Get Paid To Live In Italy

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Jean

Re: Get Paid To Live In Italy

Post by Jean »

I know you're joking, but I live on about 500.- a month.

Investing 200'000 to buy a house in Albinen, and then renting out a part of it would be a viable plan.

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/i ... gn=article

This Italian region will pay you €700 a month to move there.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Yes but you'd be living in Molise

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Is Molise that bad?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

It's a lovely place like most of italy, but let's say if you're used to a vibrant lifestyle you probably won't find it there.
Italians often joke about Molise because of its irrelevance
Many "molise doesn't exist" kinda stuff, similar (I would guess) to how most americans have probably seen more images of the moon than of Nebraska.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sicily will pay for half your flight and cover some of your hotel costs after lockdown

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/s ... y-vouchers

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Ego wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Sicily will pay for half your flight and cover some of your hotel costs after lockdown

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/s ... y-vouchers
I too read this one and might have been tempted to explore further if I hadn't spent a couple of weeks in Palermo fairly recently.

Hopefully it isn't on the lines of 'the Sicilians making an offer you can't refuse' 😁

Palermo in some ways reminded me of being in India (the good and the bad). I do wonder though if the mafia won't make a comeback during the Coronavirus time...it has quite a different feel and attitude than the Rome, Venice/Treviso area (only parts of Italy I have seen).

chenda

Post by chenda »

Freedom_2018 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:29 pm
I do wonder though if the mafia won't make a comeback during the Coronavirus time...it has quite a different feel and attitude than the Rome, Venice/Treviso area (only parts of Italy I have seen).
Let's hope its killed a lot of them off.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Mafia cannot “come back” in Sicily as it never left.
What you see and feel in the streets of Palermo is not the mafia, which is invisible in the tourist areas, but may be some small criminals.

Palermo would be a fantastic place to ERE, assuming one doesn’t need medical care.
For a young, healthy person I can think of few places that are better

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Seppia
Just from online pictures and AirBnb pictures, Palermo looks quite nice for several weeks/months/years. What is the state of medical care there?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Frita wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:38 am
Palermo looks quite nice for several weeks/months/years.
Palermo is a beautiful city, a mix of roman, arab and greek influence.
Sicily in general has some of the most underrated places in italy (did you know that Siracusa is older than Rome?), the food is fantastic (fish, veggies, fruits) and cost of living is ridiculously low ($1800/mo is considered a very good salary there).
Frita wrote:
What is the state of medical care there?
Total shit unfortunately.
But if you have the money, 1 hour flight gets you to Milan which has world class healthcare

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Frita wrote:
@Seppia
Just from online pictures and AirBnb pictures, Palermo looks quite nice for several weeks/months/years. What is the state of medical care there?
also, in the first page of this thread I detailed a bit of info. I just re-read it and can confirm it's still valid today 3 years later

chenda

Post by chenda »

Its probably the most beautiful island in the Mediterranean, which, imho, is the most beautiful and vibrant region on earth by a order of magnitude.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Italy is our favorite holiday destination. We've been to various parts several times and my wife spent a year there on Erasmus. We talked about moving to Italy for retirement since we like so much about the country and my wife is (was?) fluent in Italian while I could probably pick it up fairly easily as it's considered to be one of the easiest languages for Polish people to learn. We also have an interest in all the ancient stuff since we studied it at Uni. It also goes without saying that the food and wine is one of the best in the world. The only things that put us off are: bureaucracy (when my wife went to study there, it took her several days and few visits to various offices just to get a foreign student card which was necessary for pretty much everything including renting a flat) and the weather (most people love it but it's out with my Goldilocks zone which is between 15 - 20c with anything above 25 being progressively more uncomfortable. Falling asleep even in May is a challenge when there's 30c+ outside and the air is absolutely still). There's little chance things will get better (cooler) in the coming decades so we will probably just stick to the holiday.

