Compact rain gear for walking miles to places?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Compact rain gear for walking miles to places?

Post by TopHatFox »

Hopefully something multi-functional. I was thinking a bicycling rain cape combined with rain boots (that way no rain pants are necessary).

Thoughts? If you walk in the rain to work a lot, what do you wear?

George the original one

Re: Compact rain gear for walking miles to places?

Post by George the original one »

Helly Hansen Voss Jacket: http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/vos ... t_type=cat
Lightweight, waterproof, & tough. Pockets are for carrying things rather than putting your hands in. Major downside is that Helly Hansen isn't intended to fit rotund people, so check sizes carefully.

It goes over appropriate layers of warmth. Often worn with my fishing waders, so, uhm, yeah, that part might not be representative of something you'd wear to work. Otherwise, I just wear jeans and shoes (or muck boots for the acreage).

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

If you want something you can always carry with you 'just in case', you could try an inexpensive rain poncho--small light and compact. Or you could try one of the moderately priced lightweight breathable nylon rain suits (be sure to buy large enough that it's easy to get on/off over your other clothes). They pack up fairly small. If you're walking around town, it's hard to beat a good umbrella under most conditions.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I walk IN the rain a lot at work during breaks when I go for a nature walk, usually when it's raining. The North Face and similar gear works quite well for these conditions. A bit pricey, but worth the money IMO.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

If it's not very windy (rain coming from above, not 45 degrees or the side) and you're not using your hands, an umbrella beats all other options. While I've never owned a $100 "lifestyle" umbrella, I can't figure out what such a thing would do that a $2 version can't do. A collapsible one can fit in your pocket. A normal one can be used to fend off dogs, etc. Cost $2.

If you're actively walking or biking, get some kind of *tex. The more you spend here, the more comfortable you will be. Put 80% the money in the jacket, 20% in the pants. If you just want a cheap occasional but high value solution here, check out Frogg Toggs. Cost from $30 to $500 or more.

If you also want to be able to withstand real water as in waves or deluges going on for hours, get a PVC jacket + bibs commercial fisherman's gear. Cost about $100-150.

If you need to "survive", get the rubberized poncho. I can't say I enjoy walking around impersonating a tent personally, nor do I enjoy biking with a tent on top of me, but for reasons I fail to fathom ponchos are popular, so you might like it. These will also keep you (and anything else under them) dry if not damp for hours or days under the worst water (not for waves though) except from the knees down unless you hold it out or combine with gaiters. You can get single use ponchos that fold up to practically nothing or surplus military that's the size of a blanket. Cost $5-50.

Alternative: A contractor trash bag with holes in it is a common improvisation. Cost <$1

Second alternative: Just get soaked like everybody else. Of course this can become a big problem if it's also cold and windy. Obviously not an option for "nature walks".

All prices are retail and just for comparison.

PS: I think a bike cape + rain boots is less multifunctional than any of the above. Rain boots in particular suck for walking (further than the nearest bus stop) and depending on your pedals, they might get chewed up. Only use if you step/stand in 1"+ puddles a lot.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I do use my bike cape (since I don't like it for actual biking!) fairly often for walking in the rain. I don't own rain boots, but my Timberland hiking boots are waterproof. Almost worn out though. I have two more pairs of waterproof boots waiting in the wings, stupid garage sales. I also need some kind of hat with a brim if I want to wear my glasses rather than my contact lenses.

I never see anybody else in Falls City with rain gear, they just go around in wet sweat shirts. I guess I'm the show off rich guy. But I'm a little jealous of them.

OldPro

Post by OldPro »

As a traveller, I am concerned with bulk and weight. The answer is a 'packable' lightweight rainjacket.

I've carried a North Face Venture packable rain jacket for quite a few years now. It weighs 14 oz. and can be stuffed into one of its own pockets. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-venture-jacket-3 It is surprisingly tough given it is so lightweight.

