Perks of some off-beat jobs

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I never committed to a particular career path after school, so instead I've worked a handful of part-time and full-time jobs. They don't always pay well, but some lower-esteemed jobs have their own fun (and expense-reducing) benefits.
Property maintenance - I've spent a few years doing maintenance work for some of the bigger apartment complexes in town. My girlfriend was on the leasing staff most of that time. We used to get hefty rent discounts for living on-site, but we've been living rent-free since she got promoted to property manager.
Also, the dumpster diving opportunities are amazing. Whether to use personally or just to sell, I've come across a lot of quality furniture, tools, bikes, electronics, etc, that tenants don't want to lug along when they move out. My current commuter bike (approx $500 retail) was abandoned by a resident here.
Restaurant work - most restaurants will give big food discounts to employees (though it might still be cheaper to eat at home). Our pizza place gave managers free food, which was a very handy bartering tool. Well-fed towing companies were happy to help out if you needed a tow or locked yourself out. Our drivers were also really good about giving each other rides. I could go out for a few drinks with friends, then call the store and get a ride arranged within a few minutes. Much more efficient and cheaper than any taxi service in town.
Coaching sports - besides the satisfaction of building a cohesive team and helping kids improve at something I really enjoy (running), being a school employee gives me round-the-clock access to a really nice weight room, a basketball gymnasium, and our state-of-the-art track facility.
I'm curious to hear about the lesser-known perks of some of the other jobs out there...

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I forgot to mention some of the less tangible benefits of property maintenance - learning new skills. I barely knew how to change a toilet seat when I started. Since then I've learned to re-key locks, operate a swimming pool, troubleshoot appliances, repair drywall holes, etc, and have gained a lot better knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

For university employees, the perks are usually

- access to all student facilities, e.g. library, weight room, pool, ice rink, etc.

- cheaper season tickets for varsity sports, free classes
I also learned how to sit on my ass and stare at a computer screen for 16 hours a day; something that has helped me as a blogger ;-P
Maybe a general rule is that employers always seem to offer some of their product as a perk. It is thus better to work in a field where such a perk is useful. For example, a lesser useful field would be something like medical filing.

Q

Post by Q »

Owning a Tow company is also on the list here... I swear that those companies makes tons of money. My SO's brother got towed, and the police put a 30 day hold on the car..$2300 to get it out! WTH!
And they had a lot of cars...I just wonder what the police cut is...
When I worked at the bowling alley ages ago - free bowling, which was fun.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

That's interesting about the pizza delivery people giving rides!
My favorite job was my first: caddying. Payment in cash, with legal rights to not claim taxes; running outside (fat bastards rode in carts); and, free golf and access to the pool on Mondays.
My next favorite was an environmental internship for a federal superfund where I collected bugs with an entomologist and then analyzed the bugs' metal content. (Perks being outside in the Colorado mountain rivers >50% of the time that summer.)
I was a tour guide for a few years, which I think helped me learn how to speak formally better, such as teaching me to get rid of the "Ahhs . . ." and other speech crutches.
I worked in a computing group for two years, where I practiced how to build and repair PCs as well as learned how to build a system for parallel computing for the lab.
My current position as a manufacturing position allows me access to a really nice maintenance shop, along with some highly competent mechanics to learn from.

ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

When I was a student, I worked in the college library for three years and I loved it, despite the minimum wage, literally. In my current job, we have pharmaceutical representatives (drug pushers) bringing in free food about 2-3 times a week. Much of it is junk food, but occasionally some of it is worth wrapping up and taking home for dinner. Thanks, Big Pharma!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

A family member of mine used to work 3 days a week at airlines and have flight benefits.
I worked for a nonprofit environmental that gave me free house + utilities + a damn SUV & gas to drive around in... "Non-profits" are so screwed up.
Lift operators can sometimes get $500-$4k ski passes for working 2-4 days a week.
I wish I could find an enjoyable part time that would give me health insurance for part time work.

akratic

Post by akratic »

A friend of mine worked for Whole Foods and managed to feed himself and all his roommates for free by getting first dibs on all the food that was thrown out. Advanced dumpster diving if you will.

Q

Post by Q »

Should we start a list of top off beat jobs?
Like, and I laugh at myself, Fight Club where ERE people in these part time jobs help each other.
Airlines, Pizza, Taxi, Grocery, Sporting Stadium, Waiter/Restaurant Owner...

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

What about this:
This job furnishes a really nice two or three bedroom apartment (free). All utilities are paid for, and free washer and dryer.

Phone and high speed internet are also free. You are furnished a really nice office with all the office equipment including again, a great computer and high speed internet, lazer printer, phone, fax, and furnishings. On top of that, you have a monthly cash allowance to operate the office.

You have a salary also for running the office.

You have another salary for keeping the grounds mowed and trimmed.

You are paid for painting, maintenance, and cleaning.

You are your own boss on site.

You work in the office no more than 3-4 hours a day, and set your own hours. (Most PM companies do it like that).

You work on the other things listed as you need to do them, you decide when you do it. You can hire people if need be, and your PM approves it.
What is this? An on-site apartment manager, or manager team.
You would need to supply your basic furniture, clothing, food, and a vehicle.
What do you have to do?
Advertise and show the apartments. Write up the leases and rent the units. Collect the rent. Prepare the vacant apartments for rent-ready. Keep the buildings and grounds clean and lawns mowed and trimmed (if you choose to do that part, if not contract that out.) Perform, or contract the day to day maintenance needs of the units. Keep your bills and timesheets and submit them to the property management company, who supervises the property, once a month. Attend meetings and training for the management of the property.
Compensation Summary:
Rent free apartment.

Free utilities.

Free washing and drying.

Salary for office.

Salary for Grounds.

Payment for maintenance, painting, and other work as performed by you.

No cost for commuting to and from work---you live there already.

Health Insurance if offered by the company you work for at group rates. 401K if offered.

Wear suit and tie, or overalls, your choice depending on what your doing.

Hours highly flexible, excellent for students or teachers.
This my friends, is On Site Property Management.

Not a bad deal if you can work with people.
Downside: (You knew there would be one, right?)
ON CALL 24/7/365. But don't let that scare you. It isn't all that bad. Have a cell and some numbers if your out of town.

There are zillions of these out there. Some much better than others. But the above is ideal!!!

Q

Post by Q »

How about a library worker.
I'd like to say bartender, but, I am not there yet...