WRT getting paid for staying somewhere, I'd pass. I'd rather pay for staying in tier 1 or top tier 2 city than move to a place where supply >>> demand, usually due to all the young people leaving for bigger places. An analogy would be a stock with extremely low PE (think low single digits) - usually, there's something structurally wrong with it and it's in terminal decline. You don't even need to figure out what it is, investors avoiding it tell you all you need to know.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Bankai wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:06 pm
but it's out with my Goldilocks zone which is between 15 - 20c with anything above 25 being progressively more uncomfortable.
Oh, you'd love the west coast of the USA, particularly northern California. If you can't stand grey winters, then pick from Gold Beach, Oregon, on south. If you need big city life, then you'll have to stick to the Bay area.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Thanks for reviving the thread!

Sometimes I think, now it the time to move about Europe and take advantage of the great arrangement of Schengen Zone, who knows how long it will last. No need for any documents, one can just get on a plane/train/bike and experience different culture, language, food, just so much novelty.

And there is tons of jobs for various levels of commitment and skill all over Europe. I am thinking helpx or workaway for 10-25h/week and breaking even, some low skilled jobs where language is not a priority, seasonal jobs in the Alps, high skilled jobs for those who want them (ok maybe these not that abundant across the board).

@Seppia, I would be interested to hear your opinion on Udine, I have some in-laws living there. When we went to visit, we also travelled to Trieste. It was great but soooo windy at the time! I did a project about WWI in the Alps with some people from Trieste a while back. They had a strong local identity and were talking a lot of the unique history of the city.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

guitarplayer wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 am
@Seppia, I would be interested to hear your opinion on Udine, I have some in-laws living there. When we went to visit, we also travelled to Trieste. It was great but soooo windy at the time! I did a project about WWI in the Alps with some people from Trieste a while back. They had a strong local identity and were talking a lot of the unique history of the city.
In the area, people from Udine jokingly say the people from Trieste only live to enjoy life and are "the southerners of the north".
People from Trieste jokingly say that in Udine they work like crazy because they have nothing else to live for. And they admit they don't like working so much.
Udine is, like most italian cities, very pretty. Plus it is efficient and things work (public transport, healthcare, etc). Food is great but not as good as in Trieste. You're a stone throw away from many beautiful places.
I'd still pick living in Trieste and it's not close (the sea, the weather, the food). Yes Trieste is VERY windy a few days a year, they have a specific wind (called Bora) that can reach 110mph - 180km/h

Full disclosure: I live in Trieste but I'm not from here

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oh damn, i just ate some pepperoncini from calabria and i’d gladly pay to live in italy.

trieste: every time i hear the name i think of james joyce

is there a big croatian influence there or no? i always thought of trieste as a transition zone. wasn’t it here&there historically, a bit like alsace/lorraine, which maybe explains the cultural shift? or am i dreaming this?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

No you’re not.
The hills behind the city, called the Carso, are home to many bilingual people.
I have multiple colleagues that will speak among themselves in Slovenian.
It reflects in the culture.
the food for example is Mediterranean (lots of fish, amazing olive oil etc) but also very mitteleuropean (smoked pork, kraut, stews).
Most times, people from the Carso are said to be 50% Italian and 50% Slovenian.
I personally love culture mixes so I always reply they look 100% Slovenian and 100% Italian to me.
That usually puts a smile on their faces.
Reality is, if they were mandated to identify with one culture, they would pick Slovenian.

The city of Trieste is different though.
People usually only speak Italian, and their culture/habits are 90% Italian.
still, there’s a large yugo community. For example there’s an Orthodox Church right in the city center , and a full borough which is mostly yugo (Serbs and Croatians mostly).

The city shows a lot of Austrian influence (look at the Municipio, city hall)

sky

Post by sky »

My recollection of Trieste is a long road along the ocean with small beach and shoreline areas, and then driving around in circles through narrow roads lined with parked cars, trying to find the border crossing to Yugoslavia.

My first impression of Italy was crossing the border from Austria and driving through the mountains on a multilane highway with no striping separating the driving lanes. I immediately switched into Ben Hur chariot race driving mode, lane position was referenced entirely to other vehicles hurtling side by side down the mountain curves, many of whom would have killed to receive the prize of first down the mountain.