Incompatibility between drinking and ERE

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Farm_or

Re: Incompatibility between drinking and ERE

Post by Farm_or »

It's pretty easy to consider budgeting the tangibles, but what about intangibles? Most notably - your personal health?

Many people are unaffected. Some are positively affected. But the overwhelming majority of effects are grossly negative, or have that potential.

The worst part is that every drunk is oblivious. They too are akin to those chained to the floor in Plato's cave.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If you have to get drunk to drink, the benefits of abstaining are much higher. If that was my only option, I would not drink. Being drunk can be fun in the moment, but I find both the near and long term costs too high.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

I was reading about alcohol consumption a little while ago bc there were some sensationalist stories about moms who wine, mommyjuice, etc. Amusing, but not really an epidemic I don't think. I do think women are drinking more than they ever have before and it's not a good development given their lower tolerance for it.

Anyway what counts as moderate (daily) drinking for men and women is probably pretty risky. The first stage of alcoholism, sometimes called the adaptive stage, can last a decade. All this time you are at risk of moving into dependence and commencing a journey to hell. The examples given by others above of non-daily drinking are the best way to go about regulating intake.

Channeling Ego (late of this forum), I would also say drinking can inhibit the development of more robust strategies for stress management, social networking, etc. Web of goals...

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

The costs are interesting here. I found growing green to cost under $200/yr, mostly for clones, fertilizer, and good soil. The real kicker is the hours of harvesting.