Most environmentally friendly tool to floss teeth with?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Most environmentally friendly tool to floss teeth with?

Post by TopHatFox »

Looking for a small and manual flossing tool that I can just clean and use instead of use and discard.

Do you floss your teeth? What's your chosen tool or method? Just curious since I have to go to the dentist and the topic of littered plastic flossing handles came up between my orthodontist and I. I thought maybe a metal or wooden floss holder with replaceable, biodegradable, & unflavored floss would work. Unfortunately, all I can find on eBay is silly plastic holders or wooden toothpicks...complete with minty floss or flavor... ;)

Maybe I can make my own...A Handmade Life would encourage that course of action.

theanimal

Re: Most environmentally friendly tool to floss teeth with?

Post by theanimal »

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

It isn't small, manual, or environmentally friendly but I really like the waterpik. I don't like flossing so I never did it but I don't mind using the waterpik.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

This blog post goes over a few options:

http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/04/pl ... not-quite/

This is probably the most environmentally friendly by virtue of being reusable:

http://www.amazon.com/Dental-Scraper-Re ... 00FC5Z0T4/

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

BeyondtheWrap wrote:This blog post goes over a few options:

http://myplasticfreelife.com/2010/04/pl ... not-quite/

This is probably the most environmentally friendly by virtue of being reusable:

Wow! I never thought of scraping plaque out myself with that set you poseted! That'd save me the price of dental cleaning and teach me how to do more things myself! Thanks!

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Zalo wrote:
BeyondtheWrap wrote:This is probably the most environmentally friendly by virtue of being reusable:

Wow! I never thought of scraping plaque out myself with that set you poseted! That'd save me the price of dental cleaning and teach me how to do more things myself! Thanks!
No problem. However, I've never used it myself, so you may want to seek out reviews from others before you buy anything.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Don't go nuts with the scraper. You can actually damage your teeth.

WillS

Post by WillS »

I've actually given this some thought. I still floss, but I've reduced the amount of plastic I throw out (and money spent) dramatically. What I do is cut a shorter piece, tie a finger loop on each end, rather than using a long piece and twisting it around my fingers. Next, I rinse it off and reuse it a few times. I find if I floss regularly, my teeth don't get so close that they cut the floss, so the floss lasts a while. Finally, I make a point to buy floss in larger spools, so that there is less associated packaging. Overall, this doesn't eliminate the problem, but can reduce it by maybe 90%, which is not bad. I don't consider it a major expense, but I really hate plastic garbage. Also, experiment with different types of floss; they vary widely in durability.

WillS

Post by WillS »

I still think there must be a better way. Anybody tried fish line (more durable), or plant fiber (more compostable)?

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

jacob wrote:Don't go nuts with the scraper. You can actually damage your teeth.
Seriously, that looks like something 'for professional use only.'

Typical floss is not packaged well, it's true. POH floss comes in metal containers, I think?

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Floss. Even used daily, it won't fill up landfills. Just don't use the little plastic handles with a disposable piece of floss. Be a "Renaissance flosser" and become skilled at simply using a piece of floss.

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

Is this one of those american things? I have to admit I've never flossed in my life. I brush my teeth every evening and when I want to get a particularly resilient piece popcorn kernel out. There's no trouble with my teeth so far (as confirmed by my dentist).

(I'm German and 27, by the way)

Ego

Post by Ego »

RealPerson wrote:Floss. Even used daily, it won't fill up landfills. Just don't use the little plastic handles with a disposable piece of floss. Be a "Renaissance flosser" and become skilled at simply using a piece of floss.
Funny, I've been using the Reach Flosser. I even brought it with us while we travel.

I have to admit, it is everything I hate in a product. But I actually use it morning and night, and after most meals. I just never did that when I used regular floss.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

SilverElephant wrote:Is this one of those american things? I have to admit I've never flossed in my life. I brush my teeth every evening and when I want to get a particularly resilient piece popcorn kernel out. There's no trouble with my teeth so far (as confirmed by my dentist).

(I'm German and 27, by the way)
It may be an American thing, but it is an essential part of preventing dental disease. Assuming your dentist is even diagnosing periodontal disease, at age 27 you are too young for it to show up. Not flossing is essentially the same as not brushing. Brushing cleans the front, top and back surface of teeth. Flossing cleans both sides. The side areas is where most dental disease occurs.

It is amazing how a cheap piece of string, used daily in a proper manner, can prevent many thousands of dollars of dental work. You won't get that ROI in the stock market.

I have noticed that floss is often not readily available in many countries. Not a good sign. Flossing is one of the simplest and most important things you can do to keep your body healthy so that you won't need expensive health care as you get older. The other is avoiding refined sugars. Refined sugar consumption is directly related the caries incidence.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

A pick needs to be pliable yet strong and resistant to decay. Does anything, other than plastic, meet those requirements?

I use these and I use them until the floss breaks, A 75 pack lasts me 1-2 years and I find them 5 x times easier and more effective than string floss:
http://http://www.amazon.com/Plackers-T ... B004RSXOCW

I literally cringed when I saw the professional dental picks, I would never attempt to use those on myself.

Paula

Post by Paula »

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

In Africa and South America, the indigenous people who still live a Stone Age existence use a hardy twig to scrape their teeth; it’s cheap and 100% biodegradable.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

https://www.sowash.it/shop/sowash-family.html

Has anybody spotted aliexpress clone?

Jean

Post by Jean »

JohnnyH wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:38 am
A pick needs to be pliable yet strong and resistant to decay. Does anything, other than plastic, meet those requirements?
I usually reap one of my nail when i need a pick. It's the perfect size an stiffness. I never run out of nail. It's free and has no excessive ecological impact.

Tooth pick in swiss army knives are good as well.

Alifelongme

Post by Alifelongme »

Cotton thread should do the job.