ERE Year 2 - Choose Your Own Adventure - Geoarbitrage and Nomadic Lifestyle Edition

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: ERE Year 2 - Geoarbitrage, Permaculture, and Nomadic Lifestyle Design

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@Laura, on top of what c_L pointed out, I would like to take advantage of low earned income in 2020 in order to do some Roth conversions in order to qualify for ACA subsidies starting in January. Additionally, it would be a nice way to pay almost $0 taxes on the conversion.

@c_L, I generally can't complain right now. Even my seemingly "big" problems are really first world inconveniences right now. Things have been relatively peaceful here, and despite our path being completely different than what we pictured 6 months ago.....it's been quite the adventure.

With that I have an update on the whole residency debacle for DW. Looks like it's going to be a no-go this time around. We got all of our ducks in a row and went down to the vovoidship (state) office of foreign affairs, spent 2 hours filling out the necessary paperwork, only to be told that a decision will take 4 months, during which time we would already be back in the states. The decision comes by mail (first class), which requires signature to receive. Even giving someone power of attorney to pick up the letter doesn't help much, because you have to bring the letter back to the same office, get fingerprinted, pay the fees, and then wait another month for the actual residency card to once again arrive by mail. Theoretically we could have someone pick up the letter with the decision, and wait till next spring to bring it down to the office, but by then DW will have formally changed her last name to mine, and have renewed her US passport, making the process start all over again anyway.......

On the bright side, we were told that currently Americans can stay in Poland as long as they want so long as they cross the border once every <90 days. So we will just have to make a border run before Sept 7th, and then we will be good to go until we fly back to the USA.

The biggest downside of not having her Polish residency, is that time in Poland doesn't count toward the 90 days we have to stay out of the EU before returning to other countries (ie Portugal). If she were a Polish resident, she could technically do 90 days in Poland OR outside of the EU to reset the clock on the rest of Schengen.

At least now we know what a mess all of this international law is =)

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

July Financial Update

Combined Assets
$731,800 (+$21,800)

Combined Spending
July - $1,359
Trailing Twelve Months - $23,292 (-$1,300!)

Combined Income
$0 earned income
~$500 in interest/dividends

Current Withdrawal Rate
3.2% (Portfolio = 31.4X annual expenses)

Musings
Individual July spending = $651, broken down for anyone curious;

$160 Grocery
$6 Transportation
$228 Entertainment
$162 Travel
$37 Travel/Health Insurance
$20 Health/Hygiene
$16 Misc
$22 Gifts

Individually @ $12,553 - TTM Spending, 46.5X annual expenses, and a 2.15% WR

What can I say about the monies.....this is an all time high to close out the month.....and I never expected to crack 30X TTM combined expenses whilst traveling, but here we are. Individually if spending trend continues I may briefly cross below a 2% WR before it shoots back into the 3.5-4% range when we get back to the USA.

The USD dropped significantly vs. the Euro/PLN, so Poland is now ~10-12% more expensive for us vs. when we got here.

Activity/Health

We walked 243 miles in July, vs. 170 in June.

17 lifting sessions since June 29th as well!

Weight is holding steady ~202-203 lbs, which is exactly where I wanted to be.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am not sure that Roth conversations and Medicaid would be mutually exclusive. 138% of poverty and the standard deduction of ~$24k for married filing jointly are nearly the same amount.

I would completely the conversation before heading to the US should be zero problems as long as you are confident that no matter unanticipated income shows up. The expected income for ACA is all just guessing anyway. Just say you had $23k in income for 2020 and expected $27 for 2021.

2Birds1Stone

Re: ERE Year 2 - Choose Your Own Adventure - Geoarbitrage and Nomadic Lifestyle Edition

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Thanks for the advice, Laura. It should really be a non-issue as we will be fairly nomadic in 2021 as well. Will figure out how much capital gains harvesting/Roth converting needs to be done in December.

