Folding Bike v. Regular Bike?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Folding Bike v. Regular Bike?

Post by TopHatFox »

Folding:

+ easier loading on mass transit
+ take up less space
+ lighter
- smaller wheels means sensitivity to bumps
- limit to distance travelled (?)
- limit to bicycle trailer size (?)

Regular

+ bigger wheels can take more bumps
+ longer trips are easier (?)
+ regular bicycle trailer can be used
- harder to pack or travel with on mass transit
- take up more space
- heavier

---------

All of this in mind, I'm considering getting a touring/commuter folding bike instead of a regular touring/commuter bike.

My largest concern is whether I can use something like a folding bike to pull hundreds of miles of riding in one long tour? Something to look into.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Re: Folding Bike v. Regular Bike?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

You might want to investigate the particulars of the mass transit system you will be using. In my region, it is very easy to load regular bikes on to the rack in the front of a bus.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's no limit to distance and trailer size on a small bike. Dahon makes (or made?) short-touring bikes that could do a few hundred miles. However, you will need specialty parts (20" wheels, fenders, etc.) instead of run of the mill parts available on all continents. Your limitation is essentially hardware based and you will pay more with a folding bike for the same thing. I suppose you can compare this [problem] to the usual consumer grade minimalism in which minimalists substitute stuff for cost (typically via renting or paying for services).

Yeah, wheel size is definitely a thing. I can only imagine how smooth the ride on a penny farthing must be! You can use the typical used-car salesman trick of running your tires on low pressure. You'll work harder pedaling though.

Folding bikes are not necessarily lighter. Pretty sure my boardwalk was heavier than my racer. A bike is a bike is a bike. A folding bike is just "framed" somewhat differently. WRT mass transit, Chicago L-trains actually bars regular bikes during commuting hours.

It all depends on what you're optimizing for. There's no perfect bike.

There's something to be said for the bike strategy I first adopted when I came to the US. I bought a used MTB (Walmart brand) clonker for $30 or so from another postdoc. It served me well for two years for the 2M commute between the house and the university. When we moved to CA and I wanted to get rid of it, I simply left it unlocked on campus. It was stolen the next day. Problem solved.

TL;DR - Touring and commuting is not the same thing. If you want a regular commuter that can also do some rare light and slightly but comparable touring, get a folding.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I tried a Dahon Mariner today. I liked it a lot!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Why limit yourself to one bicycle? Particularly if you chose to opt for a folder, stowing one extra bicycle at home shouldn't be a major issue.

As Jacob says, there's no one bicycle that can be optimised to everything. Some people who have less space or don't have the resources would settle for fot a compromised ride.

If you needs don't vary too often, decide what you need to do with your bike and get a one dedicated to that niche. I have a light and nimble racer for dry weather commutes and leisure/workout rides and a robust tourer for with racks for hauling and guards for wet weather. Personally, if one day I suddenly needed to start taking city transport, I would simply add a quality used folder to my fleet and evaluate if I still need both the other bicycles.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Oh my goodness, I have discovered the NYC craiglist. I have never seen so much high qualitystuff in high variety in one CL. Thank you hyper consumerism. Used folding bike here I come!

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Olaz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm
Oh my goodness, I have discovered the NYC craiglist. I have never seen so much high qualitystuff in high variety in one CL. Thank you hyper consumerism. Used folding bike here I come!
If you can find a quality folding bike on CL you are really lucky. I live in a HCOL city but no such luck here. Best of luck in your new career.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hm, I wish the Dahon Mariner D7 I got had more gearing, especially for hills. It is a bit of a difficult climb up some hills. Apparently, for a folding bike to go from 7 sprockets to 8-10 requires a new wheel and drivetrain. Wellllll, shit. Wish I had found the D8.

Might need to re-sell and find something better. It'll do for now. I'm reminded of Jacob's post on buying the best at the outset.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Are you sure you need more gears or do you need the low gears to go lower? More gears doesn't necessarily mean a lower gear ratio is available.

I haven't looked at the bike but you may be able to switch the front chainring or the cassette to provide one or more lower gears. Do your homework though, there may be compatibility and clearance issues.

cat9

Post by cat9 »

Olaz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm
Stolen?

C40

Post by C40 »

Most of the stuff on craigslist is people selling their own stuff. Not much stolen.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We're getting a folding bike for DS to take back to college. DH is in love with the Dahon Mariner D8 and can get the bike and the case/bag for about $600 from a local dealer.

DS would have to take the bike back to school on a plane. I assume he can check it like a golf bag. Has anyone ever checked their folding bike as luggage?

If it matters ... he's very comfortable on a bike and handy with tools. He'll be riding it around Rapid City, SD.

Loner

Post by Loner »

I never took a bike on a plane, but I used to work in a bike shop and people took their bikes on airplanes all the time. We gave people old bike boxes for free to carry them. If you need a box, and I believe airlines require it, you should ask you local bike shop, or the place you'll buy it from, to give you a box. As for the plane, I believe most airlines will check bike boxes as if they were a normal luggage, as long as it doesn't exceed the weight requirements.

Now, can't he just get a folding bike on local classifieds (for one sixth the price) once he gets there? Here in Montreal I see those bikes being sold for quite cheap sometimes.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ha, yes he could. It's a gift and DH is set on buying him a new bike to celebrate a pretty big accomplishment. He's never had a new bike. (he's rarely had a 'new' anything)

We went to our local bike shop to order it. He said the same thing you did about using the box on the plane. He offered to box it back up after Christmas and ship it out to school for him, so problem solved for now.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

The bike folds down really small. You may even be able to put it in a big carry on.

Mariner D8 is a great bike!

CS

Post by CS »

@jp
My dad and his wife have folding bikes that come with their own suitcases. It makes going on destination biking trips simple. Check the thing like luggage and off you go. Shipping bikes in boxes can sort of suck (had one arrive all mangled and needing some tlc). YMMV