ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
bigato

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by bigato »

Congratulations on the land acquisition ffj, it looks like you are really converting a serious problem into a huge life improvement.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Looks like you are having a lot of fun. I agree about the honeysuckle. Usually I'm against herbicides but in this case I agree. Just cutting it down won't kill it.

I like your barn project. It is like a much bigger version of something I did with awhile back. At least you caught it before anything needed to be jacked back up. I hate when people cut corners on things like that just to save a few dollars.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5WN5UxB_A

An interesting solution to the shallow soil septic issue. It may or may not be useful, since some soil has already been trucked in. But maybe you have better uses for that soil...

Congratulations on your new adventure! I'm watching with joyful anticipation.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@bigato

I fell good about it and it has given me something to get motivated about. I do get a little frustrated on how long some of these tasks take to finish however. I have so many jobs lined up in my head that I want to start checking off some boxes.

@Gilberto

That's the only way to kill that stuff. Anything else is a pruning.

For the amount of work I've put into fixing someone else's ineptitude, I could have almost built a new one from scratch, correctly. But the barn has grown on me simply because I have performed so much work to get it structurally sound. I have reinforced this thing into a tank. But yeah, I have never seen so many corners cut on a building before.

@rigger

Interesting. I've often wondered why one couldn't use the effluent from a tank as a fertilizer for gardens. Especially if it was filtered.

It wasn't too joyful today, haha.

That's my rock hauler having to be pulled out of my field. After he dumped all 22 tons of stone to lighten his load, which was about 100 feet away from where I wanted it. :x

The ground was frozen and I just assumed with an 80,000 pound truck that traction would not be an issue on fairly level ground, and apparently he thought the same thing because once his wheels started spinning he decided to back his rig downhill and away from the dump site where he really got stuck. My exact thought as he was doing this was " what the fuck is he doing?" Haha

However, the guy with the tractor was able to load my barn up with his front end loader after saving the day. Cost me an extra hundred dollars but what can you do? I trusted that the rock hauler guy knew the capabilities of his truck. He told me afterwards that he got his truck stuck a few days before too.

After several hours of shoveling rock. It was so cold today that the only way to stay warm was to work so a lot got done. I have a few more hours tomorrow to level everything out.

Had an interesting fire run the other day. This little guy fell down a sinkhole and had to be rescued. I was on standby with my ropes and pulleys but the backhoe operator was able dig enough out to where he just jumped out. I was a little disappointed to be honest that I wasn't able to do a rope rescue.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Thank goodness the rock work is done. It took me two days but I moved around 14 tons of rock by hand. One shovelful at a time. Just goes to show how much you can get done even if you don't have machinery available. I'm tired though. :) The barn is pretty much done now except for some small details and gladly I can move on to other projects. It cost me around $900 to renovate and a couple weeks of work, but it was worth saving.

In my spare time I have been going down various rabbit holes on YouTube, namely the permaculture route. I spent about 2 hours the other night learning about mealworms, which aren't worms at all apparently. They kind of gross me out but they would be great for chicken feed. It looks crazy easy to raise these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7X6E4Bd_7g

I also came across probably the most beautiful example of purposeful planting I have ever seen. This place looks like it came from a Disney movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9T4T-LqQJk

Now I think this lady is a bit kooky with all of her Goddess references, but wow what a beautiful place she has created. Truly stunning.

Here is another fantastic reference for permaculture.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp6Ia4 ... bhQ31EBRmg

I've watched a lot of his videos and they are excellent and full of great content.

And one more. This guy is a no-nonsense farmer from Sweden who has his operation down pat. I've been watching him for years and he is also a great source of information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrintegralpermanence

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Move 14 tonnes, what do you get? A scratched-up shovel and a bucket of sweat!

I often read warnings that mealworms are too poor in nutrition to be a primary food source for reptiles and the like, to the point where lots of breeders dust them with vitamin powders prior to feeding. I'd imagine foraging chickens would have no issues with this however. Having raised a few mealworms, they smell terrible too! Like slightly less fetid cockroaches.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Like slightly less fetid cockroaches.

I'm out. My chickens can find their own worms. :)

ffj

Post by ffj »

It took a days work but I got the wood from the Craigslist seller safely in the dry. I was thoroughly tired after having to load and unload this amount of wood in a day but the realization that I was saving a couple grand helped to lighten my mood quite a bit.

The wood came from a house that measured 28 feet wide by 60 feet long. It's basically the entire roofing system that I bought and if I keep the width and pitch for my future shop than I won't have to cut any rafters or ceiling joists. All of the ridges, birds mouths, and rafter tails are already cut. Also, the rafters were on a 16 inch on center layout, and if I shorten my shop to say 48 or 52 feet and layout on 24 inch centers, then I should be able to frame up the entire shop without having to buy additional wood or close to it.

The backstory is that a neighbor of the seller was going to tear down the house and burn it. Back in the 1970's the house had been hit by a tornado and the roof had been torn off so they rebuilt the roof, which is what I have now. But the original house was really old and fell apart and the owner told the seller he could have anything he wanted, and he spent two weeks dismantling the roof and pulling every nail, even in the 70 plus sheets of plywood! That's a lot of nails and I don't know that I would have messed with the plywood but he did a good job with minimal tear out. The seller asked me to send him a picture of the shop after framing which I will happily do.

