Indications that you waited too long to retire

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Riggerjack

Re: Indications that you waited too long to retire

Post by Riggerjack »

Well, I think of wild and tame as getting used to being fed, or being used to those regular pay checks. When I try to talk about FI to the tame, they don't understand how you live without a periodic influx of cash.

So while the animal's posts are inspirational, his vacations long, and his frugality impressive, I don't think of him as particularly wild.

Ego' something from nothing, and 7w5's whole life, seem wild. Feeding themselves not from savings, or from paychecks, but living by wits. Interacting with their environment and gleaning opportunities as they present themselves.

I have built houses for other people, and built a house for myself. Building for someone else is just moving modifying, and assembling a pile of pieces provided by someone else to make something that matches someone else's plan. It takes about 40 hours per week. Building my own house, and hiring folks to help, takes 24 hours a day. The plan is yours, the modification of the plan is yours, the logistics of getting the right materials in the right place at the right time, is yours. The money, and the overages are yours, the personnel problems are yours. The task, building a house is the same, but one role is considerably more wild than the while niether is actually wild. If you were to take those 2 tasks to make a scale, building your own house is a 7, someone else's, 3, working in accounts payable a 1, and Ego and or 7w5 would be a 10.
To me, wild is a combination of Independence and self reliance. FI only gains us Independence.

Noedig

Re: Indications that you waited too long to retire

Post by Noedig »

Ego wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 pm
GandK wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 am
Ego wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 pm
I can't seem to figure out what caused him to lose the spark.
A friend of ours behaved this way recently. Turns out she had cancer, and the lack of interest/energy was an early warning sign. Maybe encourage him to get a physical just to rule something like that out?
My wife was diagnosed with cancer. For a year previous, she was horribly fatigued and depressed, to the point where she was off work for it. In her cancer support group, that's a common story: individually it's just anecdote, but I think there's something to it.