Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Post by Jason » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Wow. Those are some spell binding arguments you two put forth there. Christopher Hitchens would be proud.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Read again?

Edit: I see, it's me. I meant: considering Christianity is around for 2k years, it's track record of destroying humanity is truly disappointing/miserable/fail. Wrong choice of word changes meaning.

Jean

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Undomesticated humans are now very rare, so this destruction is quite successfull.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:24 pm

This sentence is not much different than: happy families are now very rare, so the destruction of humanity by atheism is quite successfull.

1) what's the definition of an undomesticated human?

2) how one quantifies how rare undomesticated humans are?

3) where's the link between Christianity and undomestication

Jean

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Atheism as we usually mean it is some form of degenerated christianity. To answer your questions.
1)an human that isn't dependant on civilisation and doesn't delegate the violence required for him to survive outside his extended family.
2)I haven't met any in all my life. I've only heard of some. In opposition, all of precolonial north america would have fited this definition (about 20Mpeople), most of prechristian Europe would have fited this definition (100M people), pre colonial africa as well.
3)without christianity (and other abrahamic ideologies, like islam or communism), civilisations like the romans or the mongols expect everyone to contribute to the violence, and violence is understood by everyone as a way to gain control over ressources. In christian civilisations, violence is still exerced to gain ressources, but people aren't able or expected to perform it themselves, it is justified by the religion, and all the ressources go to an elite. Christian religion have this effect because of their emphasis on the idea that we are all equal servants of an almighty overlord, and that he'll rewar us. This lead people to look for a master, and drift them away from their ecological role. In this regard, christianity is like a virus that would be turning humans into cancerous cells. Prechristian spiritualites are all about helping the counscious individuals that humans are to grasp of they insert themselves in a much longer and bigger system, by reminding them what their forebears did.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:32 am

Oddly, although I strongly disagree with many of the details of your philosophy, there is a core level (which I am sure Jason would identify as Pantheist) on which I think we would be in accord. The worst behaving humans are like domestic animals gone feral. That's why my avatar was a relatively benign wild animal (hedge-hog) smiling and wearing a mop-cap and an apron.

Nuuka

Post by Nuuka » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Do you have some profession or role in society as goal in your doctoral studies?

Jean

Post by Jean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I gave up my doctoral studies more than five years ago. Now i just want to have an rise children and play hike and camp.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:38 am

Am I understanding this correctly - are you saying Christianity introduced violence into the world? Violence is a human nature issue. Not a credal issue. I think history is replete with evidence of that.

Its not as though Christians aren't for the environment. Theodore Roosevelt was a Dutch Reformed Christian and he is responsible for the National park system in the US. His thinking was nature should be preserved for man's pleasure and enjoyment. What Christians mainly oppose is bio-environmentalism, where the environment or "nature" becomes elevated to a position that its protection rivals, if not eclipses, human life and its purpose. Implicit in bio-environmentalism is that it possesses divine/transcendent qualities and attributes either in and of itself or in conjunction with man. This is something Teddy Roosevelt did not believe. He just wanted to preserve man's God given right to urinate in the most majestic corners of the created order.

Jean

Post by Jean » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Violences predates mankind. Your post doesn't describes what i think.