Work, is it so bad?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
classical_Liberal

Re: Work, is it so bad?

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

unemployable wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 pm
I feel like the 1970s energy crises would have been the perfect time to go to a 4-day week on a larger scale.
The UK did go to a three day week: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Day_Week

NPV

Post by NPV »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:38 am

not sure what brute's big conclusion is here. maybe that FI can be more about FU than about RE?
I would definitely support this conclusion, defining FU as "optionality". RE is only one among many such options, e.g. change jobs, work on your own projects, go to Tibet to meditate for a year...

You also mentioned spending time with family as a potential big pastime. I have recently come back from ~3 week vacation to my home country basically doing mostly that every - hanging out with family members and old friends. There is less emphasis on this in Western world. I certainly enjoyed and did not get bored for a moment. 3 weeks is not a long stretch though, and that was holidays, so at normal time not all the same people would have time to hang out with me all day.