Any Portlanders Out There

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
DividendGuy

Any Portlanders Out There

Post by DividendGuy »

Portlanders? Portlandites? Portlandians?

Not sure what to call you guys! :)

Anyway, I've been thinking of where to go next after I'm tired of living here in SW Florida (approaching that point now) and I've been strongly considering Portland. I haven't been there, so basing all my research/theories/ideas on what I've run across online. But it seems to be an absolutely beautiful city from what I can see. And considering the density/urban/walkable nature of the city, the COL seems relatively reasonable (relative to other PNW cities like Vancouver/Seattle and other dense cities like D.C., Boston, NYC, San Fran). That said, it's quite a bit more expensive from where I'm coming. In addition the weather and state income taxes are a real bummer.

Anyone have a formed opinion on Portland from personal experience? Is the weather and state income taxes worth the vibe?

I may just end up staying here in FL as I find the COL/weather/taxes favorable. But I'd also be interested in trying something new in a few years.

Thanks!

C40

Re: Any Portlanders Out There

Post by C40 »

I went there for 5 days near the end of last summer. So this is based on a limited time there.

- The weather was perfect. It felt like California. My friends who live there said it's like that all summer. So you can expect at least 3-4 months of beautiful weather each year. Of course, the rest of the year is pretty cloudy, rainy, dreary. But it at least doesn't get very cold. No snow.
- The city is unique. A good number of people there fit in the hippy/bohemian/dirtbag category. Certainly not everyone or anywhere near. There's just more than normal. This could be annoying for some. It could also be a benefit. These hipsters don't spend much money, so they end up with cheap hobbies. People there are also less likely to have a traditional job. These in combination mean there are more potential friends who will be interested in free or cheap activities during the day when most of America are sitting in their cubicles.
- People are horrible drivers there. I guess this isn't really relevant, but a LOT of people drive at night without their lights on. (like 5% of all drivers) It's really, really strange.
- There are really nice forests, lakes, and mountains nearby.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"Look, here's a native now!"

If you're concerned about weather, then visit in November or February/March before committing. That should get you a taste of the ugly.

Oregon state income taxes are not as bad as you think. Use one of the online calculators to make an estimate. If you're really concerned about it, live in Washington state, where there is no income tax (for now).

For myself, Portland is no longer the Portland I grew up in. The good is good, the bad is not. This is a relative argument, of course, as I find most other cities to be worse than Portland. I prefer less urban experiences.

George the original one

So what is it that you're looking for? What are you trying to avoid?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@C40,

You visited at the ultimate time. I hear the summer is about as "perfect" as it gets for most people. The other nine months per year are what I'm worried about. Similar sunlight levels to what I remember experiencing in Michigan, which is to say little in the wintertime. But the milder temps might make up for a lot of that, as the snow bothered me probably just as much as the lack of light. Thanks for the insight there. That "weird" culture is actually one of the things I love most about the area. I'm sure a lot of us on the forum can kind of appreciate that, and I'm certainly no 9-5 cubicle slave... which, as you say, makes it possibly easier to run into like-minded folk out there.

@GTOO,

I hear you on the state income taxes. It's not as bad as advertised after deducting the federal liability, but it's still a lot higher than the 0% we get down here or the 4.35% I experienced up in MI. And those that point out the lack of sales tax must be bad at math. Furthermore, we don't get taxed on groceries down here in FL, which is one of the biggest expenses that those of us living frugally will probably face that could be taxed.

But as far as what I'm looking for, I want a dense, urban, walkable city with mild weather, a progressive culture where people are open-minded, great public transportation, something kind of "different" or "weird", a city low in crime, plenty of activities both free and not (museums, library, sports, outdoors) slight seasonal change (more than we get here, but not like what you get in North Dakota), diverse and cheap eats (like the food trucks they have there), a "pretty" city (subjective), and a not-outrageous COL. I'd love to live in a place like maybe Boston or San Fran, but the weather/COL just isn't even close for me.

The best option for this I really have in FL is Miami Beach. I've been pretty much all over the state and that seems to be about it. Not really ideal, though.

George the original one

Portland characteristics
Modest density (not NYC or Chicago)
Relaxed urban
Walkable, bikeable, public transit
Progressive
"Keep Portland Weird" bumperstickers
Crime is lowish, see http://portlandmaps.com/detail.cfm?acti ... 0&y=680000 and click on Crime link in upper right.
Activities, check!
All four seasons, though snow hardly happens in town anymore.
Food: Northwest cuisine (hazelnuts, salmon, shellfish, venison, beef, squash, European vegetables, fresh berries & fruits of all kinds, juniper berries = gin, microbrews, local cheese), Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Philippines, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistan, Middle-eastern (generic), Ethiopian, Morrocan, Turkish, Mediterranian (generic), French, German, Polish, Nordic, Mexican, Argentinian, Brazilian, Carribean, New Orleans, Southern, Philidelphia, Boston, Chicago, Vegetarian, Vegan, creative blends of everything (Hot Lips Pizza has a waldorf pizza), and the usual chain restaurants.

Climate comparison of Portland, Astoria, Detroit, & Miami: http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/index.p ... BFORID%3A9

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@GTOO,

Thanks for the information there. Sounds pretty kosher with what I've read about the city. I've gotta check it out sometime for myself, preferably in the winter to see what it's like.

I especially like the urban planning regarding the small city blocks and narrow streets. Don't know if I've ever seen any other cities that look like Portland in pictures. Looks very Northern European in a lot of respects.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Just watch the show Portlandia. I'm sure it's accurate.

I like Portland if somebody else drives, or if I bike to Dallas (stash my bike there), catch a bus to Salem, catch another to Wilsonville, then I'm on the MAX train!