My cleanup of the farm continues. I have a constant war with invasive species such as honeysuckle, wild rose, and grape vines. Add to the mix fencing and barbed wire and my days are full.

I have started to make a difference however, and I really enjoy taking an overgrown and nasty area and making it nice. My goal is to create a beautiful and private area in the woods where I can relax and get away. I also will be building a treehouse in the future and have selected a wonderful and healthy oak tree for that endeavor. Unfortunately I can't started on that right away as there are too many necessary measures I have to take first.

And a reminder of why I want to move:

That's the cops at my neighbors house once again, this time searching one of their vehicles. One of these days I will detail some of the more memorable idiocies of the dumbasses next door, but once I move. ;)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Ha! Bad neighbors are everywhere. We are surrounded by them here. There were 5 cops at one of the places down the street about a month ago. It's known as the neighborhood drug house and routinely has a red light on the front of the house...

I'm pretty jealous of your farm adventures. ;)

ffj

Post by ffj »

@monkey

My tolerance is much lower than the average person as I spent an entire career in emergency services dealing with these types of people. After spending a 24 hour shift cleaning up the aftermath of people's horrible life decisions I always wanted to come home to a nice, clean, organized and sane household. When your typical medical run involved grossness on many levels (I could go into very detailed nastiness here), the last thing I wanted to see was the same shit right next to my door.

Next door:

All of them have arrest records, some are in jail right now

All of the women are mentally ill, with drugs playing a large role

Everybody uses drugs

They've burned their house down once already

It's a continually revolving door of people just like them that stay there, I get a new "tenant" every week or so staying there that I have no clue who they are or their background, but I know that if they are staying there, then they have problems.

They once had an alcoholic living in the barn on the property until he got arrested for evading the police after threatening to kill his girlfriend.

Word on the street is that they have used that same barn to make meth. Some of the kids were/are drug dealers.

One kid ( who's in prison now) who burned down the house ( which is one version of how it happened ) also set the neighbors field on fire. I got to put that fire out.

The local and State Police have been there multiple times for various offenses. Everything from arson, drugs obviously, one of them shooting themselves, domestic violence, and a suicide attempt ( not the shooting ).

Over the years they have kept various animals which they don't take care of or contain, which means I get to deal with farm animals getting into my yard and cats and dogs running around my place eating my pets food. Their damn horses got into my yard so often that I had the fix their fence to stop it and I've begun trapping the wild cats coming from his place. I don't blame these animals for their actions but having to listen to cats getting into our food and trash all night plus fighting with my cat is tiresome. Now they have gotten goats which escape all of the time and I'll have people knock on my door asking about 20 goats standing in the middle of the road. Not mine, I tell them.

When they are gone or in jail, it is very peaceful around here. Their place still looks like shit, but at least I don't have to see or hear them.

Anyway, I'm ready to check out. ;)

GandK

Post by GandK »

I don't blame you. :shock: What a nightmare.

Jason

Post by Jason »

ffj wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am

Word on the street is that they have used that same barn to make meth.

Now they have gotten goats which escape all of the time and I'll have people knock on my door asking about 20 goats standing in the middle of the road. Not mine, I tell them.
It's probably these guys.

https://methandgoats.bandcamp.com

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Katherine

Fortunately they stay on their side of the fence. And I am actively working towards a solution which makes me feel so much better.

@Jason

I actually like some of their music, haha. I've been binge watching drug addict youtube videos and my favorite one was addicted to meth. He's sober now but when he described in detail how incredible meth makes you feel I almost wonder how many people he convinced to try it rather than dissuade. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HtlAlmdxk

I felt like a kid today as I made a bridge. My leaping skills, especially with a chainsaw in my hand aren't what they used to be, so I took an old fire ladder ( which is much stronger than a conventional one ), put a board on it and presto, I have a bridge.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so no work then, but the woods are looking better everyday.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I like your bridge. I'm going to pass on the meth video though based on your description. Somehow, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

C40

Post by C40 »

Looks like a fun piece of land to manage. I've cleared just small areas of free-growing brush so I have an idea how much work it is (and mine had a special treat - a bunch of poison oak!). It's a good day's work when you can see your progress like that. It'd be fun to help. You know - for a day or two :-P

Jason

Post by Jason »

ffj wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 pm
I've been binge watching drug addict youtube videos
This is a great one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tar_Heroin_(film)

ffj

Post by ffj »

@SWB

I don't blame you as it's a bit depressing.

@C40

My daughter helped me for a whopping two hours the other day and said she was done, done, done. Ha. It's shit work for sure but the results are impressive.

@Jason

Thanks for the reference. I'm over my binge of this genre for now but I may go back. Been watching Jim Can't Swim videos lately. It's amazing how awful people can become.