I'm currently considering changing to a Marmot Mica which weighs only 7 oz. The compromise of course is the lighter the fabric, generally the less durable it is. http://snarkynomad.com/5-of-the-best-li ... n-jackets/

Since you asked for 'compact' and refer to 'walking to work', I think either of these would be a good choice. Durability when walking to work is not the issue it is when pushing your way through heavy wilderness bush.

Rain boots are not likely to be a good choice for walking to work if you mean high rubber rain boots. I would suggest a good pair of waterproof walking shoes. Whether you want something that looks more like an ordinary street shoe or more like a hiking shoe is simply personal preference. http://www.rei.com/c/mens-casual-shoes? ... mens-shoes

As always when looking at something you want to have a particular quality (waterproof), generally speaking you get what you pay for. The best waterproof products are breathable, something a rubber or plastic poncho for example is not. You can get as wet inside from condensation and sweat as you could from wearing no rainwear at all. Breathable fabrics which allow that moisture to escape, cost more. Goretex has been the best known breathable waterproof fabric since day one but now there are many kinds of equal or near equal fabrics out there with many manufacturers having their own branded name for the fabric they use.

Or for the ultimate in space and weight savings while still being 100% waterproof and 100% breathable, nothing beats human skin. Walk naked and let the sun put a little 'colour in your cheeks'. :roll:

George the original one

I'm gonna say it... breathable fabrics are not waterproof, at least not in my experience here in the coastal rainforest. All of the ones I've tried will eventually soak through.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Bumping this thread because I'm getting myself some rain gear right now. I bought a jacket from Kathmandu which is an Australian company which makes hopefully good quality stuff. It cost me $250 which is a fortune and the wife was spewing. I delayed buying it until yesterday and checked the price today and it's back up to $500.

I need to get some pants and gloves as well but I'm not 100% sure what to get. I'm not sure if some travel pants that quick dry will be enough. I think cheap waterproof gloves should be fine even if they aren't 100% waterproof.

I should add for the price of the jacket I hope that it lasts me a long freaken time.

UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

@jacob where I live it can get very windy... after going through three $10 umbrellas in a single month (one of them lasted less than 30 minutes, and I walked soaking wet back into to the store to return the twisted pile of aluminum and vinyl) I gave up and bought a $60 umbrella that was made like a tank. It's in it's second decade of service now. $100 is clearly too much, but I'd pay a bit more for quality. Nothing worse than having your umbrella flip inside-out on you.

OldPro

Post by OldPro »

George, no fabric or jacket is going to keep you dry under any and all conditions. It is more a question of which will do the best POSSIBLE job of keeping you dry for the longest period of time. I wasn't kidding though about skin. 100% waterproof and 100% breathable.

Steveo73, I sometimes use a pair of rain 'chaps' that I really like. The advantage over normal rain pants is the increased breathability since they only cover my legs and not the crotch/groin area where most of your heat and sweating occurs. They are also lighter and more compact since there is simply less of them. https://www.google.ca/search?q=rain+cha ... 93&bih=521

Here is an example with an explanatory video. http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/elite-rain-chaps Note, they do require that your jacket be long enough. A jacket that goes only to your waist will not cover the gap and will drip water onto our normal pants. Also, again it depends on what use you are putting them too. Walking to work in a drizzle, you might be fine with just a jacket and letting your normal pants get a bit wet but for an all day long walk in the forest, you can't do without some kind of rain pants/chaps.

You mention travel pants, so are you talking about what to take when you go travelling? If so, again it depends on just how you will use whatever you take. Walking 10 minutes in a drizzle on a street or walking all day etc. When asking about what to buy, it only makes sense to explain how and where you will use what you buy. I also wonder why you mention gloves? What do you envision needing waterproof gloves for? The only time I ever wear gloves it is for cold weather, not rain. Yes I wear waterproof gloves when skiing, snowshoeing or winter camping but if walking in the rain in town I don't wear gloves at all. I just let my hands get wet. Like I said, skin is 100% waterproof.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Thanks OldPro.

