Midsize Lebowski would love it if you'd come and give him notes on Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: Midsize Lebowski would love it if you'd come and give him notes on Semi-ERE

Post by classical_Liberal »

MidsizeLebowski wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:18 pm
It now makes me palpably uncomfortable to do things that don't align with the vision I have for life-web, an excellent catalyst/signal for change no doubt.
Very cool. This is what's gonna make your life better, not more money. At least this is my opinion, and something I didn't realize until later in the ERE game. If you can set up a situation in which you maintain your vision and stay happy in day-to-day activities with any sustainable surplus of cashflow, life is good.

MidsizeLebowski

Post by MidsizeLebowski »

Thanks C_L, I came to a similar conclusion in reviewing the journals of others who are fully FI and pursuing semi-ere (yourself, Gin & Juice, BSOG, etc.). In studying journals and in reflection it's became apparent that my objectives have nothing to do with total sloth enabled by a mythical number but were instead the simple freedom to take time off as desired/deemed necessary as well as the ability to pursue that which I'm interested in without need for renumeration at a US median income level.

MidsizeLebowski

February 2020

Net Income: $4044
Total Spending:$2561
Net savings: $1483 (36.7%)

Spending Breakdown
Housing: $1112
Rent:$1050
Utilities (Gas, Water, Electric): $62

Transportation: $201.90
Auto Ins: $23.60
Gas/Maintenance:$178.30

Food: $730.73
Groceries:$470.55
Dining out: $260.18

Communication: $53
Cell:$32
Internet:$21

Entertainment: $0

Health Insurance: $348

Miscellaneous: $52.40

(Book on mushroom cultivation, seeds, peat moss)

Canine Tax: $63

Net worth (+/- prior month): $35100 (+$208)
Cash: $7074
HSA:$450
Pre-Tax:$26930
Post-Tax :$646

WR @ TTM:119.9%
WR @ LCOL: 51.79%
WR @ Semi-ERE: 24.44%

Thoughts/Review:

Pretty typical month, will add more notes here when time permits, a couple things of note.

MidsizeLebowski

"A couple things of note" ... that turned out to be an understatement!

We're in central California, and have been under "shelter in place" orders since last Wednesday. DGF's work has closed and she is now unemployed w/ the exception of ~5 hrs/week online store management for her employer. My work has also been closed under the mandate, but I've been able to maintain roughly 50% of my clients by meeting remotely. If not having discovered ERE 1.5 years ago we'd be in a very fragile position, so for that I am beyond grateful. As it stands we are not insulated as many of you are, but our mindset is one of adaptability, an asset in it's own right.

We're in a strange place, Axel_Heyst made reference in his journal to the mental calm which accompanies limited degrees of freedom. We are very much experiencing the antithesis of this.

Our current lease ends in 3 months and neither of us are tied to this region whatsoever now due to employment changes. If working remotely is met positively by clients I'll have $25-30k/yr independent of location, a modest but not insignificant income (he preaches to the ERE choir).

This is coupled with a strange enjoyment of "quarantine life". That life looks like an abrupt shift from the 9-5 world for DGF and the 4AM-8pm world for myself into the realm of waking slowly sans alarm, cooking and eating all meals together, a day of equal parts gardening at home/volunteering at the farm/reading/hiking/walking/exercising/working with clients 3-4 hours 3 days/week. This feels like living at its finest with the exception of economic/societal uncertainty.

The lessons of the COVID crisis have hit close to home. It was one thing to delve into permaculture via books/content/workshops and dip one's toes into a resilient world before returning to "normal life" dependent upon fragile food systems, the national/world economy. This situation has made it apparent that rather than working to create a resilient life down the road in 5-10 years being sufficient , the clock has been running the entirety of our adult lives (and prior to that) whether we wanted to acknowledge it or not.

Many things to mull over, are we in position for career/lifestyle change? Financially? Mentally?

I've long wanted to shift into a farming/homestead lifestyle. Part of volunteering at the farm was to get hands on experience here to make sure it wasn't just a passing fancy that would be washed away during in the downpours of a first day of sloshing through muddy intra-bed paths. Months, and a few rainy days of work, later I'm only more drawn to the lifestyle and the reality it's based in.

At least there's much time to strategize in the coming months.

"This isn't to assume that this crisis will or is even likely to solve many problems for us, only that it provides a rare opportunity in which to make deep shifts both personally and collectively. The naked emperor that is industrial society has never been more obvious than it is now."
- Ben Falk author of the Resilient Farm and Homestead

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Wishing you the best as we wait out the COVID crisis.

Even though my own living situation is fragile, I think having an ERE mindset and understanding its principles are helpful in and of themselves.

In my own journal I echoed the sentiment that although I was planning to build resiliency over the next 5-10 years, I feel a need to do it much more quickly now that we have a real crisis. I've thought about homesteading as well; I would want to find a good group of friends to do it with though.