How to consistently beat insecurity?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

How to consistently beat insecurity?

Post by TopHatFox »

This one is real, especially consistently. For example, back to back tough interviews can really demand a lot of confidence, which can be difficult to come up with day to day. Same with, for example, trying to encourage spending time with a particularly attractive woman that shows a history of borderline interest. Or, of course, trying to maintain enthusiasm at a party with lots of people you only sort of know.

Furthermore, even if logically it's possible to understand everything required to appear confident, the body has an incredible way of making sure that if you do not truly feel confident, your voice might quiver, your tone might be low, your shoulders might be hunched, etc. etc. Quite vicious really.

How have you consistently beaten insecurity, at whatever your point of stress is?

I usually listen or do this every time I need an external boost: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/0 ... onfidence/

JL13

Re: How to consistently beat insecurity?

Post by JL13 »

Practice.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I think testosterone has a pretty big factor, more than people realize. You could make sure your diet is decent, take up lifting weights, etc.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Just remember that most of the basic things you have to do in life are like riding a bicycle. You can study it all you want in a vacuum, but you won't be able to do it until you try and fail, and fail again until you get the hang of it.

Applying for and interviewing for jobs is no different. Be patient with yourself

I agree that heavy physical exercise is a good way to relieve stress and get ready for the next mental battle, especially when you are young.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Do less. Or maybe what I mean is "Do more always. Do less in the moment." What the others said above about practice is very true, but it is the underlying practice that makes the moment of presentation less nerve-wracking. So, in this instance, feeling secure in the knowledge that you are somebody who has good practice, or brings good value, as an employee, will make you feel more secure in the moment of interviewing.

Scrubby

Post by Scrubby »

Do a search for "power pose". It is probably not as ground breaking as the first study suggested, but it does appear to improve self-confidence.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Reword this question as "How to be more secure?" and you will probably see some of the answers immediately.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Another alternative, rather than beating insecurity or making yourself more secure, maybe it makes sense to find ways to experience insecurity more often. It may be good practice for improving the ability to deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqJdmbglOtw

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

+1 Ego

There will always be insecurity if you are focused on challenging yourself and growing. Embrace it. Just like uncertainty and adversity, insecurity will always be present so the best way to deal with it is to up your tolerance.

I'd recommend reading The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Ego wrote:Another alternative, rather than beating insecurity or making yourself more secure, maybe it makes sense to find ways to experience insecurity more often. It may be good practice for improving the ability to deal with it.
Great point. Security is sometimes a sign of stagnation. Feeling a little insecure is a perfectly normal state for people who challenge themselves. If you practice it, you won't fear it. I'm often insecure about what an outcome might be, but highly confident that I'll figure it out.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

theanimal wrote: There will always be insecurity if you are focused on challenging yourself and growing. Embrace it. Just like uncertainty and adversity, insecurity will always be present so the best way to deal with it is to up your tolerance.
Oo, I like it! Insecurity is not necessarily a sign of weakness as it is a sign of potential growth! Ah! How powerful.

Btw, I read your comment on the Vagabond Journey Around the World. I will be like that man, and perhaps continue where he left off, in a few years time. Perhaps we can go adventuring together post-rat race (:
Last edited by TopHatFox on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Get old.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Sclass wrote:Get old.
:lol:

Yes.