Buying cheap then freezing

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
conwy

Buying cheap then freezing

Post by conwy »

Hey all!

Just wanted to share a recent killer saving I made, by buying cheap food then freezing it.

So I happened to be hanging around at a large supermarket very close to closing time (10 PM) on a Monday night and saw a whole bunch of items heavily discounted. Ended up grabbing several big bunches of bananas (at 20p per bunch) and a couple of bags of sweet potatoes (at ~10 per bag). Got them home and stuck them in the freezer.

From what I know, starches, cooked beans/grains and proteins are good for freezing and lose very little nutritional value.

So I've eating one or two of the bananas every night for desert (frozen, chopped up, makes a delicious and healthy alternative to a scoop of ice-cream). That costs me about 5¢. And I grill or bake one a sweet potato now and then, topping with quark cheese (healthier than sour-cream) and herbs. Again, 5¢ (excluding the quark of course). Delish!

So I've decided that when the freezer starts to run a bit low, I'll go back to the supermarket at a late hour and see if I can pick up some more discounted food items. Seems like this could be a good strategy to lower food costs.

Keen to hear anyone else's thoughts.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Buying cheap then freezing

Post by jacob »

As long as there's reliable electricity, having a freezer ranks higher than a fridge (which is just an indication of lazy shopping and lazy cooking habits and not being local in space or time) ... but if electricity ever goes out, you'll suffer a loss of stored calories in 72 hrs or so if you're the freezer kind of person. So if you lean more towards robustness, focus on cans and canning.

For maximum ERE in 2017: carry a big freezer and a small or no fridge. As long as electricity remains on, a freezer is very good ROI. Freezers favor the few who plan ahead!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I've figured out the best time to hit the markdowns at my local grocery. I usually spread the risk around by putting half of what I buy in my mom's freezer--chance we both lose power at the same time is minimal, plus I often cook for her.

I've found using frozen bananas is easier if you peel them first.

If you keep finding those deals, you might want to consider investing in a food dehydrator. Another way of preserving not reliant on ongoing electricity.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Majority of what we freeze is meat, bread, and blueberries. In event of extended power failure, I figure I'll be firing up the BBQ and/or woodstove to cook a bunch of meat. Rare for our power to go out during warm weather, so the cooked meat could be stored in the garage for a week or so while waiting for power to be restored.

It's either that or purchase generator costing kilobuck(s) to protect substantially smaller investment in meat. On the other hand, a generator to power the well pump which could easily take care of lights & freezer & fridge on the side would be a lifestyle improvement...

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

I use the freezer for

-storing spoilable ingredients like fish, and when I buy more meat than I will cook that week.

-storing the results of bulk cooking sessions. Usually: fish pie, apple pie, lasagne.

My wife doesn't really cook. I could hide a body safely in the freezer for years without her seeing it.

I like the bananas idea. Also the swooping on supermarket bargains ... but all this thinking about food is counterproductive, I'm on a diet. Darn.