Rejoining the Work Force

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
tradfgh

Rejoining the Work Force

Post by tradfgh »

I was arrested two years ago, and was never able to get a decent job since, due to an arrest record, and a bad driving record due to a DUI (this was a bigger problem than an arrest).

Well now my net worth is jumping between 590k and 620k due to some tech stocks I own, and I am still living with my parents in the Bay Area.

I applied to Tesla a while ago for help desk, but was rejected, then I applied for their entry level production assistant (lowest paid job there), and they seem AWFULLY desperate, I skipped the first interview, because it is 30 miles away, and pays between $15-$20 an hour for 10 hour shifts, generally in the middle of the night.

People generally say the job is quite stressful, your on your feet for the entire shift, and but the pay is a subsistence living wage for the Bay Area, which is better than any other offer I have received since I was I left government.

What is the best way of getting all the benefits I possibly can, during my job offer/ interview.

I know they hire about 10 people, and 7 quit within the first month, is this basically the new face of America's work force?

Is it just me, or is this a significantly lower pay and worse environment than the workers over at Ford / GMC or Toyota?

Riggerjack

Re: Rejoining the Work Force

Post by Riggerjack »

Ok, first, WTF would you want to work at Tesla? Riggerjack's first rule of career choice is not to compete for a job against hobbyists or retirees. Now I have to add fanboys. Do not compete against hobbyists, retirees, or fanboys. They will work for emotional support, rather than a pay check. Hence the pay differential between GM and Tesla.

Second, WTF would you want to work as an entry level production assistant ?

What did you do to make the money in your portfolio, and why not do that again?

DUIs are ugly, and will pretty much kill your corporate options. So start thinking about noncorporate options.

You have a portfolio, it's time to think of leveraging that.

Or relocation and retirement.

With your money, your options are still greater than the average job seeker. Focus on your opportunities, rather than the doors that are closed.

Seriously, what do you want to do? That is the question you should be asking. Not, what can I get paid to do? Which is almost limitless.

tradfgh

Post by tradfgh »

Working for Tesla would be a 6 month stint so I could qualify for a 4 plex in North Bay or South Bay, I also want to buy a pumper truck (Hino will run me about 100,000).

Pumping poop, is the kind of industry where you hang your shingle out and wait for a call... so I was hoping I would be able to get late after noon-evening shift at Tesla to make it less depressing when I buy buy truck, and don't receive many calls for the first 3-6 months.

tradfgh

Post by tradfgh »

I want to smoke weed, bang a hot russian, chinese or colombian mail order bride, and play LOTS of video games; and own a nice house with an acre near/on the outskirts of a major metropolitian area, with a dock or pudget sound, like, ocean, river access.

Roughly I figure my cost per year in living would be 40k-60k a year spending money (women increase spending by huge amounts, currently im at like 15k), and my dream house would cost about 400k, so my total FIRE amount would be 2 million.

The jobs being offered at Tesla arn't fan boy jobs, they're nasty standing up being the eyes, ears, and hands for the assembly line...

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

So you have been talking about a septic truck for a while, now. What's the hold up?

C40

Post by C40 »

Catfood factories in the middle of Iowa (and other super low COL areas) pay as much as that Tesla job. . And maybe 1 out of 10 new hires quit.

In the bay area, couldn't you just be a barista at any corner coffee shop and make that much money?

C40

Post by C40 »

And, how important is the house? 2 out of 4 of your desired lifestyle activities aren't all that expensive (weed and video games), and if you find the right mail-order bride, she'll go to work and earn money while you veg out at home. And, IDK much about mail order brides, but I know for sure that most women aren't going to be willing to have a lot of sex with a dude who mainly smokes weed and plays games, so that complicates the search even more. A mail-order bride is not a full-time hooker, right?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I cant believe DUI's are that big of a deal in USA that they wipe you out from corporate jobs. Certainly not the case in NZ or Australia. Not if you just have one drunk driving conviction and nothing else. I know loads of corporate people who got a drunk driving conviction when young and stupid in university days.

Maybe try and find an admin type job somewhere.. All the admin staff in any company I have worked for seem to have a very relaxed low stress low responsibility working life but still earn around $50k or so. I wouldn't think those jobs are too hard to obtain if you have sufficient general office skills and are open minded.