Are you Happy?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

To me happiness is day-to-day and somewhat based on external factors. I seek contentment, which can be equally difficult to find.

rufousdog

Post by rufousdog »

@KevinM: I am uncomfortable with the idea of yearning for happiness because the word "happiness" itself has many different meanings, or shades of meaning.
OTOH, contentment is achievable. But it is at odds with striving and yearning, which probably have discontent as their basis for motivation.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@yogi, @Surio
Surio gave an excellent explanation for why I find the transition to the next job difficult. Aside from the practical problem of having become overly specialized (remember Fearless Leader's admonition to be a Renaissance Man or Woman) so that I fit into fewer and fewer employment niches, there is the paralyzing lack of enthusiasm based on past history that Surio mentions.
On another level, I have tried science (chemistry at university); religion (six years as monk); and law. Each discipline has offered interesting challenges as well as mundane, repetative tasks. But my biggest disappointments have revolved around poor leadership, typically resulting in petty bureaucracy and micromanagement rather than vision, inspiration and innovation. I've found that if an employee demonstates the latter traits, he or she rarely ascends to a leadership role -- too much rocking the boat. Venkatesh's "Gervais Priniciple" probably explains why only sociopaths, as he defines them, succeed as C-level executives.
BTW I wish I was as masterful at the "being in the moment" practice as Surio seems to give me credit for. Monasticism definelty provided me with a strong suite of values and practices for cultivating mindfulness, but the distinction between a concept in the intellect and an act of the will is still as wide as a gorge on some days.
@Surio

WRT to my nickname, I'd like to say it was inspired by Speigelman's great graphic novel; but the truth of the matter is that I acquired it in law school when a buddy altered some Calvin & Hobbes comic strips to make me the protagonist in a battle with our editor on the law review. Calvin was wearing a cape and flying, so I became Maus -- probably after the even older Mighty Mouse comic. The revised strips proved quite poplar with the student body at large; so the knickname stuck.

yogi

Post by yogi »

@Maus @Surio

Thanks for the posts. They were helpful.
@Maus

So what was life as a monk like? I've always wondered what it would be like to pursue "enlightenment" full time.
@rufousdog
I'm going to assume what you mean is that you learned that someone with "the Pollyanna mentality" is someone who is pretending that the bad in her life is really good. You also learned that this doesn't make sense because something bad is never good.
Yes, if a person gets lemons and then tries to pretend the lemons are sweet, that is pretty crazy. [corny alert]But if a person decides that "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade," that's pretty smart.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@yogi
Well, life as a monk -- at least in the modern expression of the Catholic tradition that I experienced -- is not particularly the full-time pursuit of enlightenment. There's no question that a significant portion of each day is given over to prayer and meditation, both communally and in private reflection. But my monastery, as is the case with most, also relied on a lot of physical chores to maintain daily life. While we had a cook 6 days a week, the monks washed the pots and dishes. All the janitorial work and groundswork were done by the monks. Some of us were assigned particular tasks, e.g. the infirmarian stocked medical supplies and saw that sick monks were cared for and the guestmaster oversaw hospitality for visitors. I was an assistant librarian, responsible for checking books out and in and cataloging new acquisitions.
Most of my years were spent studying philosophy and theology in preparation for priestly ordination. This entailed travelling several days a week to the Graduate Theological Union in north Berkeley. So, in many respects, it would be fair to say that my life as a monk was similar to a graduate student who doesn't party much or date at all -- very quiet in a peaceful, productive way.
It took me longer than most to realize that I wasn't on the proper path for me. I was particularly hesitant about ordination to the priesthood. So I left one month before solemn vows, which are meant to be observed until death. It was a great experience, for which I have no regrets.

yogi

Post by yogi »

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good experience for you. At the very least, it sounds like it would keep you pretty busy. When I'm feeling a little down, I've found that it's best to keep the mind occupied too. I've also found it difficult to focus on the present when I'm feeling strong negative emotions. Sometimes it's practically impossible.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@yogi,

But if a person decides that "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade," that's pretty smart.

Corny or otherwise, DO retain that spirit! More power to you for that, my man.

Yes, there's a misconception that monks don't do very much except spin wheels or keep a fire going. I've stayed in a couple of monastries (few days in contemplation, more like it) and the monks and volunteers (that would be me!) are spinning away from dawn until after dusk....and the day's work is never complete! In some places the initiates have cooking duties too.
@Maus,

Any chance you would like to share those comic strips with us? "Spaceman spiff" becomes "Maus" :-D! If it has your mugshot and you are uncomfortable sharing it, I will understand. No issues. I wanted to ask you which theological stream was your monkhood from, but you have answered that one.
Silence (or sometimes interpreted as stillness) also has very deep resonance in Hinduism and Buddhism. There's a few Sanskrit sayings on Silence that goes:
"Maunam SarvArtha SAdhakam" which translated means, "Silence is the tool that grants the knowledge to the meaning of everything"

Another one:

"Mounabuktham mahAprasAdham" which roughly translates to "Food partaken in silence gets transformed into the elixir of life"

I would still love to know how that one ends:

An astrophysicist, a monk and a sex-worker walk into a bar......

And my version of it would be in poor taste!