I really need some pants for cycling when it pelts down. Today is really nice but last week it was close to torrential rain. I'd like to be able to ride my bike in that weather because it saves me money and I enjoy it.

My idea of travel pants is pants that are water resistant or quick drying so that I can use them when it rains. As for gloves I think I will need them in the winter.

George the original one

OldPro wrote:George, no fabric or jacket is going to keep you dry under any and all conditions. It is more a question of which will do the best POSSIBLE job of keeping you dry for the longest period of time.
Why limit yourself to fabric? Rubber & plastic are waterproof.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

George the original one wrote:Why limit yourself to fabric? Rubber & plastic are waterproof.
Hence the use of PVC with wool underneath (for absorbing sweat=reverse rain?) for serious work under serious conditions. This is standard commercial gear. Also for the ghetto sailor since it's much cheaper. For anything (like when you get breaks or have a choice meaning most recreational activities) but the most extreme conditions, *tex is going to be much more comfortable.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

jacob wrote:
George the original one wrote:Why limit yourself to fabric? Rubber & plastic are waterproof.
Hence the use of PVC with wool underneath (for absorbing sweat=reverse rain?) for serious work under serious conditions. This is standard commercial gear. Also for the ghetto sailor since it's much cheaper. For anything (like when you get breaks or have a choice meaning most recreational activities) but the most extreme conditions, *tex is going to be much more comfortable.
This is the situations that I will be using my stuff. I can't see myself bothering when it is really bad.

OldPro

Post by OldPro »

George the original one wrote:
OldPro wrote:George, no fabric or jacket is going to keep you dry under any and all conditions. It is more a question of which will do the best POSSIBLE job of keeping you dry for the longest period of time.
Why limit yourself to fabric? Rubber & plastic are waterproof.
Yes and they can't let your sweat and condensation out. All you are doing is trading one problem for another problem. In MOST situations, good quality breathable rain gear will outperform plastic or rubber. In torrential rain over longer periods, your yellow rubber fisherman's gear will fare better. Which kind of weather do you spend more of your time in outdoors?

Steveo73, chaps will work well for biking to work provided your jacket covers down your back far enough. There is a reason by biking jackets have a longer back than front. But the reality is, if you bike in even light rain for an length of time, you are going to get wet. It's just a question of how wet, how quickly.

George the original one

3.5" of rain since midnight today, 2" between 3p & 4p. My Helly Hanson Voss jacket definitely kept me dry. It is probably more ventilated and comfortable than you realize. Yellow would scare the fish (as would red), so mine is navy blue.

There were a couple of steelhead in the river at the house, but they were more interested in getting upstream to do their thing, though I wonder if the tail an eagle left was one of that pair.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Almost every year around this time I get a hankering to go to Moab, UT.

I tried to bike commute this morning, but even with my contact lenses in the heavy rain combined with fog made it so hard for me to see that I would have been limited to running speeds, which would have made me miss my bus. So I headed back after a couple hundred yards. At least by the time I left in my car the fog was gone. I'll go running after work, but 45 minutes of running isn't as good as a couple hours of biking. I already ran once this week. I'll try again to bike on Friday.

George, you're lucky the steelhead weren't on the highway. I've seen some pretty funny videos of highway 101. Why did the salmon cross the highway? Because he could.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I came to conclusion to... wear the least clothes (up to social acceptability), just to be able to dry them ASAP in home... The we change our outfit (which was hidden in your backpack [which was hidden in plastic trash bag]) in workplace/your destination venue.

I need to reconsider other options, because I'm getting cold easily (even in before mentioned seasons). Hmmm. I thought my body would react volatily, then develop better immune system. This is not the case. Hmmm.

Tex-srex, this doesn't work for me (or I can't use this).