Five Years, Lord Willing

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: Five Years, Lord Willing

Post by Jason » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am

We have a few of those Airport types, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile. I think effort has to be factored into the equation. I think we are Amazon worthy.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson » Tue May 15, 2018 3:59 pm

BTW just kidding about burning books or any paper. In the universe of recycling, paper products and aluminum are the most valuable because of the resources needed to produce them and the high yield of recycling them.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue May 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Don't airport reads have that return offer now if you actually buy them in an airport? IIRC it's only a 50% credit, but at least the book gets recirculated.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I heard about a read and return policy. I also read about TSA looking at your books, so you might want to consider finishing up "Shoebombing For Dummies" in the privacy of your own home.

I could never burn a book, although I am always tempted when I look at my copy of Fahrenheit 451.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 am

This article has been making the rounds:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/pf/emer ... index.html

It's very reminiscent of this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... me/476415/

When I saw the "Americans don't have $400" it brought me back to the Neil Gabler article and I realized my being here (in some sense of "here") is inextricably tied to that media moment. That was my wake up call. I had $400. But I didn't have as much $400 as I should have had. What I consider our emergency fund, now has two years of mortgage payments. Also, our net worth has increased close to $250K.

I didn't start a separate thread on this because its just anecdotal bullshit but it provides a reminder to be humble. Not only do I remember what it was like not to have $400 but what it was like not to know that I should be worried about not having $400. The irony is I'm probably staring at $400 of half read books on my floor which makes me like the LeBron James of fuck-ups.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 am

When I read stuff like this my first reaction is instinctively “this shit can’t be true”.
I had $400 saved when I was, like, 15.

But then I think about that time with my neighbor.

When DW and I were living in Murray Hill* we had this neighbor that worked for one of the big ass banks downtown.
He was around 27-28 years old (edit: probably more like 24-25 now that I think of it)
He partied a lot, was always out, had multiple (as in: two per week) girlfriends.
On sundays, when I went downstairs to smoke a cigarette with my morning coffee (I was still smoking a bit at the time) I would often see him come back home.

My other neighbor who is now a VP for a bigger ass finance firm estimated at the time that this guy made somewhere around $100-140k plus potentially fat bonuses.

So one Sunday I was very surprised to see this guy in a white T-shirt and shorts taking out the trash at 8.30 in the morning.

I jokingly asked him: “did you default to only ONE girlfriend now? How come you didn’t go out?”
And the guy responds: “oh, I’m broke”
I start laughing and ask “no seriously”
Him: “yeah you know I dropped some coke** on the carpet and I had to bring it to the cleaner. That was a $700 expense I hadn’t planned so I didn’t have the money to go out yesterday”

My jaw dropped

*midtown east neighborhood in NYC mostly populated by rich young Jewish kids that party a lot. We moved after 2 years.

** I did not dare ask if what type of coke he was referring to.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat May 26, 2018 9:50 am

Living in the suburbs of Manhattan and being in real estate, I do know that residential developers do not even consider building condos because of the fact that although many people make money few have money.

The veracity of the article? I do not know. It is always shocking but based on sample size, who can say. The Neil Gabler article touched a nerve. Based on general savings rates and debt service, it does seem to make sense.

** It was the carbonated kind as it was the other he would have spent all hours on the floor with a rolled up twenty crumb hunting.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

(1) Health - We invested $275 in a Pilates machine. Based on our age, physical condition/issues, physical aspirations, comfort level, it seemed like the best investment. Initial response confirms, as already eclipses return of stupid rice maker.

(2) Wealth - Coin is at $425K. House approx $85. A couple of bad performing stocks I held onto seem to be recovering. OKTA which is new has given approx. 50%. NIKE, ATVI leading charge.

(3) Marie Kondo - We kind of went off message and did some clothing removal before paper/books were completed because we desperately needed closet space. Five bags going to salvation army. So now I got Marie Kondo joining the "you suck" choir singing in my head. It's like "We Are The World" but no one is famous and they are completely out of tune. But damn they love to sing.

(4) Mental Health - Therapy is productive. Crippling anxiety is still an issue. But hey, it will be over soon enough!!!

(5) Travel - We are planning a trip to Italy for next fall. I have never been to Europe. I know the Pope is going to want to meet with me, so I'm trying to get in tippy top Pontiff meeting shape.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am

If you have a cacophonic choir in your head, singing 'you suck'; how do you reckon you'll manage being FI once the background noise dies down and all your can hear is your own sulphurous -lentil tinted- farts and 'that choir'?

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am

With a good rhythm section I can get up and dance.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 am

I recently found out my primary MD was sentenced to 18 months in prison due to his involvement in a lab testing scam. Also had to pay $100k restitution and I'm assuming has seen his last patient. I liked him. But what can you do.

His financial benefit in the scam was surprisingly low - like 40K. But he got Fedded. It always amazes me how little money is often involved in these cases. A mayor of fairly large city lost his salary, his benefits, and his freedom when an old lady filmed him using government employees to add an extra coat of paint to his modest house. I get asked to take under the table money all the time but refuse not only because I will lose my credentials but because how little money I am being offered to lose my credentials. I don't think I would take a large sum because then I know I'll be caught. I mean I could be being videotaped for $500. Anyways, moral of the story, don't spend all that time and money becoming a doctor and lose it all because some douchebag offers you a five figure kickback to use his clinic.