Savings with subscription services?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
JBmoney

Savings with subscription services?

Post by JBmoney »

Anyone using subscription services to cut costs on everyday items?

Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm not much of a victorias secret girl...I just like comfy undies. So, I've been considering meundies since they're pretty much showing up everywhere these days: https://www.thriftycrates.com/meundies-box-review/

I've tried Birchbox in the past and it's just been full of samples with a strong upsell to get the full sized version. I'm really looking for other boxes like meundies that give you a full sized product monthly. I hate going to the store.

I'm also looking into "Plated" for complete meals, Scentbird for fragrances, and Yogi surprise for my yoga gear (I'm a yoga instructor).

My idea here is that I can just grab subscription services for products I use regularly, but am not stuck on a particular brand. It'll save me trips to the store and I can also try a variety of options before settling in on the one I like.

Anyone else doing this or have suggestions for other boxes?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Savings with subscription services?

Post by jacob »

There's a million different subscription box services out there. The biggest problem I have with them is that in order to get the biggest savings, one has to order the biggest option and then stuff [by my theoretical calculations] gets mailed to me way faster than I can use/consume them.

Seems the business model of subscription services is to lower the price but make up for it in quantity.

One trick I have found is that some people who do buy the boxes will often try to flip the stuff they don't want on ebay at a discount.

If it's about saving store trips, consider online shopping.

https://www.boxed.com/ - is the amazon of costco (household stuff)
https://grocery.walmart.com/ is rolling out delivery

And of course there's evil amazon prime. The annual fee is cheaper than a car anyway.

Another way is to buy bulk and have a stock at home. We have ~80 cans of tomatoes on the shelf currently for example. I also have a bag of unused socks worth one year's of use sitting somewhere. Also 3 unused t-shirts and an unused pair of pants in reserve. The strategy here to go to a store and buy one to find out if you like something. If you do, come back soon and buy everyone else they have (14 pairs of underwear, extra pair of pants, etc.) and put them aside until needed later. Then repeat when your stock runs out.

JBmoney

Re: Savings with subscription services?

Post by JBmoney »

Oh man. You've got my gears turning @jacob!

Never even thought of reselling the individual products from the boxes on eBay. That'll be a fun little weekend project I can do.

I have been using Prime Fresh, too. Going to check out Boxed and Walmart now to see if I can find any additional savings.

Thanks so much! This was actually a huge help.