L's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
BookLoverL

Re: L's Journal

Post by BookLoverL »

We'd managed to get a free washing machine from the estate of a local pensioner who'd sadly died, only after my dad had helped install it we thought it wasn't working because it wasn't draining.

BUT

It turns out that the reason it wasn't draining is because my dad forgot to take the thing that blocked the pipe between the sink pipe and the washing machine pipe out.

So, that's good, because now I don't need to look for another free washing machine, or get rid of this one.

Mildly annoying though, because I could have been doing my washing here instead of having to keep taking it to my parents' still for the last two weeks. xD

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

So right now I have 3 main sources of work-related income: doing maths tuition, working in an office for 2 to 3 days a week doing scanning and filing, and doing a new part time job I picked up in October that's an average of five and a half hours a week and mostly work from home. (I get some smaller bits of money too here and there, like I probably still do enough work to get around £10 per month for my dad's business, but the three I mentioned are the most significant amounts.) And my level of dissatisfaction with the office-based job has been building for a while, because it's between 12 and 18 hours a week, plus commutes, on site in an open plan office, where I need to perform full professional behaviour the whole day (and suppress the visibility of my Tourette's), and it's also really boring.

It's served a good purpose the last few years - it was the first place I worked after I moved back up here after dropping out of my failed teacher training course, when I'd been earning nothing at all for around 5 months after dropping out, and really just needed something simple and easy to build up my confidence in myself as a worker, and then later I was able to switch to doing it on a technically self-employed basis, with my clients for doing admin work at the time being that business and my dad's business. And especially since I've switched to that self-employed mode, it's provided a stable-yet-flexible core of work that gave me a decent base income while still giving me time to learn the things I needed to learn in the rest of my time.

However, now, at this point, I've been gradually and continuously working on my social skills and business skills for around 5 years. I am significantly more capable of projecting confidence to potential clients and employers, and have figured out how to get people to "buy" into me as a person more. I've been running my maths tuition business successfully since the end of March 2019. I aced the interview for the other part time work I picked up, beating out 2 other candidates despite not having previous direct experience with that type of role, only things that were tangentially related. Due to this new work I've got, I've also become a lot more comfortable with business phone calls and emails.

I don't think the office work is helping me grow any more, basically. It's not a terrible office to work in - the other people there are all decent people - but really the only positive about it is the money, and it's sucking up more time and brain energy than I want it to, especially in winter when I do 3 days because that's their busy season.

Now, what I think I really WANT to do, which I'm more directly able to pursue now I've moved out and don't have my parents pressuring me to do this or that and fulfil their idea of a model citizen, is to do more writing. So I'm planning to set a goal of working up on evenings and weekends to earning £100 per week from some sort of writing-based income, and I'm going to start looking into ways of doing that ASAP. And once I get to that, I'll give the office one month's notice of me stopping working for them.

(Don't want to just drop the office immediately before I do that because with the new rental, it'd mean I'd eat quite a bit of savings this year while I got the writing idea going. So I'd like to roadtest the writing plan before I let go of the office income.)

But yeah, I'm just so fed up with having my brain bored out of my skull by scanning 15 files of identical format in a row, and similar tasks... It's definitely time to move forward, I think.

bigato

Post by bigato »

Have you considered the possibility of asking them for adaptations before you actually quit? Things that would improve your quality of life doing this job? Doing it from home maybe? Or asking about moving to a quieter part of the office or another place with less stimulus if that would be a possibility? You probably can think of more adaptation ideas. Maybe even asking about other job inside the same company. I mean, if you are going to quit, you have nothing to lose anyway.

bigato

Post by bigato »

Today a friend with adhd mentioned that she started using the app called “forest”, which by her description is kind of a gamified pomodoro, and she says it’s doing wonders for her. I figured you might be interested.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

Well, it's not really a job that it's actually possible to do from home, because 75% of it is physically scanning the paper files that the other people in the office have prepared, and it's also a very small office building (roughly 14 employees in total, and there are only 2 of us doing admin and the other one is the main office administrator) so there are no other parts of the office to move to). So I don't think they really have any way of making the environment better for me, and I already have flexible working days and my break distributed how I want since I've been self employed there. But really the issue isn't with how the company is treating me, it's with me being incredibly bored of using my brainpower to scan a lot of boring files in a row and produce a lot of almost identical invoices (the company doesn't seem to do mail-merge). xD So long term, it's just not really in alignment with my web of goals any more.

I haven't heard of the app, but I'll check it out. :)

bigato

Post by bigato »

Other approach would be to automate your current job out of existence and hopefully getting some money from it. Would you be interested in tackling that problem? Because by the sounds of it, there a lot of inefficiency that could be solved.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

Eh, probably not, to be honest. Some of the things could be automated (though some couldn't), but I'm not really interested in that company enough to want to bother doing it. I think there are some flaws in the company that I hadn't noticed before too - I'm charging by the hour, so I always just leave at the time I said whether the work is done or not, but there's a lot of grumbling amongst the salaried workers that they're becoming overworked.

I've wanted to earn money from writing for ages - like, if I had a magic lever of make me suddenly completely FI already, I would still write at that point for fun. I know it can be tough to get going, but I think that's because most writers don't bother learning how to market their work, so they just get lost in the sea of writing nobody's heard about. So I think given that I've been reading about how to market writing in bits and pieces over the last couple of years, I have an advantage there. Obviously nothing is a given though, which is one reason why I'd like to get it going before leaving the other place. But at the other place I think I'm mostly just interested in going through the motions while also sneakily reading more articles about stuff I actually want to know about when I'm doing a task that mostly doesn't need the computer screen.