Is a minivan the best vehicle choice for van living?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
tsch

Re: Is a minivan the best vehicle choice for van living?

Post by tsch »

ChrisAtTTL wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am
Anybody tried something like this with a Prius?
Yes! I use that (Prius tent made by Habitents) on my 2014 Prius. A friend had it after selling his Prius and gave it to me when he saw that I'd gotten the car.

I like it a lot. With the seats folded down in the Prius, it creates a totally flat platform, large enough for a twin-size mattress or pad when you push the front seats forward, if you use a sheet of plywood to overhang the gap between back and front seats. When you add the tent to that built-in versatility, it gets better.

I have stealth-slept in the car without the tent several times, but the tent is super nice for ventilation and giving you more room to change clothes, etc.

I'm considering relocating and made an exploratory trip up the coast a couple of weeks ago. I used HipCamp to find a small private campground where I felt reasonably safe with respect to sanitation and reduced exposure to other people (the large campgrounds scare the bejeezus out of me in this respect, and stealth seemed like a bad idea also.) I was really comfortable. I felt like it was the best balance of maxed my safety and minimizing my expenses.

It's very nimble as well. I can pack up and move along quickly, as well as settle in for the night without too much fuss. Not to mention handling the road better than all new RV drivers learning about inertia out on the roads right now.