Moving

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Jason

Re: Moving

Post by Jason »

My feeling is that if you are moving from one environment to another that possesses no material distinctions with the exception that its a different state or region, there is nothing culturally stimulating about it. Now if the economic benefits are significant, that's important to you as parents, but don't rationalize the move as though it will provide cultural benefits.

If you are moving from a suburban to an urban environment or in reverse, or from one country to another that's a different matter.

Listen, I like stability, what can I say. I understand its a personal preference, but that's my two cents.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@CMonkey I had a similar experience when I got my first remote job. I instantly wanted to move, even though my location was perfectly reasonable. What is your dream location? Maybe it's time to revive this thread? :) https://forum.earlyretirementextreme.co ... &start=250

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@smashter, We will move close to DW's family when the time comes since we are pretty close to them. The city they live in has everything we want too, a good library, a 200+ acre park, good riding/walking trails, great COL.

There are a number of things we don't like about our current area, number one being there are more than 5K people in the 50 sq/mi around us. ;)

BPA

Post by BPA »

I think I understand how you feel.

My youth was chaotic and I longed for stability and a physical place that would embody it. It was a real triumph for me when, as a single mother, I was able to buy a not so fancy house in a safe neighbourhood. My kids loved growing up here.

I quit working two years ago when my son was in his last year of high school. I knew I couldn't live here indefinitely without working again. But for the last seven years I've become acquainted with a lower cost of living area and I've fallen in love with it. For the longest time, I felt sad when I thought about selling my house here, but I've been practising stoicism and have been imagining life in my chosen town. I could sell my place here, and have a much nicer duplex there without a mortgage.

And so that's what I'm hoping to be in the process of doing now.

The weird thing is that even six months ago I felt sad about leaving my house here, but now...I can't wait to move. It could be because my son is now an adult and is making his own choices. He loved growing up here and I think he'll be sad when I sell. But I am excited about moving. And the perfect property is now available.

The same family drama that caused chaos when I was young will soon be 2000 km away. I'll have walks along the ocean front and bike rides on trails. I can walk everywhere in this town which luckily has a number of amenities that I need. The two things it doesn't have are good restaurants and many high-paying jobs. But I don't have to care about those. My partner has already moved there for a job. (Luckily his job is paying comparable to what he was making here.) My brother, who is my roommate, is going with me. My son might join me later.

So, I'm guessing stoicism, getting to know the new place, and visualizing life there all have helped me. Plus, it means I don't have to work if I don't want to. I love that idea.

Good luck!