Alastair Humphreys Adventurer: Microadventures

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Alastair Humphreys Adventurer: Microadventures

Post by TopHatFox »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiN6ZU0KFlc

Alastair Humphreys, the guy who cycled the world for four years on less than £7,000, walked across India and the Empty Quarter Desert, rowed across the Atlantic Ocean, canoed through the Yukon, and much more. The kicker: when he first pedaled away from his home in Europe he was 24 with minimal outdoor experience.

It's truly incredible and inspiring what can be done with a tolerance for uncertainty, willingness to break societal expectations, and courage over fear.

----------------------

Since I've chosen the FI bit before the long expeditions, how do microadventures work? I think these are probably much much harder to pull off rather than a long expedition. The things I hate the most about adventures is having to first get all the equipment prepped and out, then haul it back in after one day. I think it'd be much easier to, for example, tie the canoe (with a cover) to a tree and sleep in it--then wake up the next day and keep paddling.

Matty

Re: Alastair Humphreys Adventurer: Microadventures

Post by Matty »

I’m a big fan of Alastair Humphreys!

I’ve done about a half dozen Microadventures over the past year! It’s hard to convince friends to join me any more frequently than that. At this stage I’ve only ever done them on a Friday night straight from work. I will have all my gear packed into a small backpack under my desk and meet up with friends in the city and catch a bus to somewhere in the hills close by (around 45 mins).

You don’t need a lot of gear for one night. I try to keep it all together in my cupboard ready to go. A bivvy bag is amazing compared to a tent if the weather is fine/bugs aren’t too bad – just lay it out/roll it up and you are done!

The hardest thing for me has been finding adventure buddies who are keen for mid-week trips!

jennypenny

Re: Alastair Humphreys Adventurer: Microadventures

Post by jennypenny »

Earlier thread for more ideas: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4357&p=75849