Different ways to make an impact on young humans

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
wood

Different ways to make an impact on young humans

Post by wood »

One of my friends and role models is a guy my age (32) who lives in a poor neighbourhood just outside Nairobi. He lost both his parents when he was young and he sometimes skips breakfast to save money because he lives a life in poverty. What I admire about him is the way he is making an impact on kids and youth through being a soccer coach and always sharing with them his life wisdom. He teaches them not only soccer, but how to protect one self from HIV infection, parental abuse, bullying, peer pressure. He educates them about adult matters and sometimes using fitness games to get the message across. He is well known and respected by age mates and elders in his local community. Kids and youth look up to him, his social network is huge. He has power and uses that for something positive. His involvement also provides occasional income opportunities for him.

I would like to contribute in a similar way to my local community, wherever I may reside. This is something I want to get into on a low scale now and possibly increase my efforts once I retire from the 9-5. I don't know if soccer is the right channel for me, it could be. But I'd like to be involved with kids on some level, because I don't have kids myself. I imagine being 50 years old and having some friends who are younger than me. Maybe mentoring someone. I like the positive fashion in which you acquire social network this way. I like soccer among other sports, animals and nature.

What are the different ways one can go about this? Anyone in here spending their time doing something similar?