My literal retirement scoreboard and the search for a new obsession in life

Where are you and where are you going?
unemployable

Re: My literal retirement scoreboard and the search for a new obsession in life

Post by unemployable »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pm
Interested to know where the authorities would tell you to shelter when you say you are homeless.
That's their problem, not mine.
Still looking for an obsession?
Yes, but first I'm looking for a car.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

It's nice to hear from you, despite the shit luck you had with the elk.

Jason

Post by Jason »

US News reported that there were 34 Elk collisions in Teton County in 2019 down from the 40's in two prior years but an increase to 28 Moose collisions, the majority occurring on Moose-Wilson Road. In all, 267 animals were hit in 2019. That's one per business day. Seems like a great place to own an auto body shop.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Jason wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm
US News reported that there were 34 Elk collisions in Teton County in 2019 down from the 40's in two prior years but an increase to 28 Moose collisions, the majority occurring on Moose-Wilson Road. In all, 267 animals were hit in 2019. That's one per business day. Seems like a great place to own an auto body shop.
That's just the ones they know about. I had no reason to report mine, as the car was and is still driveable. Although maybe they just count carcasses at the side of the road.

I did take it to a body shop to get some advice on how to proceed. The owner advised me to put in a new coolant holding reservoir (it had busted open in the collision) but did not charge me for labor. So if any of you are ever in a similar situation I strongly recommend you go see Eric at Mike's Body Shop in Jackson.

If you want to junk your car in Jackson, Wyoming you basically have to call a tow truck and tow it 50 miles to Idaho Falls.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Did the elk you hit die at the scene?

34 elk x 200lbs of boneless meat = 6,800lbs of roadkill. Average cost per pound is $15.00?. That's approx $100K lying by the side of the road per annum. Have to think there is a thriving black market?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Jason wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm
Did the elk you hit die at the scene?

34 elk x 200lbs of boneless meat = 6,800lbs of roadkill. Average cost per pound is $15.00?. That's approx $100K lying by the side of the road per annum. Have to think there is a thriving black market?
He (was a buck; had a huge rack) ran off into the gloaming. It was close to 10pm and I was driving towards my intended sleeping spot. I pulled into the first pullout area I saw to inspect the car. Something was leaking -- turned out to be the antifreeze -- and I decided to turn around and try to drive back to the town of Jackson. I did not see the elk alongside the road, nor did I go back there in the daytime.

I doubt I could've lifted and fit the thing into the car (small SUV), and then I'd have the issue of where to sleep. Guess I need to work on my systems theory.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Is this the culprit?!
I caught him wondering around Jenny Lake in GT circa 2018, so he may have changed his hairstyle or facial hair. He looks like trouble.

Anyway, glad you're OK. Also glad to have you back, with or without the scoreboard and a new obsession.

Jason

Post by Jason »

That buck looks like he had his eyes set on a Boeing to take out.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

The Elk have learned not waste their time, the Boeing will come crashing down to them.

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

Jason wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm
Interesting factoid (or not).

Recently, and perhaps still, Teton County was the county with the greatest income inequality in the United States. It is home to billionaires and millionaires, but most who live there are commoners, if they can afford it. Jackson, Wyoming is gorgeous, of course. Economically, however, it doesn’t really reflect the rest of the state. Most visitors to Wyoming nonetheless flock to Jackson to “experience” Wyoming, not realizing that they are missing out on the rest of the state, which is equally gorgeous — and affordable.

The relatively high wildlife/vehicle impact numbers for Teton County likely reflect the presence of a lot of visitors there coupled with a high elk population. There are a lot of elk in that part of the state, along with a famous elk refuge. If you want to see elk, travel to Jackson in the winter.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Took me long enough but I finally got another car.

It was the exact make, model, trim level and year as the car I got rid of. Different color though.

I used Peddle to sell my old car and got a bit over $2000 for it. This was by far the most efficient way to get rid of it, and it helped greatly that the car was driveable. Net-net, the new car cost me some 1.3% of my net worth. It wasn't easy laying out that kind of cash in the current financial market environment, but it could've been worse.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I'll put this in the record now because if I say it later it may be perceived as ensuing from the election: I have stopped giving a fuck.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Most recent literal retirement scoreboard appearance October 2019

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I'm not sure you can fairly claim the high ground on calling people out on their dormant posts with loose ends.

In any event, the leftmost digit of my net worth has rolled a few times. I got back to my summer place last week and the scoreboard and digits are still in storage anyway. In the intervening period, money has become an increasingly solved problem, and other priorities have arisen, which I've shunted off to another thread and am still in the process of crafting an update thereto.

unemployable

Re: My literal retirement scoreboard

Post by unemployable »

I have started a new thread.