Ultimate Portable Speaker?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Ultimate Portable Speaker?

Post by TopHatFox »

I found this at a dorm in the recycling bin, it worked:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AJ7040D-3 ... 7040D%2F37

It's too big to carry around in a suitcase or back pack, though, so I sold it and I'm now looking for a crisp and powerful portable speaker, maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DKnight-Magicbo ... 51d2f31f9d

----------------------------------------

What's the best speaker in your opinion? I'm looking for something that' has these qualities, in no order of importance:

1. reasonably priced
2. provides clear, powerful sound
3. blue-tooth compatible
4. Charged by USB or even batteries
5. Can be reasonably bungee corded on my bike rack in a plastic bag, or waterproof
6. Relatively small with few to no accessory cables
7. No need for it to have radio, alarm, tell time, or other auxiliary tasks

JL13

Re: Ultimate Portable Speaker?

Post by JL13 »

I think 1. 2. and 4. are at odds with each other. Pick any two.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

If you put your cell phone in a bowl, it makes it louder. Or do want something you can bump to? I swear, it's all that rap music that's corrupting the youth of today.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Your best bet is to go read the usual consumer tech websites for the top rated gadgets and then try pick up used…

http://thewirecutter.com/ <-- is a good resource

As J_L13 put’s it but high quality, USB charged, portable speakers will not be cheap. You’re going to have to compromise on one of these.

Is there any reason why you can’t opt for headphones?

JL13

Post by JL13 »

If you shop for "studio monitors" rather than consumer grade stuff, you can usually find higher quality. There's usually a good used market as well. They are also usually sold individually, so you could use it for a portable mono setup in theory.

I don't know if I've seen any studio monitors that are rechargeable though. Even the babies are like 30W.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/06/03/best-h ... -speakers/ ... if 2 is the highest priority and 1 is the lowest.

I dunno though. To this recovering HiFi enthusiast, those concurrent requirement is a bit like asking which chainsaw cuts the best while also being stylish, able to recharge USB devices and fit in your backpack. If you want a compromise between contradictory factors, you'd have to specify.

C40

Post by C40 »

We're probably far from the best community to be asking about this. A forum dedicated to this subject would be much better. There is head-fi.org for headphones, but I don't have any familiarity of forums about speakers.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

I submit that this is an even better option. It scales, so you can add a second when you're ready for big boy stereo sound.

http://www.paradigm.com/products-curren ... e=overview

Always a secondhand market for Paradigm if you decide you're not an audiophile.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

At least from an ERE perspective, always look for the existence of a good second hand market.

In that regard, also consider Tivoli Audio.

I much prefer cables and mains over wireless and batteries. The former will work 10 years from now. The latter ... hmmm ..

FWIW ... I own a Radio One which is the only source of loudness in this house. I started looking at them in grad school and I finally bought one 10 years later. I can feed it with a standard stereo jack (line) from anything that outputs that way. The sound is very good and easily fills a room. It's not stereophile.---But pretty good.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

@jacob

Can you compare that to some other components? I recently dropped nearly $200 on Presonus Eris monitors and I'm somewhat disappointed. I might be spoiled because my only reference is $200 headphones. I think headphones have a x4 multiplier.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Of:

1. price
2. quality of sound
3. and portability/changeability via usb and cable

I think one and three are most important to me, with portability/changeability being most important. I don't need something that fits in a pocket, but I don't want it to be as wide as a laptop. About the size of the example from Amazon I gave is best.I really can't notice quality of sound past a certain point.

I want something that can fill a 10x8 room with clear sound better than a iPhone 4 in a cup can.

The $500 speakers Jacob posted shall be put on the little luxury list, along with a Zippo lighter and Surly LHT. (:
Last edited by TopHatFox on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@J_L13 - Ha! I'd say the RadioOne ($100) plays as well as any non-tuned/arranged so-called 5.1 "surround-system" that people spend $500 on at NYSE:BBY and obliviously proceed put in the corner/random places of their room. I think what you're actually paying for is the tuner though. If you're interested in HiFi, I'd look into headphones coupled with an appropriate amp. But if you just want something that can be louder than tolerable (for anyone over the age of 30) and fill a room. I think the Tivoli stuff is great. Looks good too!

Holds resale value on eBay.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Jacob, do you mean their Model 1?

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/blu ... beige.html

I found one at Goodwill surplus and bought it for about 80 cents per pound. Mine doesn't have Bluetooth like the one in the link though, mine is older.

I agree the sound is very good for a single speaker little wooden box.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes! What a score. You can flip it on eBay for about $100.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I found a Tivoli Model One today at the swap meet for $3. Sound quality and reception are incredible. I would not have known about it had it not been for this tread. Thank you!

at the bottom of one of these boxes....