"Ouch!" followed by "I see the Alpha Centuari so close now".... "All universe is but pain and suffering" and "That would be $700 for the pleasure, Thank You! no credit cards!"
Best,

Surio.

--

yogi

Post by yogi »

@Surio
Care to share any of the lessons you learned (or other comments) from your stay in the monasteries?
PS. Your last joke there flew right over my head :)

Surio

Post by Surio »

I think we ought to defer to the practical experience of brother Maus first before I put my Size 11 into it :-). If he deigns to open a thread, and share a few gems, that would be lovely.
Joke's from an earlier post.
jacob => astrophysicist

maus => monk

Micaela => said she worked in the sex industry

Oh yes! we ARE an eclectic bunch, we (wannabe) EREers (if we include sorcerers in the mix, LOL!) Check it out.
If you think that whole thing was funny, Check out "Uncle Spence's" response!! Woot! (I was/am a board game fan, so woot ;-])

--

yogi

Post by yogi »

@Sorcerer
Yes, I'd be more than happy to hear from Maus on this or any other tread. I had asked you because I personally lean more towards the whole hippy, yoga, Buddhist thing than to Catholicism. And I sometimes daydream of leaving my current troubles behind and joining a Buddhist monastery to ponder the ultimate truths. But I'm sure Maus has much to share as well.

yogi

Post by yogi »

Haha, I too am now a "White Colar Guy" :)

chilly

Post by chilly »

Not really. I'm also terribly stressed though - so I'm certain that the stress will go away. If I become happy as a result, good for me.

M

Post by M »

@Yogi - I thought I was the only one who daydreamed of joining a monastery and leaving all my troubles behind.
As far as happiness goes - I find that I'm at my happiest when I think about God and other spiritual/philosophical subjects. This is an utterly strange thing to explain, especially since I'm an agnostic who works as an engineer, but whenever I am alone with no worries, fears, or hatreds and begin to think about really deep, thought provoking subjects, that is when I am at my happiest.
Actually - that's the reason I want to retire early. No company in the world will pay me to sit around and think about the meaning of life, unless I'm a shareholder. :-P

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Philosopher is rated #16 in the best jobs of 2011 (http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/20 ... best-worst). According to the site, average annual salary is $61,221.00. I have no idea where you get these jobs, though.

yogi

Post by yogi »

@M: Maybe we can start an Agnostic Monastery? :)
@dragoncar: funny. when I click on the Philospher link, I get links to three urologist jobs :)

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

yogi: Yeah, I laughed at the urologist thing too. Now that I think about it, philosophy jobs must be primarily teaching jobs.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Most likely professors; and you'd get to be a professor by getting a PhD in philosophy. However, since each professor trains about 10 people to replace him during his lifetime, competition is rather stiff.
Only 1 in 10 who sets out on that path actually get the reward.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@yogi,

Glad to know that you prefer "new-agey". There's going to be atleast one person to back me up if people hush me as too "namby-pamby" or too fatalistic in an INTJ dominant forum :-D :-)
Pedant moment: A monastic life by definition is that of spiritual inquiry, i.e., constant contemplation into the universal life force that manifests itself as all beings and flows through all beings - whatever be the theology behind the inquiry.

a) Which is one reason why the initates in monasteries call each other "brothers" (children of the same mother, of the universal life force)

b) Which is why soup kitchens and other helping hands like these are initiated by these monasteries (immediate examples coming to mind). In other words, all beings (sentient or otherwise) need to be helped in any help they can. So, a monastery cannot be agnostic (not in the long run anyway) :-) Pedant moment passes peacefully
Philosopher-in-residence (Chief Belief Officer) posts are getting created in India also. I find they are not to my liking as they start twisting timeless concepts to suit some "ulterior agenda" (very Non-ERE!!).
But in truth, the original teachings actually encourage us "to just be", to develop a rhythm with your ecosystem and "do-no-evil" (live and let live) etc... People routinely dismiss this as "navel-gazing" which cannot be so far from the truth, it is unbelievable this falsehood has survived this long (minor rant there!).
IMHO, I don't think these "created positions" will last of long, specially once people see through the fact that "the cake is a lie" is being whitewashed by misusing their core-belief systems!
Maybe when I have some spare time, I will do a few postings tying up Marcus into Gita! ;-) (I am assured of at least one reader :-D - two, if I account for "M" also)

yogi

Post by yogi »

@Surio
Thanks for the usual wise (if sometimes hard to follow :) post. I'll reread it again later to try to fully grasp :) Just wanted to mention that I'm getting busier now and probably won't be posting for a while. Nothing serious. Just letting people know so they don't think I'm leaving them hanging if they ask something.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I am definitely happy. I've heard all unhappiness comes from wanting something other than what is, and I think there is a ring of truth to that. You want to be thin, you want more money, you want it to be sunny, you want your boss to be nicer, etc...
There is a great book I read years ago, called How to Want What You Have (http://amzn.com/0380726823) and it offers 3 happiness tools. They are Attention, Compassion, and Gratitude
With attention, you focus on what is rather than what you want. With compassion, you recognize that all people have essentially the same wants and needs, but they use different tools to try to get them. You could easily be in the same situation. And with gratitude, you recognize all of the positive things in your life. Using all 3 tools, it is hard to be unhappy. ymmv