The passing of time: Is 10 years really a long time?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Freedom_2018

Re: The passing of time: Is 10 years really a long time?

Post by Freedom_2018 »

All things being equal..time passes faster the older you are...1 year is 10% of the lifetime of a 10 year old and 1.25% of an 80 yr old.

But since things are not equal...dull routine is the enemy of time..and conversely intentional variety makes the time going by seem elongated.

Zlar Vixen

Post by Zlar Vixen »

When you're a young adult, 10 years is a SHITLOAD of time. A decade ago, I was in the fifth grade. A lifetime of things have happened since then.

Think of it this way. In 10 years, you age from 10-20 years of age. Likewise, you age from 20-30 and 30-40, and so on. An entire decade passes between each. The average person lives until the age of 80, meaning they get only 8 of these 10 year periods in their entire life. Relative to human importance, ten years is a scary amount of time.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Did wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:14 am
I wonder if that is a reason to defer the accumulation phase to middle age? Ha. YOLO during the eternity phase of youth, and slog it out during the blink of an eye phase of 40-45.
I am reading this thread in chronological order so don't know if this sentence has been addressed, but man this put a smile on my face!

Philip Zimbardo (inventor of the Stanford prison experiment) wrote a book on the perception of time if I am not mistaken, it is called 'The Time Paradox.'

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@guitarplayer

Which reminds me....a great thing about ERE level savings is that at any point in your life from 20-30, 30-40, 40-50....you could sprint out the accumulation phase and be done with it if one so desired.

OTOH, I'd rather be done with it early on for cognitive reasons. I feel like working memory is probably better when you're younger. Not like one won't be smart in there 40s but then you'll have to compete a bit with the younger hungrier, possibly more motivation generation on jobs. Unless you just go into business for yourself and hire the younglings.