I still have a dumb phone...considering a smart phone!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
FruGal61

I still have a dumb phone...considering a smart phone!

Post by FruGal61 »

My trusty ancient flip phone McGyver'ed together with duct tape is on it's last legs. It might be time for me to join the rest of the world and get a "smart" phone. It sure would make some of my friends and family happy, some who seem aghast that I don't have one.

I use Verizon for cell, DSL and a landline. I like the landline as I work from home and I don't want business calls coming to my cell; also, I need a landline/dial tone to get DSL.

My other technology is Apple-based so it seems I would go with an iPhone. Naturally the one I want, the SE (smaller and cheaper), is considered almost obsolete. Rumors are a new one may come out in November, or maybe 2019.

Right now my dumb flip phone cell, internet and landline cost ~$123.00 a month: Landline: $29.99. Internet/DSL: $35.00. Cell (no data): $35.00 for 700 minutes and unlimited texting. $23 for stupid taxes and fees.

Interestingly, when I called Verizon customer service the other day to inquire about options, a very nice rep tried to talk me out of getting a smart phone with data. She was amazed that my cell only cost $35 dollars a month and said it could quadruple if I got a data plan. I told her I have done fine without a smart phone, e.g. since everyone else has one, why do I need one? The only thing I really miss having is GPS. It was one of the more memorable and pleasant conversations I have had with a Verizon person who was encouraging me to save money and not to acquiesce to peer and societal pressures! So much to the point that when Verizon called me 2 minutes later to listen to an annoying survey, I took the survey and gave the rep a glowing review.

I am told that if I use Wifi with a cell/data, this will use less data so should try to use Wifi whenever possible. I can do this! I am also told that 32gb on a smart phone is "not enough" and I will quickly use that up. The iPhone SE is available in 128 gb also. I do not "game", I am not addicted to "apps", I just want it for email, phone calls, texting, GPS and internet. Yes, I will probably end up downloading some apps, e.g. for travel, banking, etc.

I live in a large East Coast city. Any suggestions on a reasonable, easy, not too much of a hassle plan? Has anyone used Boost Mobile or MetroPCS?

Or, I may just get my same flip phone on Ebay for $20, get it activated and continue on living my dumb life.

Hobbes

Re: I still have a dumb phone...considering a smart phone!

Post by Hobbes »

You could try Ting (rates: https://ting.com/rates). It's a pay-as-you go plan, and if you plan to mostly use wifi for data, it could save you a substantial amount of money. Their sites claims a typical bill is around 23 dollars a month.

Another option is Google's Project Fi (assuming you're okay with a pricey Google Android phone). The data on their plan is somewhat costly (1 GB for $10, with a cap at $60), but if you plan on using wifi for the majority of your data desires, their cost for unlimited calls and texts is a pretty reasonable $20/month. Fi's rates are here: https://fi.google.com/about/plan/

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Thanks much Hobbes, I have heard about Ting. I will look into it.

Another option, Verizon offers a "Small Plan'" - I think 2 or 3 gb a month. I would certainly be using data but if I was in a coffee shop or at home where I could use wifi, I would switch over to that.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

When I logged into my Verizon account this morning, there was an ad touting the SE for $10/mo, so apparently, if you want one, it's not COMPLETELY NLA.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I've still got a dumb phone. If you upgrade I'll be one step closer to my ultimate goal of being the last dumb phone user on the planet.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I'd still have a dumb phone but my spouse upgraded me for my birthday to a smart phone. #ereproblems ?

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

IlliniDave wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm
I've still got a dumb phone. If you upgrade I'll be one step closer to my ultimate goal of being the last dumb phone user on the planet.
Don't worry too much yet. I am eyeing a replacement for my dumb phone on ebay....it texts, it calls, and it fits into the palm of my hand. What's not to like? No, it does not talk to me or give directions. :D

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I like Republic a lot. Lots of phones, pay for the data you use, automatically uses WiFi when available.

Regarding the gb of storage, I have found that if you buy a low end phone with a small amount it works well at first but as the programs, particularly the OS, get bigger with updates you run out of space. My 8gb is still working but I can't store much on it and I am always shuffling apps on and off it as I need them rather than leaving them installed. Getting a phone with an SD card slot would mitigate this.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hi, FruGal,

I'm appalled at the amount of money that Verizon dares to charge for using a simple flip phone! If I had an old flip phone, I could pay < 10 euros per month (including tax) for unlimited calls within Europe.

I wanted to tell you that using only 1 GB of data or less is pretty easy. I do use whatsapp a lot and I also download images within whatsapp - and I do this without regard to whether I'm connected to wifi or using my mobile data package. To reduce your data use even more, within whatsapp you can tell it to only download pictures/videos when you're connected to wifi - when you're not within wifi range it will then still download text messages and still tell you that an image or video was sent - so you won't be unreachable if you use this setting. I also use my phone sometimes to guide me to an address and to quickly look up some information on the internet when I'm out and about.

