Crossing a picket line?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I have a job interview scheduled at a grocery store tomorrow. I would be crossing a picket line. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
What are your opinions on crossing picket lines, either to replace workers or buy from the business?

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I don't mind crossing them at all. If the employees don't want to work there, that's fine, but don't expect me to not shop there merely because some contract wasn't approved.
You can probably tell that I'm not a huge fan of unions. If someone doesn't like the pay or conditions, then they shouldn't work there. Period.
If the employee feels they *have* to work there, either due to financial necessity or due to a lack of ready employment elsewhere, then this should serve as a wake-up call to them. They should either expand their skills/education or increase their savings.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

I wouldn't do it. Think about it. If the company is treating its employees bad enough that they are willing to risk their paying jobs, in this economy, and stand out in the cold in the middle of November all day long, for no money, so that the world knows about it, how great a job could it be?
Unions form because employers treat their employees like dirt. Not every company needs one because most people have the decency to treat their employees with respect. But if your company has a union, it's because you deserve it.
I'm all for collective bargaining. It makes jobs safer, better paying, and allows employees to uphold standards rather than rush through things so their supervisor can meet his weekly quota.
Sure, you could just quit and hope you find another job that can utilize your skills, but why not band together and make life better for thousands of workers instead who don't have that option? By crossing the line you are undermining that goal, and for what? - A job that sucks so bad people are willing to walk out on it en masse.

RightClawSouth

Post by RightClawSouth »

I would cross a union line in a heart beat. Unless I thought there was a risk of violence from union thugs.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it." --Mitch Hedberg
If you think it's a fair wage go for it. If you think it's the right fight, join in. Or, seek other uses for your time.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

The right to collective bargaining is the only reasonable means for workers to negotiate. Whether the picket line dispute seems reasonable or not should be the basis for crossing the picket line. Employers who do not provide safe working conditions or reasonable benefits occasionally need those deficiencies pointed out to them.
During the '70s, most unions were barking up the wrong tree, but in the past 20 years, I feel that the balance has swung the other way and there are often now grounds for strikes.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

In the case of the job interview, I would decline it and respect the current workforce. If the employer is not providing reasonable pay, working conditions, or benefits without being forced to do so, I would not want to work there myself. Also, even if the strike or picket were ended, I would prefer not to become involved in an employment situation where I alone were not responsible for my relationship with my employer. I would also not want an employer who I considered to be my adversary.
"If it were not for unions:" (put this statement in front of each line below)
We would all be working for .50 an hour.

We would have few if any benefits.

We would be working in uncomfortable situations.

We would be working in unsafe conditions.

Cars and Trucks would be much cheaper.

Clothing and other goods would still be made in the USA.

The Industrial Age would have stagnated.

Barriers to employment would be lessened.
You see from this unions have both good and bad points. Some unions in history have brought fairness, some have brought unreasonable demands upon both employers and employees.
If you can do otherwise, avoid becoming a part of them.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

"If the employer is not providing reasonable pay, working conditions, or benefits "
I'm not looking for a position with reasonable pay, working conditions, or benefits. I'm in high school, so I have no expenses or dignity (lol- joke, but no seriously). My father's employer provides (free) health insurance.
But I guess it doesn't matter because the matter was resolved and my interview canceled (I found out once I got there >:( ).

SF

Post by SF »

Schumpeter's creative destruction. Most business people are all for it, until they are negatively impacted themselves (aka the 2008 bailouts). Schumpeter might say that the unions are artificially holding up salaries at that grocery store, making the cost of lamb chops higher than at Walmart. You can sell your time for less pay, letting the store be more competitive.
It could also be that the unions in this case are a countervailing power that grew organically. There could be a history there; that history may or may not remain appropriate today. It's complicated.
You're a pawn in this. If you are from the area, you'll have to trade off the pay vs your ties to the community. And either way, you'll have to decide if you should sell your time for less than the guys on strike.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I don't think it's as black and white as some people see it (I know people who would categorically never cross the picket line because of family ties, etc.) I agree that you should find out what the dispute is and see if it seems valid to you. At that point, it's a personal ethical decision... I wouldn't fault you either way as long as it was an educated decision.
I think unions were definitely needed at the time they arose. But they are also occasionally as abusive as those companies which they were formed to challenge. I also know I don't know enough about the subject to say any more :-P

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I don't think there is a blanket answer that covers all circumstances. A labor union is an institution created for a group of people to represent their interests collectively. IMO the institution of labor unions is just as valid as the institutions of governments, corporations, and class action lawsuits. Just like those other institutions there are cases where they're absolutely essential and cases where they cause more harm than good. There are bad apples but they don't justify dismantling the whole institution. It really depends on the specific circumstances and individuals involved.
To answer the OP's question, I'd need to know more about what was happening to make an informed decision. I prefer to work with businesses that operate in a long-term sustainable way, and labor unrest is often a sign of unsustainable practices. But not always.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I crossed in college (also a supermarket) because I needed the money for school and the store manager was my neighbor. I think unions have largely outgrown their usefulness.