Ebola and fragility

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: Ebola and fragility

Post by Ego »

@jacob. Good point. I hadn't thought of global warming as the opposite example. I'd like to be told that the sky is falling when it is actually falling.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@jacob.

Your link isn't to the work of military planners. It's a report from a bunch of leftist political hacks.
Kurt M. Campbell is CEO and co-founder of the Center for a New American Security and former
deputy assistant secretary of defense for Asia and the Pacific.
Leon Fuerth is a research professor of international affairs at The George Washington University,
and former national security advisor to Vice President Al Gore.
Jay Gulledge, Ph.D., is the senior scientist and program manager for science and impacts at the
Pew Center on Global Climate Change.
Alexander T. J. Lennon is the editor-in-chief of CSIS’s flagship journal, The Washington Quarterly.
J.R. McNeill is a professor of history at Georgetown University.
Derek Mix is a research associate in the CSIS Europe Program.
Peter Ogden is senior national security analyst at the Center for American Progress.
John Podesta is president and CEO of the Center for American Progress and former chief of staff
for President Bill Clinton.
Julianne Smith is the director of the CSIS Europe Program and the Initiative for a Renewed
Transatlantic Partnership.
Richard Weitz is a senior fellow and director of program management at Hudson Institute.
R. James Woolsey is a vice president for Booz Allen Hamilton and former director of the CIA.
Every single author is linked to either a progressive think tank, or a former polical appointee. (I admit to guessing with the professors, but there is clear selection bias here)

That doesn't make what they say untrue, but I see no evidence of military planning, or objectivity here. This is speculative fiction with an agenda.

Of course, I live in the PNW, am middle aged, without children, with a certain amount of prep, so I can absorb more effects than most without too much of a hiccup. That may have some influence on my sense of confidence...

Ego

Post by Ego »

An interesting take on why we get so much hype of viruses and pathogens in the media.

https://aeon.co/essays/how-disgust-made ... ilisations

People who are reminded of the threat of infectious disease are more inclined to espouse conventional values and express greater disdain for anyone who violates societal norms.

When we’re worried about disease, it appears, we’re drawn not just to Mama’s cooking but also to her beliefs about the proper way to conduct ourselves – especially in the social arena. We place our faith in time-honoured practices probably because they seem like a safer bet when our survival is in jeopardy. Now’s not the time to be embracing a new, untested philosophy of life, whispers a voice in the back of your mind.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/06 ... ebola.html

Hint: When you declare the Ebola outbreak "now over" four different times in one year... it probably isn't.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

New Ebola outbreak in DRC is 'truly frightening', says Wellcome Trust director

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48615667

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

**Not sure if this is the proper discussions to revive with this subject.**

Pretty weird to read this old discussion about Ebola fear after we met and learnt to know Covid.

Now, what about a magnetic pole inversion possibly coming our ways ? Are we all fucked anyways ?