Re: _bb_ Journal

Post by _bb_ »

February & March Finance Report

FEB S.R. .-> 64.44%
MAR S.R. -> 56.85%
2020 S.R. -> 67.12%
SWR . . . . -> 37.96%
CYoLEC*. -> 2.70

A personal lack of discipline prevented me from calculating these numbers sooner. The only reason the savings rates remained somewhat high was they were high income months as well. There is still a lot of room for improvement on the variable expense side - such as ordering food - that can be addressed. I am kicking myself because had I been diligently tracking these expenses I would have curbed the spending earlier.

Moving forward, I plan on trying to track expenses each week and report the monthly numbers. I feel like this will be sustainable and useful to remain personally accountable.

I've also started tracking my savings withdrawal rate and my current years of living expense. Something that I had not previously included in my spreadsheet, but thanks to reading the journals of others I finally internalized the importance of these numbers. I am tracking the SWR on a TTM average and the CYOLE is calculated at the end of each month.

*Current Years of Living Expenses covered

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

April

APR S.R. -> 55.27%
2020 S.R. -> 65.09%
SWR. . . . -> 35.58%
CYoLEC . -> 2.91

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

Something interesting happened today at work, it was a comment made by my manager today during a team meeting. The comment was meant to be motivational, however I almost threw up. The comment was something along the lines of, "You should be spending more time outside of working hours that can help you make more money during working hours. You don't need your hobbies, you should be focused on making money at this job."

It was truly the first time that I've past the point of no return. The comment was made with good intention and others on my team responded with they typical rahrah! go gett'em attitude. I finally understood what it is I am aiming for exactly, I am prioritizing time over money. Money is simply a tool, but it is not the only tool available. Spending my time outside of work improving and developing skills to provide monetary gain is not a motivator, the motivation is learning simply because it is interesting and useful TO ME!

For the time being I still need to blend in and play the role of a dependable employee because I am still very much dependent on this stream of income. However, I am looking forward to the day that I can decouple completely from wage income and more freely follow my curiosity. For now, I think of myself as a deep cover operative, playing a role until one day I can retire from the field.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

_bb_ wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm
The comment was made with good intention
No. The comment was made to guilt trip people and make them feel like they aren't doing their best and aren't putting in their all. "You should focus your time outside work on trying to find ways to make more money at work" -- ok, but who are you making that money for? Part of it is for yourself, yes. But your employer takes a cut.

You rightly sensed that this is psychological manipulation, and that your employer cares very little about whether your life is full or your soul is whole. The rah-rah people probably sensed it too, but also knew they were supposed to perform enthusiasm if they are to fit in with corporate culture. Insightful of you to see through the manipulation. Use it to fuel your determination to purchase your freedom.

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

May

May S.R. -> 67.39%
2020 S.R. -> 65.57%
SWR. . . . -> 34.46%
CYoLEC . -> 2.99

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

@ertyu, you're right. I'm still within the metaphorical cave, but I've seen the light!

Ironically, the day after I wrote the post above I was given a new position. One with (allegedly) more responsibility and less oversight. I'm now more in the background which suits me better than what I had been doing. I took it because I still must play the corporate game. I think my attitude of indifference was a contributing factor in their decision.

We've been designing tiny house layouts and looking at some of the numbers. The budget and the cash flows are speculative, but a rough estimate cash outflows would be cut by 50% and the capital spent would be recouped by the end of year 2. The rough idea is to buy a plot of land and live in the TH while we save for and build out our compound.

Conservatively, we can do all of this starting spring of next year without any debt. Having read a bunch of posts on the forum regarding the pros and cons of debt, I will say my personal stance is: never again.

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

June

June S.R. -> 37.03%
2020 S.R. -> 61.82%
SWR. . . . -> 35.56%
CYoLEC . -> 2.90

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

High spend month due to an unexpected trip to the dentist. I'll be partially reimbursed in July, but I wanted to report the numbers for future "forecasting". We also planned a small get-away in a cabin towards the end of the month for July.

Goals for July:
- Read 3 books
- Programming practice 20 cumulative hours for the month
- Run a 6 minute mile
- Draw a tree in the park