Stuff you own but wish you didn't...

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Sclass

Re: Stuff you own but wish you didn't...

Post by Sclass »

No, sorry I have paid cash for the truck. Go figure, this is ERE and “still paying for it” sets off all kinds of debt alarms around here. :lol: I’m still paying for the insurance, reg, and various stuff that breaks on a 65 truck. Even though I do my own work, I sunk $2000 of parts into it.

When I bought it I figured that I’d own it a few years and then the loss would be the “rental” fee for owning it during that time.

In the meantime I just worry about the paint peeling off and the metal rusting out.

No more surfboards. Sold them off thirty years ago. :) I have a couple of kayaks but they’re just left at the beach under a tarp. The truck has a varnished oak bed with mirror polished chrome runners separating the oak planks...as I said it’s too nice to haul anything like sandy kayaks. Useless.

I got a very low price on it however nothing is a bargain if you don’t need it. Hence the regret. My neighbors seem to like it more than I do. Wife hates it.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

sell it to the neighbors. tell them their longboards will look awesome in the back 😜

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This is where I am ejected from the forum, but I have two cars and currently do not commute to work....

(I hear tumbleweeds)

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Season lift tickets x2 to a California ski resort for winter 2019/2020, and snowboard boots. :(

Frita

Post by Frita »

We downsized a couple times before our last move to a house of approximately 1900 feet. This was a function of what was for sale. I’d prefer a smaller house (1000-1100 feet), less to care for and more efficient footprint usage.

When my dad was in high school, his house flooded and most family possessions were lost. I can see some value in starting over from scratch, really thinking about was is necessary, and not having personal momentos or family heirlooms to consider.

I wish I didn’t have a “real“ wedding and would have eloped instead. My wedding China has moved more than it’s been used. I kept my wedding dress to try on every few years just to say, “It still fits” to myself.

Our framed diplomas (and maybe some of the extra time spent on education) were also a waste. We’re never hung them up either. After a certain point, there are better ways to learn than uni. (When I interviewed for an academic advisor position there, I said as much. That was honest, just not political.)

I wish I would have kept the twins’ first shoes. Their feet were so little. My son can’t fathom how his size 11’s used to be just a couple inches long. (Note to self: I have their birth certificates with the little prints. Hopefully many other babies have worn those shoes)

The camper van? I put that on the list due to the COVID situation.

My value/trait of unselective perseverance has outserved its purposefulness. It has enabled me to do things that don’t suit and wallow in sunk costs.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

My house. I had to move twice for work early in my career which led to extra costs. I would have moved twice when my children started and finished secondary school but didn't because of the costs. The only reason I don't rent is because of the dysfunctional property market in the UK.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Nomad wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:49 pm
This is where I am ejected from the forum, but I have two cars and currently do not commute to work....

(I hear tumbleweeds)
Fear not. I have five cars and a motorcycle and I don’t work. Two drivers in the household.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

Sclass wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:37 am
Fear not. I have five cars and a motorcycle and I don’t work. Two drivers in the household.
And I thought I was being extravagant owning two bikes :)

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:31 am
And I thought I was being extravagant owning two bikes :)
Twobike Tony is what they call you behind your back.
#ostentatious

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Nomad wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04 am
#ostentatious
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocky_London

Post by Rocky_London »

My steel shed.
It was from Germany. I am 1/16th German, but we usually don't mention that branch of the family because of its Gestapo links, unless it is to impress upon people the lengths to which one might go in exerting one's will. I like to imagine the Germans have a national character that typifies precision, rigour and engineering excellence. Ha! It was very difficult to fit together. I had to resort to youtube where even trained engineers were pulling their hair out. And it was not as tall as expected. I'm only 5' 8 (173cm) but I bang my head on the top of the door entrance almost every time. This is bad Feng Shui. I could have built something much better and cheaper, from a wooden frame and polycarbonate panels. And the base did not have to be all concrete, just the footings.

Rocky_London

Post by Rocky_London »

Nomad wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04 am
#ostentatious
Reminds me of a Monty Python sketch, "Two Sheds Jackson"