Musings

I've really been enjoying the discussions in several threads/journals on the forums over the past week. It's given me a lot to introspect about, especially with a nearly blank slate upon returning to the USA in the fall. DW and I really need to explore the USA a bit before we could even remotely pick a place to settle down (even as renters). This is going to be an interesting project, because I haven't the slightest clue how we will approach it. Between Covid-19 and its inherent complications to travel, the whole fuckery going on with domestic terrorist organizations and the upcoming elections, and a slew of other factors, I would ideally like to sit this fall/winter out somewhere outside of the USA, but that is not currently an option with the workers comp/medical stuff DW has to be in NY for.

Been geeking out on off the grid/overlanding content on YouTube lately. If someone handed me $100k right now and held a gun to my head ordering me to spend it on something outside of investments (stocks/bonds/real estate/etc), I would love to build up a self sufficient adventure vehicle.

Still enjoying Poland. Itching to go back to the mountains in the coming weeks. We have to do a border run for DW to get around the 90 day limit for USA nationals in Poland, which means we can bring a newspaper and take a selfie on the Slovakian side of the Tatra mountains next time we head down there. A train to Ukraine would have been a cool option, but there is still a 14 day quarantine when you return from a non-EU country.

Frugalchicos

Re: ERE Year 2 - Choose Your Own Adventure - Geoarbitrage and Nomadic Lifestyle Edition

Post by Frugalchicos »

I heard you about the adventure vehicle... I day dream quite often about a VW t4. With all this stuff going on, the best we can do is sit and wait or hit the road and have some fun.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:06 am
Still enjoying Poland. Itching to go back to the mountains in the coming weeks. We have to do a border run for DW to get around the 90 day limit for USA nationals in Poland, which means we can bring a newspaper and take a selfie on the Slovakian side of the Tatra mountains next time we head down there. A train to Ukraine would have been a cool option, but there is still a 14 day quarantine when you return from a non-EU country.
I presume you've researched this in detail. I was under the presumption that non-EU passports got 90 days (tourist visa) within a 180 day period and so had to stay outside of Schengen for 90 days to get back into [any] Schengen-country. The American expats I know would usually go to a non-Schengen country like the UK or the Balkans and live there for 3 months and then back again. Maybe the US has special arrangements with Poland?

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

@Jacob
I believe you are correct. I also know that there is little to no individual wiggle room for signatories to the Schengen agreement.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

jacob wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am
Maybe the US has special arrangements with Poland?
Yes,

"
"IMPORTANT FOR THE US CITIZENS: Based on an exchange of diplomatic notes between Poland and the USA, since April 15th, 1991 the US citizens are allowed to enter Poland for any 90 days period without visa. The common rule 90 days of stay in 180-day period does not apply in this case. Longer stays require Polish National Visa, provided by the Polish Consulates abroad. In case of expected duration of stay exceeds 1 year, the applicants are to apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT in the Republic of Poland. Applications shall be submitted to the relevant Office of Wojewoda (Urząd Wojewódzki). For details, please check the Office of Foreigners "

This was confirmed by border police and ministry of foriegn affairs. Due to covid leaving Poland and returning via formal border crossings is tough due to quarantine rules (ukraine) but a crossing in the mountains with a selfie for proof with a current newspaper in the frame shall suffice (advice of local immigration officer =D).

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I did want to elaborate on the above, as I responded from my mobile phone will running errands this afternoon.

This special arrangement with Poland does mean that we cannot freely travel to the rest of Schengen until we have left the entire zone for at least 90 days, it also means that we need to leave Poland directly to a non-Schengen country, vs traveling through somewhere like Germany in order to avoid any issues with the rest of the zone and their interpretation of the law. One thing we've learned throughout our whole debacle (and it's been nothing short of that since we tried to get to Poland from Portugal back in May), is that despite all of the written laws, rules, and regulations, everything is very much up to interpretation and luck in dealing with the necessary authorities in each country.......so that being said, we will do our best to keep things completely legal and make sure our exit in Oct/Nov is as clean as possible to avoid any conflicts (real or perceived).

Also, a thank you for pointing this out, because otherwise you would be right. This is one of the very few exceptions to the normal Schengen laws.