In praise of ... Tinned Fish

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Noedig

In praise of ... Tinned Fish

Post by Noedig »

Last night I worked lateish and then stumbled home, knackered. The house was chilly. Wife and kids out. Plonked myself down, starving, and sawed myself a slice of half-stale bread. Then had an inspiration: the remaining small slice of hard cheese. A few olives - those wrinkled dark ones. A small bottle of beer - in a green flint glass small stubby bottle [very inexpensive hereabouts, as low in alcohol (2.6%) in comparison with most other beer], fresh and crisp and cold from the fridge. And finally a can of sardines in olive oil with Chili and lemon. Oh, it was wonderful.

It also seems that I have caught the zeitgeist: Check out this brand new London eaterie:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... inned-fish

I think I will stick with my 35 pence version http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =271184096. It was simply delicious and I am still thrilling to the savoury reminiscence now.
Last edited by Noedig on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Re: In praise of ... Tinned Fish

Post by Dragline »

Glad I'm not the only sardine fan. Cheers!

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

I'm a fan of tinned smoked mussels.

retiredat47

Post by retiredat47 »

I've never had sardines, but my dad loved them until he had a gout attack from eating them.

:shock:

walker

Post by walker »

Really sorry to hear about the gout attack… but +1 on tinned fish in general. Gotta love Trader Joe's canned salmon, tuna, and smoked trout. Mix a few cans with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and some basil from the windowsill garden and it makes a great, fast, paleo-friendly meal.

And the Tincan Restaurant is hilarious. What won't people buy if it's marked "artisan"??

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I'm a canned fish lover, too. If you like pasta, try whipping up pasta con sarde. Pasta, whatever veggies you have on hand, canned sardines, fennel if you have it. Lots of different recipes online. Traditional topping is buttery breadcrumbs. Really quick and easy comfort food out of the pantry.

Ryannis

Post by Ryannis »

Love my tinned fish. :)

anomie

Post by anomie »

greatly enjoyed reading your narrative, Noedig.

Thanks for sharing!