Firearm Recommendations

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Mister Imperceptible

Re: Firearm Recommendations

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I have thought about Italian citizenship as well, thru right of blood also, my blood brother.

I really don’t think going to Italy is a great option if the US falls apart, because at that point, all bets are off and nowhere is safe. Sounds like an option if you are being persecuted individually, however.

Who is “the government?” As I said, loyalties would be split. I doubt we could agree on who the Caesar would be. Multiple sides would lay claim to being “the government.” For every Marc Antony, also, an “Augustus.” ;)

Mister Imperceptible

I really don’t think that straight white male Mister Imperceptible is in any kind of danger in the near future here in America. I’m talking about a general collapse of the system. Do you have a gun to safeguard the zucchinis growing in your garden, when the shelves at the store go empty?

That book does look interesting though.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Augustus wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm
How did we devolve into the paranoid gun nut revolution fantasy?
Invariably any discussion involving guns and/or the 2nd amendment will devolve into these rhetorical arguments regarding the effectiveness of small arms versus the government. All outcomes are plausible including the government is too powerful to fight or the country will fracture into a catastrophic civil war. I believe in the right to self defense but I'm a defender of the Constitution. If the right to bear arms was curtailed via a Constitutional amendment I would respect that decision. I would vehemently oppose, legally, any extra-constitutional abrogation of rights.

We are light years away from a civil war. It's the media feeding the hysteria that the US is fracturing into extreme partisanship in order to gain advertisement dollars via increased viewership. Most of America, and I would include myself among them, is politically down the middle. This is the silent majority that swings politics back to center when things get out of hand. No one wants a civil war nor is anyone close to launching a civil war.

Back to the original topic. Any gun and any bullet is better than no gun and no bullets in a fubar situation. There is no foretelling what scenario a rolling of the dice will bring and how it may or may not affect your choice of firearm or magazine capacity. I would assume we are all rational people and let facts guide our decisions. From what I've read myself and what's been posted in this topic regarding FBI gunshot statistics, the overwhelming evidence goes to having increased magazine capacity during a small arms private citizen exchange of fire.

I personally don't own a gun but I've shot many guns. My own experience during recreational shooting has been "I wish the gun/magazine/drum could hold more bullets".

But before having to brandish a gun in home defense or spending money to acquire a gun, I"d rather purchase secure doors, windows, iron bars (installed per firecode), and a loud alarm and strobe lights to deter intruders. At least long enough for 911 to arrive. I have friends who are in law enforcement and they all tell me that once you shoot a person justified or not, you're bank account, privacy, time, and reputation will take a hit.

I understand that my situation is different than others. I live in the Northeast in a densely populated city with a police station and fire department within half a mile. Both respond within minutes. The response time in my neighborhood is typically 2 to 3 minutes. I don't live in rural America where response times can be 1 hour or more. Gun ownership is a personal decision and only the owner can determine what type of armed defense is adequate to address his or her situation. Guns are like tools, different guns are best used for specific situations. I wouldn't use an impact hammer to hang a picture frame nor would I used a framing hammer to drive plate nails into reinforced concrete. I imagine 1 guy trying to kick down my steel door would warrant a 911 call and a 9mm S&W at the ready in case the alarm and threat of 911 doesn't drive him off. But I would want to have a AR15 with max magazine capacity if I encountered this: https://youtu.be/Uw-0nfVC2Rk?t=9.

Mister Imperceptible

@Campitor

Thanks for bringing us back. I did check out your links on Page 1, and all of the links on this thread. Despite my armchair crackpot hypotheses, I am thinking about this rationally and with a view to safeguarding myself against a home defense situation I hope never arises.