Expensive BIFL type Boots

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Pronoid

Expensive BIFL type Boots

Post by Pronoid »

I've been on the fence with buying some nice boots for a long time. After some minor research, it looks like the style I like is the wolverine 1000 mile, redwing beckman, or redwing iron ranger. I only own three pairs of shoes. Flip flops, gym shoes, and nicer casual/work shoes. This boot would replace the last one since they are starting to fall apart. I would hope I could wear slacks, minor hike, winter dress, casual dress, etc with it.

With that said, is paying $300 bucks for a pair of BIFL type boots really worth it? Just a bit hard to stomach is all and kind of feels more like a splurge rather than a logical purchase. Anyone have experience with any of those styles by chance?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Expensive BIFL type Boots

Post by jacob »

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

I knew your boot journal entry would get posted as a reply :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It wouldn't be the first time.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

IIRC, C40 bought Red Wings. More info in this thread ... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1157

sky

Post by sky »

I have been wearing Red Wing Oxfords daily for about two months and am very happy with them.

However, be aware that they only have D width, don't get these if you need a wider shoe.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/prod ... 8109-08109

I paid $250 for these. At the moment I would say money well spent but ask me in 2017 and I will be able to give a longevity opinion.

It iis a luxury to have high quality shoes, for me, $250 is not too much if they last more than 2 years. I walk to work and am often in industrial locations, so I am pretty tough on shoes. The plastic sole shoes I was buying for +/- $60 were lasting about 6 months.

Ego

Post by Ego »

IwantLess wrote: With that said, is paying $300 bucks for a pair of BIFL type boots really worth it? Just a bit hard to stomach is all and kind of feels more like a splurge rather than a logical purchase. Anyone have experience with any of those styles by chance?
It is surprising how many people buy BIFL items without adopting the BIFL mentality. Consequently, these people donate the shoes to Goodwill the moment they need to be reheeled, relaced, polished or the season ends and they have to make room in their closet. Check ebay for used shoes. They are discounted heavily and you can resell them for about the same price if you find them uncomfortable.

billc

Post by billc »

Redwing Beckman
I have the Redwing Beckman (#9013). I'm happy with them. They are reasonably comfortable once broken in. I would guess this applies to all boots - but they are a little heavy for my tastes to wear as my day in-day out shoe. They certainly qualify as dressy enough for office slacks, but I think they'd be so-so for hiking. I probably wear them about 75 times per year (low mileage per wear). I suspect they will last me 15-20 years (but will show their age in scuffs!). If I put more miles on them they feel more like an 8-10 year option.

Alden
If you're into expensive dressy boots you can look into Alden. (I think that's the brand Harrison Ford wore in Indiana Jones movies). Not sure about their suitability for hiking.

Bates
If you're interested in a less dressy boot that's more suitable for outdoor type wear check out Bates Footwear.

billc

Post by billc »

disparatum

Post by disparatum »

I bought a pair of White's Boots about six months ago and have been very happy with them. I've hiked up mountains in them, gone out to restaurants, walked along the beach. http://www.whitesboots.com

I think most of the ones they have on their website are kind of ugly, but you can get them made to order and strike whatever balance you're looking for between durability and dressiness. Lasts, leathers, height of the heel, height of the boot, soles, etc can be chosen from a lot of different options. Just make sure you get the sizing right before putting in an order. I'm pretty sure the custom ones are not returnable. Hopefully they last. The cost is higher, probably around $515 so maybe not what you're looking to spend.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Also to consider, only a few wear boots all the time. A normal expendable pair of boots is designed to last 500-1000M before the *tex liner cracks, the stitches come out, the nonreplaceable sole wears down ... however, that distance is plenty for normal boot use for anyone who mostly wears shoes.

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think my next course of action is to go to a place that sells the type of boots I'm looking for and figure out my size. Then I'll try and find a lightly used pair if possible. Otherwise, new it is.