Hristo's FI Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Hristo Botev

Re: Hristo's FI Journal

Post by Hristo Botev »

Thanks for your thoughtful post, and for providing your experience, as you really do appear to be about 20 years ahead of me in a lot of ways, and I really appreciate your insights. Some thoughts:

On the capitalism point. One thing DW and I have always had a disconnect with, as it concerns our respective industries: In the law, the economics are really, really easy; not so at all in healthcare (or, at least, I sure as hell don't understand it). When I was still in BigLaw, my fellow associates always whined about the junior partner from our team's compensation committee who had the unfortunate task of sitting in on all the associates' annual evaluations and explaining what their compensation would be for the next year, and why. The reason my fellow associates didn't like the partner? He was too black and white on the numbers--you brought in $A in revenue this year; your compensation was $B; and the overhead attributable to you was $C--that's a profit (or loss) of $X. I, however, LOVE this approach. I don't expect my employer to "value" me apart from how much money they can make off of me; I know that sounds cold, but if you're looking to your employer and/or your job for anything other than just compensation (that's "just" as in "justice"--to each his fair share), you're going to be disappointed. So, I'll disagree with you that my old BigLaw partners didn't owe me anything--they owed me just compensation for the profit they made off of my work/time that they wouldn't have made had I not been there. And job security for me was getting myself so ingrained in my matters and in the lives of the clients with whom I worked that it would have been really, really hard for the partners to try and replace me with some other attorney. They of course could have replaced me, but as you know, it's expensive and time consuming to train an associate and to get him up to speed with clients/matters.

But that's the law; I don't get how the economics work in healthcare, or really in any industry where your employees are for the most part on the expense side, as opposed to the revenue side. It's too difficult to show what value you, personally, bring to the table in a corporate setting--where you've got so many redundancies and inefficiencies already.

On the unpleasantness of life, I don't necessarily disagree (to a point), but man, some good old fashioned gratitude goes a really long way--whether of the Ignatian or Stoic variety, or some other. When you look at all the gifts you've been given (your kids, your wife, etc.), and all the thousands of miracles those gifts represent, and how unworthy you are of those gifts, it's pretty difficult to view the world as unpleasant and hard and unfair.

Which brings me to the religion point (you kinda threw that one in there!); I guess I'm just one who can't contemplate my own marriage, or my own kids, or my parents, or my godkids, or my existence on this planet, and not see the hand of God. And no religion is perfect, certainly (even, I dare say, my own Catholic faith), but any religion that calls you to look up from time to time, and realize that, in fact, you are not the center of the world (and your life isn't actually about you), is a net positive.

On your wife leaving the workforce, admittedly I hadn't thought about the latch-key/middle school kid thing, but that's a really good point. Our own DD will be entering 6th grade next year, and but for the change in DW's schedule, DD likely would have been charged with making sure she and her brother got home from school and started on their homework until DW got home from work. That wouldn't have been a whole lot of time, but it would've been some time. I'm very glad, for the reasons you mentioned, that DW will be able to be home when the kids get home from school--we are very fortunate in that regard.

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

I don’t envy parenting in the modern age, with iPhones, social media and all of that. And middle and high schools are the danger zone; even good kids can go awry during those fleetingly years. We sacrificed dual income for enhanced parental supervision when that window opened up; and it turned out to be a wise choice.

As she got older, and before she passed, Mom made the following observation, which I think is wise: “It isn’t fun getting old, but if you could in fact live your life over again, would you want to?” She then referenced the middle school years.

Next week, the OSIRIS-REx probe is going to scoop up a tiny bit of asteroid Bennu, then send it back to Earth for a 2023 arrival. Here’s a picture of Bennu, with the Earth and Moon in the far background (image credit: https://www.space.com/42955-osiris-rex- ... photo.html). Aside from Sagan’s “Pale Blue Dot” image, this pretty much captures a lot for me — literally and figuratively— and I very much know I am not the center of anything.

Thank you for letting me intrude upon your thoughtful journal, and I apologize for these detours.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Is that the Earth and the Moon at the bottom left? That's incredible! Thanks for sharing (b/c I'm a goober, that's now my desktop background!).

On another topic, I'm looking forward to reading this study on car seats as contraception: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3665046. Cost was a big reason we chose not to have a third kid way back when, and knowing what I know now, that's a really stupid reason.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Good stuff: https://granolashotgun.com/2014/12/15/p ... es-and-no/ (took a lunchtime trek through the recommended reading thread of this forum). Trying to square this (and JMG, and Huxley, and Orwell, and Industrial Society and Its Future), with this interesting and much more optimistic view of both our past and our opportunities for our future: https://rootsofprogress.org/industrial-literacy. Can industry/technology be moderated and improved, or are we necessarily heading for a collapse and a return to pre-industrial times (which necessarily means losing the vast majority of our population to disease and famine and all the other things that modern technology keeps at bay)?

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

My priest asked both me and DW (separately) yesterday before Mass whether we thought our parish (since the Jesuits took over, presumably) was "hostile" to folks on the right (apparently someone had told our priest exactly that). The question caught both of us off guard, as I am MUCH less forthcoming IRL as to my political leanings than I am on this forum, so I'm not exactly sure how our priest identified DW and I as his token conservatives for the purpose of his question.