I've been clearing land for over two months now almost every day. Last week I decided I would start doing other things before I became insane, haha. Like fixing my damn gate to the property, which would drag on the hump of the driveway making it a pain in the ass to open and close. I had to buy a shelf bracket but everything else I had on hand, including the wheel. Works like a charm now.

If you'll look at this picture, you can see I have a stream running through the property, a stream that has continuously run ever since our mini drought ended.

Indulge me and watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHY9DkD1Hw

This question is for anybody that has an answer, but it seems tailored to people like Sclass: Is this feasible? and what exactly does one have to do to an old alternator to get it to produce electricity? I think it would be cool to have one of these running at my place but I don't quite understand the alternator component. If anybody has an answer I would love to hear your thoughts.

My daughter recently tried to sell her prom dress on Facebook marketplace and she got the attention of these scam artists. She wasn't quite sure at first so she gave them an address with no ties to our household, but soon after told them to shove off. Even after, we received this letter by UPS:

I guess enough people still fall for this old trick. She was asking $150 for the dress and of course they "overpaid" in hopes of getting her personal information. I'm just curious if a bank would cash this check or would they know it was fake? It might be a fun exercise to take it to a bank and ask them to examine it and explain the telltale signs of a fake. Maybe they would want it for future trainings.

Recently stumbled upon this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8LGGf1WJs

Hmmm? Makes one wonder how much he really knows about this whole ERE thing.

Gilberto de Piento

I am far from an expert but I don't see why the alternator wouldn't work. As you can see from the video you need a water wheel with a driveshaft.

Then you need a way of transmitting the power from that shaft to the alternator at the right rpm. In the video he is using a belt driving a big pulley on the water wheel and a small one on the alternator. This increases the low rpm of the water wheel to the high rpm the alternator needs.

The alternator creates 12 volt dc which charges one or more batteries. I think you want deep cycle batteries not car batteries but you could test it out with old car batteries. Then you convert the 12 vdc to110 ac with your inverter.

One fun thing about this project is you could probably do it without buying anything.

One thing to consider is whether or not you have to be concerned with overcharging the batteries. It doesn't happen in a car but as a car is charging it is also drawing power. You may need some type of controller if you want to be able to deploy it and not have to watch it. Otherwise you'd bring the batteries up to full charge and then stop turning the alternator.

Side note: you can weld with an alternator. Could be useful in an apocalyptic scenario. :)

Gilberto de Piento

I'm still thinking about this. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, instead of turning an alternator, you could get a broken generator (gas engine part broken) and turn that instead. That would give you 110 ac without needing the inverter but would be less ideal for charging a battery bank (I think).

Another thing to think about is how close you can place your water wheel and alternator to the batteries. Ideally your inverter and battery bank would be stored inside where you need the power. If everything is too spread out, especially if you have a long run of 12v dc, it might not work. Someone better informed can speak to that.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

I've read a few electric motor books lately, so presuming that something did stick but with the caveat that I might be talking out of my ass, here goes...

First, a brushed DC motor will work as a generator if you spin the shaft. (This is how an oldschool telephone magneto works ... when you crank it to make a call or torture your victims :lol: ) It will definitely work with a permanent magnet motor (look for PMDC). I don't think it would work with a DC motor that uses field coils instead of magnets to generate the static field without going into some creative rewiring and needing some kind of starting circuit (with a battery) to bootstrap the electricity generation to create the magnetic field. Think about it... if the field coils aren't charged, you'll never get the electricity from rotating the armature coils in the first place. Field coils (there would be two extra wires, like A1 and A2 for the armature + F1 and F2 for the field coils) are typically used for larger motors because they're cheaper than big magnets.

I suspect a brushless motor might have the auto-start problem as well for similar reasons. There's nothing to power the switching circuit that replaced the brushes?!?

The difference between a PMDC and an alternator is that the PMDC will have a static magnetic field with a rotating wired armature on the center axis. The alternator will be the other way around with a rotating permanent magnet in the middle inducing current in a static armature.(*) Theoretically (electromagnetically) they're the same. You could also use an alternator as a motor. In practice, they're optimized for very different things though.

(*) Thus if you see windings in both places, you have something with field coils.

I don't think an alternator will be effective(?!) although that does appear to be what's being used in the video---I didn't watch in detail, just skimmed it. Alternators are made to generate high amp 12V to run headlights, etc. This means thick wires in the armature which means fewer windings which means you need very high rpm (in the thousands). The rpm (rate of field change) times the number of windings is what gives you the voltage. However, the water wheel is providing rather low rpm (in the hundreds?) => low voltage (much lower than 12V). Ideally you'd want thinner wires in the armature which allows room for more windings so you get a higher voltage. You won't be able to drive as much current through thin wires (lest the armature melt) but that's probably fine. If you do need more amps, you need a bigger generator ... and a bigger water wheel.

Also what comes out of the PMDC when used as a generator is more like rectified AC (because of the DC commutator), unless you're powering something "robust" like an incandescent light bulb, you'd want some kind of capacitor in parallel with the output to smooth it out ... and probably also a voltage regulator (ML78xx, where xx is either 05 or 12) after that to keep the voltage constant. (Literally just those two components.)

PS: Also look into Pelton wheels.