I don't: stream movies, stream audio/songs, browse the internet on my phone extensively when I'm bored, play free games with lots of commercials in them, etc. If you did that, data usage would of course go up a lot.

So if you buy a smartphone, I would feel comfortable starting with a 1 GB or less data package. You can always upsize if you need to. All smartphones come with the option to track your data use and to warn you when you're close to a limit that you yourself feed in. So I have mine giving me warnings at 900, 950 and 1000 kB and most months I don't get there. If I reach the 900 kB limit, I know I have to be more careful for the rest of the month.

mferson

Post by mferson »

I have the Samsung J7. It's not the best phone of course but fast enough and responsive.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

DutchGirl wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 am
Hi, FruGal,

I'm appalled at the amount of money that Verizon dares to charge for using a simple flip phone! If I had an old flip phone, I could pay < 10 euros per month (including tax) for unlimited calls within Europe.
Thanks DutchGirl. Yep, life and utilities can be expensive here in "the land of the free". Don't get me started about the cost of healthcare. And for $35.00 I only get 700 minutes on my ancient, beloved but falling apart flip phone. Verizon is nice enough to send me a text and email when I've exceeded 50% of those allotted minutes.

I can downgrade my landline capability to save between $12-14.00 a month but then I have to be careful to not make long distance calls on my landline.

Thanks also for the info on the GB data per month. I think I may opt for 2 gb, if I indeed do this "smart" thing, but hey, maybe 1GB would suffice.

Pre-paid versus post-paid is where I get confused. Not sure if they do that in Europe.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

George the original one wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm
When I logged into my Verizon account this morning, there was an ad touting the SE for $10/mo, so apparently, if you want one, it's not COMPLETELY NLA.
Oh, yes the iPhone SE is definitely available. When I was in the Apple store the other day, the salesperson told me the A9 processor in the SE is considered old/almost obsolete and in two years may not work for many apps, etc. At many of the carriers, you can get either 32 GB or 128 GB on the SE.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I traded in my flip phone a couple of years ago and the employees passed it around the store like it was the missing link.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Jason wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm
I traded in my flip phone a couple of years ago and the employees passed it around the store like it was the missing link.
Yes, it is verrrry interesting to be a flip phone user. The herd mentality is forever bleeting: "Why aren't you like us? We want you to be like us goddammit, or else we will mock you! Get with it!". With age I have become less consumed with what other people think but I tend to be surreptitious with my use of said phone to avoid funny looks and probing questions. I rehearsed several comeback replies to the mob's queries: "Gee whiz, just 10 years ago no one had a smart phone!" "I like being non-trackable, thank you very much!". "If I have a question, I just consult my Encyclopedia Britannica!".

Seriously, other than the lack of GPS and this reported need to be able to ask Siri anything at all hours, I have done quite fine without one.

I do see a "smart" phone in my future, however. I might just get a replacement flip to get me through the summer, however! :o

C40

Post by C40 »

FruGal61 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:00 pm
Oh, yes the iPhone SE is definitely available. When I was in the Apple store the other day, the salesperson told me the A9 processor in the SE is considered old/almost obsolete and in two years may not work for many apps, etc. At many of the carriers, you can get either 32 GB or 128 GB on the SE.
I bought an iPhone SE a few months ago. So far it works great. I really like the smaller size most of the time. I don't doubt that it will have problems with some apps in about two years.

I find obsolescence much more annoying in Android phones though. The emojis are tied to the operating system and cannot be updated. And most Android phones can only run the OS they come with. No updating to the more recent versions. Imagine communicating with a bunch of women you date over text a lot, them using a lot of emojis (which often clarify whether they are joking and laughing, or flirting, or mad/offended/annoyed), and them just showing up as only a square for me. It made courting even more of a puzzle.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Thanks, C40....I want the smaller size (SE) if I get an iPhone. I'm used to a small phone. I've used the bigger iPhones and they seem heavy and bulky.

And yes, I have seen the square emoji! I have a 2013 Mac Air and when I text using Messages with my boyfriend (who has the latest iPhone), I often see squares. I can imagine that would make texting while dating/courting challenging. :roll:

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

IlliniDave wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm
last dumb phone user in North America maybe. I know 'someone' in Europe who rather adamant about not getting a smart phone. All smart phones ever seem to do is make the users dumb instead. :twisted:

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

The main reason I have a smartphone is for free international communication(whatsapp etc) for communicating with family and I tend to use it as my primary device for emailing and web browsing rather than a computer or tablet.

You definitely don't need something top of the line though nor do you need to upgrade every 1-2 years.

I tend to buy a 1 year old model and keep it for at least 3 years, doing this means I get software updates for pretty much the entire lifetime, but don't have to spend too much.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

prognastat wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am
I tend to buy a 1 year old model and keep it for at least 3 years, doing this means I get software updates for pretty much the entire lifetime, but don't have to spend too much.
3 yr lifespan? No wonder I have a dumb phone!