The viability of pet sitting?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
EdithKeeler

Re: The viability of pet sitting?

Post by EdithKeeler »

I thought of this thread today. I think having a pickup truck provides a lot of opportunities for earning some money. They are remodeling the suite above my office and they demo’d, well, everything. In the big dumpster was about 200 aluminum light fixtures—for fluorescent lights. I noticed the full dumpster this morning, and this afternoon when I came out 2 guys were carefully securing the “trash” in 2 trucks and a trailer (there was other stuff as well). I’m guessing by how careful they were being they plan to resell, but reselling or recycling, there’s $$ to be made dumpster diving, especially if you have a truck. You could also haul stuff for people (like me) who need bulky items from Home Depot but don’t want to rent a truck, or hauling people’s furniture finds from estate sales and antique shops.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@EK - That model is so organized around here (Chicago) that you actually need a business license to do it. Put something out in the back alley and come Saturday, some private truck is almost surely going to drive the alley and pick up anything valuable as scrap metal or for resale at a flea market somewhere. I've seen "pickers" get checked by police just to make sure they have their papers in order.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@EdithKeeler:

Very true. More generalized rule of thumb is that any tool or set of tools plus a market represents a business, or in the case of generalized tools such as a computer and/or a pick-up truck, many possible businesses. Since most people have very little savings and already work full-time jobs, there are often pretty low barriers to entry just waiting for an opportunist.

Looking at a list of licenses required/offered by state or city is another good way to brain-storm self-employment options. Some licenses are very easy to obtain. Others are very difficult. And the whys and wherefores often make little sense.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

More generalized rule of thumb is that any tool or set of tools plus a market represents a business, or in the case of generalized tools such as a computer and/or a pick-up truck, many possible businesses.
Good point! And there are a lot of good ways these days to get the word out (Facebook, Craigslist, etc) without having to spend $$ on advertising. I was just putting my sewing machine away--I never thought of it as a way to make some cash (well, if I had time and inclination... and ability!!). I think I'd buy one of those embroidery machines (probably could get used at a sewing machine repair place, etc.) and start advertising monogramming services, etc.

Or just have a skill, like this guy:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bro ... -1.3673138

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@EdithKeeler:

Right. Unfortunately, I think there is a bit of a conflict between die-hard frugality and the entrepreneurial spirit, because you can only have one foot in each of these spheres successfully if you simultaneously maximize your "wanting to want" while minimizing your "needing to need." I can't summon up his name, but one very successful entrepreneur described getting his start by selling firecrackers to his playmates. He really wanted some firecrackers himself, so he figured out how to get some, and then it was a natural next step to sell some to others at a profit. If what you are marketing doesn't excite you too, you might make some money, but you won't be successful.