Sleeping on Floor?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Eureka

Re: Sleeping on Floor?

Post by Eureka »

BlackRat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 pm
I have been wondering if sleeping on a totally flat surface is unnatural - would people have traditionally sought out particular hollows in the ground to make themselves more comfortable (for example, for the corner of the hip)?
No, if you don't weaken your body with orthotics like mattresses and pillows night after night for decades, sleeping on hard surfaces is natural for a human body. And is very comfortable.

I have done a lot of yoga over the years and my joints and tissues readily adapted to sleeping directly on a wooden floor (on a wool blanket in winter for warmth) once I made up my mind to explore how that would be - and after a short while it felt much better than sleeping on a mattress, even a thin one, so now I do it all the time.

Or to quote my inspiration Katy Bowman:
The joint-alterations required for ground-sleeping are natural and they’re currently under used. Your muscles are simply out of (sleep) shape.
We tend to think of human movement only in terms of exercising, but every movement or position you get yourself into is fed into your body’s “adapt to this” file. Your tissues respond to environment whether the environment is “sleeping on this mattress” or “running 17 miles.” The process is exactly the same. The reason NOT sleeping on your pillow or mattress hurts is the same reason running 4 miles beyond your regular running distance hurts. You’re just exceeding the boundaries of your tissue strength and created a load greater than what you body is used to.
Blog post where I got the quotes is here
https://nutritiousmovement.com/your-pil ... -orthotic/