Tilting at Windmills(Prognastat's Journal)

Where are you and where are you going?
Augustus

Re: Tilting at Windmills(Prognastat's Journal)

Post by Augustus » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Sadly I am only capable of a nice neard and mutton chops. I would have fit in great in the 1800s

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 am

Augustus wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 pm
Well you could always change your name to Ezekiel, move to Amish country and become an in demand eligible bachelor there.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Haha that is a lot of curls!!!

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am

Well, start of this month I used the majority of my personal spending budget on an archery target so now that I live too far to get to archery class I can still practice by myself in the backyard. Did some practice both Saturday and Sunday, which was great after not having been able to do it much for the past 1-2 months. Through a combination of not having done it as much the past 1-2 months and getting off a lot more shots per hour when it's just me and I'm not alternating with students. I only managed to do about 75 minutes with about 120 shots with my 40 lbs bow across Saturday and Sunday and can feel it in my arm even now a day later. Hoping to eventually build up to an hour+ of non-stop shooting both days.

The downside of having to do it outside is I need daylight and generally I'm away from home until it's dark during the week. The target was quite affordable at about $70 and given that classes were $20 per hour it should end up saving me quite a bit in very little time. I'll probably need to eventually find a way to get transportation to a class just to go once a month to make sure I'm moving in the right direction with my skills rather than teaching myself bad habits, but having a coach actually give me feedback. However $20 once a month would still be significant savings over 1-2 times a week.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am

prognastat wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Complete 1 video game per month.
So how's this one going? :D

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

cmonkey wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am
Not making a lot of progress on my additional goals so far.

I started Disgaea 1 Complete, however despite putting in over 10 hours over the past 1-2 months or so only just getting started. JRPGs probably aren't conducive to completing 1 game a month unless I can manage 10+ hours a week which I haven't even come close to. Chances are to complete this game would require at least 50 hours and if I'm not rushing through 100+.

Then there is also trying to balance this with the other 2 additional goals which I have yet to hit either.

I'm making good progress on ERE the first non-fiction book I decided to read, but it's taken about the same 1-2 months to get about 2/3rds of the way through that. As for fiction the closest I've gotten is completing the Graphic Novel Graveyard Shift, which isn't really the same kind of investment as completing a full fiction book.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:37 am

Nice.

I'm not convinced on the total negativity/ban surrounding video gaming as an adult, when done in moderation I feel they have a good spot in the leisure line up. It's a good way to hang on to some semblance of childhood for myself. I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy myself and also enjoy Steam titles like Stardew Valley and have done well over the past 6-9 months of getting in a few hours a week.

Good work on losing so much weight as well, you've got me thinking that a gym membership should be in my expense sheet once we move. The last time DW and I were really on top of our weight/muscle was in college when we had access to the YMCA. A home routine just never works for me andd jogging wears the joints too much. Investing in large equipment is just a bad idea. I'd rather dedicate some capital to that and let someone else maintain it.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 pm

I expect myself to probably still be playing games some even when I'm an old man. It definitely fluctuates, I have had times where I took a week off work, had a staycation and put in 100+ hours in 9 days. I was completing a series I loved, but had never completed(.hack//G.U.), but frequently I also only have an hour or two to spend on games in a week. I put 50+ hours into Stardew Valley year before last barely scratching the surface, definitely another game that can be a huge time-sink.

One of the other games I've played some this year too and haven't "completed" is Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. Another one that's hard to really complete.

Thanks, work/finances and health are currently my two big goals/focus for this first year after the divorce. As I reach both my financial and health goals they will probably shrink a little making more room for my other goals/hobbies. Right now I have the benefit of being able to use my work gym which charges only $5 per paycheque(2 weeks) and provides a gym, a sauna, showers(clean towels and soap included), shaving gear and even does some of my laundry for me(pretty much everything excerpt for my jeans). Hard to beat that kind of a deal.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 pm

prognastat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am
archery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Couldn't resist posting this - it's like Wheaton level 8 of archery (at least from an amateur's perspective).

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:11 pm

There is actually some controversy surrounding Lars and I guess what would be called the archery community. Probably in large portion because he tends to shit on traditional interpretations of archery a lot and at time is either misinformed or a little dishonest about what it is he's doing and in his representation of archery history.

Not to say that what he does isn't impressive in it's own right, but he tends to shoot at far shorter distances and draw weight than would be expected in both historical and modern use. In actual battle where distances tend to start longer and people would have been far more armoured shooting a lightweight bow a lot would just mean a higher level of wasted arrows.

Also some safety concerns where he does things every archer/coach would be horrified by the mere thought of it.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:30 am

For example as far as I'm aware he shoots a 35 pound bow and doesn't bring it to full draw meaning he is probably getting about 25 pounds out of it at best. In most states it's illegal to hunt with anything under 40 pounds because it is considered cruel since it might not actually pass through and give a clean kill and instead merely injure the animal. That's against an unarmoured target. Now imagine using what he has against targets wearing actual armour. Chances are it would already struggle with gambeson at anything but the shortest of distances and would be useless if mail or plate were added at almost any distance.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm

All good points. What looks impressive from an amateur's point of view, might not look so for someone who actually knows the thing. However, it still looks impressive.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Well it's not that what he does isn't impressive.

It's more that he is misrepresenting his trick shooting as historical or somehow better than modern archery when it's simply different in that most historical and modern archery focuses over penetration and/or accuracy over longer distances and he has focussed in honing his speed at short range.