Unahpopy in whatever I do

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
lordmetroid

Unahpopy in whatever I do

Post by lordmetroid »

When I am employed I feel miserable. My life is grinded away occupied at work for 8 hours a day and several hours in addition to that getting ready and going from and to work. Not only that, my life is totally controlled by an employement, it decided when I shall eat and when I shall sleep, when I shall be having some leisure time and so on.

Though, since September last year I have been unemployed. No need to worry about money as I had an unemployment insurance that been paying out 80% of my salary. However I am still not happy, nowdays I am wasting away lying on the couch and surfing the internet. Even things I do want to do like start my own business, I can't get myself to do. I have tried creating a schedule and get into some routine but I rather just surf the internet meaninglessly it seems.

I am miserable being unemployed as well!

wood

Re: Unahpopy in whatever I do

Post by wood »

This is why, when aiming for ERE, one should not only aim to "quit work" but aim towards the life you want to live.

In my experience, blaming other institutions (like workplace, government etc) for ones own misery rarely leads to happiness. Lying on the couch is your choice, and if lying on the couch makes you feel miserable it means you are choosing to be miserable. I want a life without my full time job, but whether I feel happy or miserable at this workplace is pretty much my choice.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

It's possible you are depressed. Consider talking to a psychologist or similar.

Did

Post by Did »

Focus on getting some sex. No excuse these days with apps, dating sites etc. And exercise more.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:It's possible you are depressed. Consider talking to a psychologist or similar.
+1

Also make sure you're eating well and exercising.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

In my case, I got used to being unhappy.. regardless if I'm working or unemployed, I'm usually somewhat unhappy. But over time I became happy with being unhappy.. strangely enough.

sharansingh

Post by sharansingh »

I think you are getting depressed by all these. try to do what ever you want eat, sleep, exercise, laugh..just do it, u will became happy after sometimes...remember it take more time to growing up from depressed.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

If you are depressed you need to seek help for that, however if it is just unhappiness you need to understand most misery related to work is rooted in lack of meaning in life.

To progress you must recognise you have the agency and freedom to do anything you wanth with your life and when you lack (or perceive a lack of) freedom it is normal to feel this unhappiness. The fact that you suggest your work is grinding suggests it isn't particularly fulfilling, or you lack other structure to provide your meaningful activity.

Only you can find true meaning in what you do. I suggest you read this book for useful insight into finding meaningful work.

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Real-Caree ... 1497533406

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

This post certainly got my attention as I am generally an unhappy person myself, although most people wouldn't know it unless they really knew me. Luckily, I'm able to kick myself into gear when I get down before it gets too bad. Sitting staring at the wall feeling bad for myself has gotten me absolutely nowhere. It's true that exercise and eating right is a big part, but also having someone that you can just talk and complain to is a big part of it, too. (At least it has been for me.) Also, realize that the focus on happiness seems to be rammed down our throats at every possible opportunity here in the U.S. There is now scientific evidence which proves that someone people are not as happy as others based on their genetic makeup so for a person like me, I'm guess that's a part of it. However, if your unhappiness is affecting your daily life, then it's probably time for some professional help.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I read somewhere, in my self enlightenment search, That "most people are as happy as they decide to be". The glass of life is ALWAYS simultaneously half full and half empty. Take your pick.

It's kind of stupid, but having a list of all the things you are grateful for, enjoy, or otherwise like, is very helpful. On a negative type of day, when the unpleasantness of life seems to stack up, just review the list and things seem brighter.

Simplistic, but it works. Try it and see.

GandK

Post by GandK »

lordmetroid wrote:I am miserable being unemployed as well!
What makes you happy?

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

I find depression happens when I lack specific goals or progress towards goals. Paying the bills is an insufficient goal. Working toward a skill, accomplishment, or fitness achievement can all make you feel a worthy purpose. This is complicated by the fact that depression makes such goals seem pointless. In that case, it is best to look at depression as a physiologic condition. Medication is one treatment, another approach is establishing a proper day/night cycle. Physical activity in natural sunlight and avoidance of artificial light sources in the evenings improves sleep quality, and results in a more pleasant mood while awake. Pleasant moods lead to productivity and motivation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17917561
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v20/n1 ... 4138a.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_therapy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy
http://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/min ... depression