I'm starting to hate my 9-5?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
BRUTE

Re: I'm starting to hate my 9-5?

Post by BRUTE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 pm

not sure if this is possible in every profession, but brute really enjoys some of the creative parts of his job. his colleagues are mostly nice, pleasant, and fun to work with. there is something to be said for finishing a challenging project.

brute doesn't love all of his job, but he really likes at least 50% of it and loves a few things. if that's not the case for TopHatFox, it's going to be difficult to even do 5 years.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:52 pm

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:39 pm
Obviously I believe the free future will be better in many ways, but that's not an impediment to being happy, content, whatever, now.
Yes, I see your points and they are taken. There is no doubt I am a future oriented person and would greatly benefit, in many aspects of life, from learning to become more present focused. I think the other part of my current dissatisfaction is the amount of energy my 9-5 is taking (ie way too much!). I just don't have the energy to enjoy my free time presently. I'm fully aware FI will not solve any of my problems, what it will do is free up time and energy for me to solve them. My job has really taken a turn for the worse over the past several months and it's time I reevaluate if it's the one I want to keep for several more years to achieve some level of FI. Frankly, I doubt it I'll put up with it much longer. Unfortunately, I designed my situation around this job a little too well and am I'm in the middle an S-curve (from a financial prospective) with this 9-5; golden handcuffs are tough to break. This probably why 7WB5's idea
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm
if you were tasked with helping to build a stone wall, and you were paid $2 for every stone you put in place, and as soon as you were able to put 100,000 stones in place you would be FI?
is so much more appealing to me today than it was a year ago. No need to stay presently unhappy as payment to future me. Instead of earning $2 per stone, I may cut my rate to $1, but get to enjoy the process of placing each one rather than resenting the existence of the pile of unplaced stones. After all, I've already got a big chunk of the wall built. I may need to take some of my own advice to Olaz and start enjoying the journey again.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:39 pm
Maybe a "systems flows standpoint" will help. I hope it does for you. I really don't quite grasp the concept myself. That's on purpose, sorta. In my profession "system" has multiple (though each one precise) meanings, and when people write about systems here it makes my head hurt. I'm maxed out on the number of different ways I can simultaneously think about system theory.
I was thinking about this statement and wanted to respond because I really wanted to clarify to myself what this has meant for me so far in my ERE journey. So perhaps it's more of a personal musing than a response.

Systems flow thought process doesn't have to be theoretical in nature. As a matter of fact, the way I view ERE it's practical and actionable. Once the financial side of FI was somewhat handled from a Boglesheads or MMM perspective. I had the feelings Zalo is talking about in the thread topic(tie in to topic :lol: ). Having a 75% SR, detailed investment plan, reduced expenses, ect I was in a situation which I needed more actionable things to undertake and see results. This is where ERE came in, not just to accelerate FI, but to make it more anti-fragile and the process less of a dull waiting game.

So... as an example, housing. Bogleheads would teach me I could accumulated 250K to pay off my mortgage and another 250K to sustain a WR to cover insurance, taxes and maintenance for life with index investing. A MMM approach may be to downsize to be more efficient; so now I need 150K to pay off mortgage and another 150K to cover expenses on a smaller, more efficient, and less environmentally destructive housing situation. Maybe even start a fun side gig to cover half of the annual maintenance expenses so now I only need 225K. Great! I just cut 200- 275K off of an FI number, but but this is really only a difference of scale.

With ERE I can think of housing completely different. It's something I "need", but I can fulfill that need by parlaying other parts of my life (or interests and skills) into reducing or eliminating the need for capital to provide housing through a self reinforcing system. As a renaissance man, I have a highly varied skill set. For the last few years I've been an RN. I could easily find a housing situation in which I provide a few basic cares, set up medications, ect for an elderly person in exchange for free room and board. I've been in finance and real estate so I could easily find a small multi unit property(2-4 units), slap a 20% down payment (maybe only 30K in capital), live in and manage the property to provide housing for life financed by rent and time spend as a property manager. As a fan of C40's blog and a recent experimenter of traveling and living in a vehicle, I could front 5-10K in capital to buy a more permanent vehicle/RV living situation which would only require a couple hundred dollars a month (maybe 75K in invested capital) to maintain indefinitely. Each of these options can reap other benefits to life as well.

I could list a half dozen more examples of how to make housing work off the top of my head. Now, I wont speak for Jacob, and my understanding of his systems theory and thought processes may still be limited. However, this is how ERE change me and created actionable ways to use and expand my skill set in unconventional ways to create real-life systems. These system potentials (and realities I'm currently utilizing) are anti-fragile because they don't just depend on financial capital or income from employment. My extra financial capital is just a backup in the event of failure of one of the systems or to fund the potential start up costs of making lifestyle change to a different system if the current situation is no longer reinforcing other goals.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am

It's possible the job is a bad fit. There's a million different ways you can earn money. It's not like you need that much of it, or have to get it all up front. Don't anchor on something if you truly hate it. Life is too short.

Funny enough, though, one of the things that keeps me working, is the easy access to a concentrated source of smart people. Once the idiots and assholes are filtered out, there are all sorts of ways to have fun while working. You need to find them. One of my favorite games is to try and figure out someone else's agenda for a meeting, project, promotion, or whatever. Then see how they react when I help them get it. It's more entertaining than being self serving for dollars, and the variance in what people want is fascinating.

I do sometimes wonder, if I'm finding this much enjoyment, am I'm the sociopath making everyone else hate work? Are they all pretending?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Nah, the job's fine. It's teaching me a ton of wealthy people problems, which is/will be me soon. Minus the heavy overhead of course. I've gotten used to the routine by now. Yay~ (y)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am

classical_Liberal,
I understand what you are saying re systems, and the only difference between me and a real ERE-er is that I don't worry too much about optimizing wrt to minimizing the role of capital (financial assets). It's a consideration, of course, because it is a finite resource, but it's all part of one palette of tools to me. I don't think of it being "system" stuff except that it is (for myself) or resembles (imperfect understanding of how others do it) an optimization problem. Such a problem requires a parameter to be optimized and a cost function. Money is not one of the things I try to optimize (either accumulating a maximum tally, or minimize the role of) so its use doesn't come with a real high penalty weight. So maybe it's more that I'm just operating under a paradigm that isn't 100% aligned with the "ERE system".

James_0011

Post by James_0011 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm

@olaz

Just retire right now: http://mashable.com/2013/11/04/bought-a ... ETDgoojOqW

He bought a 50k apartment and it generates 13k a year from Airbnb.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Hah, that's cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar in the coming months!