Nothing really to say on this topic, just trying to process the question, I suppose. As I may have mentioned here previously, a few months back DW and I gave some thought to leaving the parish for one in which we felt a bit more comfortable--i.e., a little more justice, a little less social justice; a little more talk of sin, and a little less talk of mercy (we lost A LOT of longtime parishioners to other nearby parishes when the Jesuits took over), but ultimately we decided that this is our parish, and we're not leaving. The answer is to just get MORE involved with the parish and school, at all levels, and to recognize that if we are ever "comfortable" in our religious life, whether at our parish or otherwise, then we aren't doing it right. Just like the BEST Bible stories are the ones that make you feel really uncomfortable.

Anyway, FWIW, both DW and I responded that we thought "hostile" was too harsh a word; and we invited him to dinner to discuss further.

Biscuits and Gravy

Post by Biscuits and Gravy »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:50 am
Just like the BEST Bible stories are the ones that make you feel really uncomfortable.
Genesis 19:30-38 always made me feel super uncomfortable.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Isn’t that one just a lesson to not commit incest?

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

This is a profoundly interesting exchange.

What does Genesis 19:30-38 mean?

As a lawyer schooled in Scalia-esque original intent, I would first ask: (1) who was the author(s); (2) when were they writing -- what was the history; and (3) what was the contemporaneous meaning of those words? This is Scalia-esque legislative history/original intent classroom #101 stuff.

It gets further complicated though if, say, I was the current-day author but I was purporting to describe events that happened in the year 1450. Were Federalist authors Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison penning contemporaneous history, or something else?

And we live in a day and age when contemporaneous "news" is declared "fake" within minutes of it being published. What if I was posting today my own observations about the Spanish-American War? My "accurate" news, penned from my complicated perspectives two-centuries plus on from the event, would likely have been viewed as "fake" by the Spanish way back then, and likely in the current day.

What is a "story"? What is "fact"? What is "history"? Slippery stuff. In the United States, our current political leadership has taught us to question everything, and that ground truth isn't, at minimum, rooted in science. Our current leadership espouses that the contemporaneous written word isn't to be believed if it was penned by somebody who is opposed by the current leadership.

So what does that mean if the original author(s) of Genesis 19:30-38 were the "MSNBC" of their day?

What are we to make of words written centuries ago via many authors with complicated progeny?

What would Scalia have made of Genesis 19:30-38?

daylen

Post by daylen »

RockyMtnLiving wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:47 pm
What is a "story"? What is "fact"? What is "history"?
His story of the facts.

Jokes aside, another point to keep in mind is that the older a text is the more likely it is to persist into the future. This has a few implications/interpretations, one being that multiple interpretations will tend to arise in relative isolation and will overtime become used less consciously until merging with the "logic" of those particular communities(%). Some interpretations are successful enough to invade the common tongue thereby becoming a shared metaphor used across communities/disciplines/cultures.

(%) ..while a select few deconstruct it back to the source and reconstruct it with reference.. thus continuing the cycle.

As for what a story or fact is, putting forth a particular definition would probably miss the mark this conversation is aiming for? Or perhaps I cannot make out the target yet. :)

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

daylen wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm
Or perhaps I just cannot make out a target yet. :)
Agreed :)

I can't make out a target yet either, and since I have a huge number of years in the rear view mirror, and less years visible over the hood of my '75 Mustang, these topics are interesting to me.

I'm a conservative lawyer (or was). I'm religious (or was). I do believe in being analytical in all moments. And since the grave is a lot closer than the hospital in which I was born, these discussions are interesting to me.

Had I been smarter, I would have been a philosopher/cosmologist. Alas, I fell down the food chain and became a lawyer.

I believe in science, not faith. The former may in fact lead to the latter. I just don't know. As Feynman said, and here I am paraphrasing: "I'm comfortable saying I just don't know."

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Seriously, I’m no theologian, but I’m pretty sure it’s just a lesson against incest.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

And also pro-Israel tribalism

Biscuits and Gravy

Post by Biscuits and Gravy »

Oh. I dunno what the underlying message of that passage is and to me it’s always read as very matter-of-fact and non-didactic, but that’s neither here nor there. Really I was just trying to poke a hole in HB’s “best” argument. You could substitute any uncomfortable bible passage.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

There are 'philosophical truths' and 'factual truths.' An anthropologist will have to discover craters and somehow link it to the place those cities were in the first place to prove the latter. 'Philosophical truths' are harder to dis/prove as they are usually conversations and interactions between people but philosophical insights can be gleaned from them. Example, if you look at that story from my lens, then the emphasis is on hospitality shown towards an unannounced guest (atithi devo bhava), two in his case, which was so great that it washed away his suffering the consequence of those two of his sins.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I'm beginning to realize that perhaps the focus of the ERE journey DW and I have been going down, ever so slowly, might be better understood not as a means by which to have some financial independence and to "retire" early (though that's obviously nice), but rather as a means to prepare our kids for a world that will look a good bit different than the one we grew up in, and one where they will be well served by having some of my grandparents' Great Depression self-reliance skills. And hopefully they will be able to build off of that basic foundation for the purpose of educating their own kids, for whom I can't even imagine the world in which they will become adults in.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

OK, I voted. Where's the switch I can flip to let the world know they don't need to direct their political ads to me anymore?