Cooking for the week

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
conwy

Cooking for the week

Post by conwy »

I've recently started preparing meals that last a week, to save time/money. I bought two large plastic containers and started cooking food items that last well for about 5-7 days, storing them in the fridge.

At the moment these items are:

• Soybeans (or any kind of beans). Buy them dry, soak overnight, cook for 2.5 hours after I get home, then chuck them all in a container.
• Porridge. Buy dry, then cook half a bag (takes about 10-15 min), then chuck in a container.

The food works out pretty cheap! The beans cost me about $2 AUD per week and the oats about $0.50 AUD, so it works out to about $0.36 per day to over most of my carb needs (and a good deal of protein to boot – soybeans are an excellent source!)

I do all the cooking on a Sunday night.

So far, it's been great to be able to get up in the morning or come home from work and have food ready to eat without any prep time. I make the beans taste nicer by adding flavours/spices.

Of course, not everything keeps well for more than one day. So 2-3 times a week I'll quickly steam up some veggies. And I frozen fruit is also a healthy snack that takes practically no prep - just throw some pieces in a bowl along with a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt and maybe top with cinnamon or cocoa powder.

Keen to hear if anyone else is cooking for the week, and if you have any tips on making it easier, faster and more enjoyable.
Last edited by conwy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Cooking for the week

Post by jacob »

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Or skip cooking altogether? I got a Ninja blender for father's day, and I've been making lots of green smoothies. Leafy greens are absurdly high in non-calorie nutrients. Mix with fresh fruit and they're much more palatable. I use milk for the protein, but you can use cooked oats if you prefer.

conwy

Post by conwy »

Nice article Jacob! Cheers for linking.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

What is effective way to cure bad breath after eating onion or garlic on a budget? (*)
I assume social norms are meant to be obeyed.
I heard that milk was quite effective, but on this level this is cheating :mrgreen: (as in exaple of cofee).
Do you grow parsley and then dry it?
Honey and apples could be pretty in proper monetary class

(*) Onion tend to be all season (especially in winter when everything is $$$) cheapest vegetable in my area (on par with carrot and beetroot).