Tiny home festival!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
steelerfan

Tiny home festival!

Post by steelerfan »

My family went to the Tiny Home festival in Brighton Colorado yesterday. It was fascinating and we got to see both builder demos as well as people just opening up their personal homes. To any homeowner that frequents this site, Thank you.

For us to actually do this it would honestly take a massive attitude adjustment and the kids would need to be on their own. There would be no space for them to even crash other than a short term emergency. My house is about 12x the space of a typical tiny home. Really the target market for such a structure has to be limited to solo dwellers or "really" compatible couples. On top of that minimalism has to be perfected to a science. I know Jacob and others have the ability to store all possessions in a suitcase but to be true to myself, I don't see that for me. If you were just starting out and had land zoning ironed out it may be cool. Not sure about the resale of these things though. I feel my marriage would be on the rocks with that little space and my wife would probably agree!

I do not think tiny homes are a permanent solution for people with families. I met a home owner that had two small kids. I do not see it being viable once the kids get a little bigger. Honestly I didn't get the impression he was still all-in on the concept - which surprised me.

Price wise, they are in my mind shockingly expensive. Some of them topped 100K. Add in the land and transport, you might as well buy a house in a small town and not have to hassle with zoning. I would imagine some people would look at them as a second home initially and would buy a lot in the country. I would worry about putting something like that in the mountains and having it either deteriorate or broken into if I wasn't alway there. It would become an anchor. I would consider buying a yurt kit if I was going to be some place semi permanent, but even then I would worry. I wouldn't want to clear a squatter out with a gun (just kidding I think). In that case my new dwelling would be a tiny cell.

George the original one

Re: Tiny home festival!

Post by George the original one »

ffj wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:28 am
If you are just going to haul it to its final resting place, what's the point of building it on a trailer?
To get around zoning and/or building codes. Many communities restrict the minimum square footage in zoning to 600, 800, or 1000 sq ft per lot, but it's okay to park a trailer (usually behind an existing house, so the tiny home builder often just rents a space cheaply). In rural areas, there are unbuildable lots where it's possible to park a trailer.