Just A Journal

Where are you and where are you going?

Just A Journal

Post by 010101 »

My Starting Point
  • 23 year old male
  • American military veteran
  • Current credit card debt: $9,275.81
  • Using my Post 9/11 G.I. Bill 1st year of university as an English Education major
  • Working p/t in a library, amount of money earned per month is undetermined as of yet
  • Making $1,250/month though G.I. Bill
My Goals
  • Work myself out of debt in one year
  • Become a proficient copywriter, and be able to support myself purely from freelancing
  • Obtain Italian citizenship
  • Work towards a 3 Flag Theory lifestyle

Kriegsspiel

Re: Just A Journal

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Why are you majoring in English Education? If you want to be a copywriter, I'd think something like marketing be more applicable, and also gives you a Plan B. English Education seems like a major only good if you want to be an English teacher.

Post by 010101 »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 pm
Why are you majoring in English Education? If you want to be a copywriter, I'd think something like marketing be more applicable, and also gives you a Plan B. English Education seems like a major only good if you want to be an English teacher.
My thought process had been that it would give me more credibility teaching ESL overseas.
I later learned three things:
1) I am indeed a native English speaker.
2) I can more easily get a quality TEFL/TESL certification from a reputable institution.
3) It would be wiser to major in something else that could potentially provide me a 2nd or 3rd stream of income.

After coming to that realization after the fact, I'm now setting my sights on developing my copywriting skills, teaching English to foreigners via Skype, and then having a physical job.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

010101 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:17 pm
My thought process had been that it would give me more credibility teaching ESL overseas.
I later learned three things:
1) I am indeed a native English speaker.
2) I can more easily get a quality TEFL/TESL certification from a reputable institution.
3) It would be wiser to major in something else that could potentially provide me a 2nd or 3rd stream of income.

After coming to that realization after the fact, I'm now setting my sights on developing my copywriting skills, teaching English to foreigners via Skype, and then having a physical job.
So you changed your major? What are you saying?

Post by 010101 »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm
So you changed your major? What are you saying?
No. Those are some of the things that became obvious after I already made the switch. Sorry for the confusion.