My literal retirement scoreboard

Where are you and where are you going?
Igotgoals

Re: My literal retirement scoreboard

Post by Igotgoals » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Love your numbers. What they say and how they look.

unemployable

Post by unemployable » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Posting an update to keep this thread alive.

On December 1 I moved out of my apartment (condo) for the winter and sublet it. I am spending the winter on the Gulf Coast with my mom, who is now a widow. This is a mutually beneficial relationship, as I help her with maintenance projects and pay some of her bills while living somewhere relatively warm and saving on household expenses. In addition I'm making some money for the two of us by selling off some of my late father's collectibles and hobby equipment -- Mom is getting her cut of that, too. So some of the usual scoreboard metrics don't apply, and besides, the board is packed away.

This activity will save me around a full point on my withdrawal rate for the year, from the low 4s to the low 3s. I'll probably spend some of the savings but should still have a WR for 2019 comfortably in the 3-handle.

My net worth at the beginning of February stood at four hundred fifty thousand dollaridoos (I prefer not using digits to make it harder to get doxxed; note all my other representations of this amount have been in image form), which was up from four twenty-six at the start of the year. I'm broadly correlated to the stock market, and while I have changed my asset allocation slightly it still tilts non-US.

Before I turned the apartment over I did a fair amount of decluttering, and am rather proud of how much I did. Got rid of four or five tubs' worth, including one I was planning on keeping with a friend but decided to give to Goodwill instead. I rent and sublet the apartment furnished, and basically all my possessions fit either under the bed (which isn't mine), in a storage closet measuring about 3' by 2' or in my car (including the car itself), and I don't need much of the car even. And I can improve on that, mostly by selling off some more valuables and getting rid of dress clothes I used to wear for work but haven't touched in almost a decade now.

I've started looking at buying a house/condo and depending on what happens with markets am shooting for doing this in the next year or two, but probably not immediately. I suspect real estate will be flat to slightly down in the places I'm looking at, due to multiple factors -- rising mortgage rates, millennials not buying second homes and economic stagnation/decline in the areas I'm looking being the salient ones. I'm definitely feeling the paradox of choice over this already, given factors involved (price, location, type of dwelling, level of maintenance effort and cost, whether I'd try to AirBnB it out when I'm not there and the issues that brings) and considering I don't have a job this place would need to be near.

Another relative on my dad's side has come down with terminal cancer right around the age everyone else did (77-78), which makes me even more aware of my mortality and affirms that's probably how much longer I have to live.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Gotta say I am in love with your literal scoreboard.

Can I ask how using digits would make it easier to be doxxed?

unemployable

Post by unemployable » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Cheepnis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm
Gotta say I am in love with your literal scoreboard.

Can I ask how using digits would make it easier to be doxxed?
It probably doesn't, especially considering I freely use other signaling terms such as "net worth". However, I am a bit paranoid of the online trail we all leave, and say I post to another forum that I quit working 10 years ago, or that I hike a lot on weekdays, and someone who wants to know more about me is led here and discovers my financial details. A sufficiently determined person or program would probably make the connection anyway, but it does add another layer to sift through. I've already discovered this myself, running into people using the same or similar usernames on different boards and posting information that strongly indicates they're the same person, without my even trying to find them.

I've heard of people on FI-related boards getting PMed out of the blue asking for money; who knows if it'll be an alumni association or debt collector some day.

Thanks for the compliment.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:26 pm

I've definitely seen people across boards. Anybody who has seen me post on MMM could definitely connect the dots based off the information I've shared, though I don't think I quite share enough for someone to track me down IRL unless they already know me*. I'm pretty frank about lots of things and anybody who actually knows me would know very quickly I think.

*Who am I kidding, I'm sure there are ways if somebody was motivated enough.

I find my preferred approach is to not share much I wouldn't share with most anyone should they ask. NW numbers are probably the most sensitive thing I've shared, but I'm starting to limit that. I'm less worried about my income numbers because in my industry we're all under the same contract and have the same base pay, so unless someone is payed above scale (which I'm sure has and is happening) we all have the same pay. The contract pay scale is also pretty easily findable with some basic info should someone go looking for it.

cimorene12

Post by cimorene12 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm

I hope you (unemployable) are enjoying spending the winter on the Gulf Coast. In terms of weather, it is quite a bit nicer here than the Midwest, where I used to live.

unemployable

Post by unemployable » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm

cimorene12 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm
I hope you (unemployable) are enjoying spending the winter on the Gulf Coast. In terms of weather, it is quite a bit nicer here than the Midwest, where I used to live.
I am! I'm not literally on the coast but about 20 miles in, and certainly don't miss Chicago.