Early Retired: The First Month

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
George the original one

Re: Early Retired: The First Month

Post by George the original one »

It is official. I am retired and collecting pension checks. First one unexpectedly arrived yesterday. Strange that it wasn't 92 days, so I'm delighted and thoroughly confused. I wonder if I'll get another check next week, during the regular monthly cycle of payments?

It is clear that COVID-19 is going to wreak havoc with the national autocross schedule for the west coast, so I pulled the trigger on car upgrades. In surveying the class (STH: Street Touring Hatchback), it seems all the top drivers have moved on to other endeavors, other classes. Which I believe leaves me as the most talented driver remaining, provided I manage to become sympatico with Pepper (the car) after the upgrades.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Second check arrived today, Jan 2, so the pension system is fully engaged. Which means the goal of bridging the gap between age 55 (when I left employment) and age 58 (when the pension begins) was entirely successful. And that pretty much wraps up this journal.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Congrats, George! Please keep us updated on your racing adventures.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Congratulations! When I was reading your first entry above I was thinking "I thought he was already retired!" So you did manage it a year younger than me. 56 is just my minimum retirement age so it's only early compared to most federal employees I know who spend too much money to do it.