Perfect day?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

What would your perfect day look like, from beginning to end? Where would you live? Who would you share it with? What would you do?

ktn

Post by ktn »

I assume you mean just one day: on a deserted, pleasantly warm, sunny island far away from civilization. Sandy beach, palm trees all around, no wild animals that could kill/maim. I have a pile of books I have long wanted to read, sufficient food and water, a tent/hut, and the assurance of transportation back. LOL
I'd like my SO with me. I'd just lay in a hammock all day reading, snoozing and watching the waves. Maybe take a walk or two around the island in the evening.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I would live right where I do at present. The sun would be shinning and temp about 75F. I would rise at 0700. Two cups coffee sitting on back deck watching the deer eat corn I have placed there. About 0830 wife and I fix up bacon, eggs, hash browns toast and jam or honey. After breakfast head off to shop to work on one of several projects, or work in garden. Lunch about 1400 hours. Possible nap or news watching after lunch. In afternoon, read daily mail, jump on ERE forum, or take care of whatever is on the desk. Go for long walk with wife. Watch sun setting around 1830 from front porch. Later on making a steak or chop on grill and popping a Killian's Irish Red or two, or a nice red wine. After shower and putting on sweats, some XBOX or more newsreading on the comp.

EDIT: Come next Tuesday night, it will be gathering popcorn and snacks and drinks to watch the "Great Housecleaning" on election night.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi AlexOliver,

funny enough, I just realized how a perfect day look like to me two weeks ago, while running at dusk almost-barefoot on a golf course :)
For me the perfect day has:

- something for your body (sport/activity)

- something for your mind (learn, read)

- something for your soul (meditate, connect)

- something for the World (every little think counts)
If I can combine these things in a single day, to me is just perfect.
Ciao

D

djc

Post by djc »

A perfect day for me would be getting up to a breakfast of bacon, eggs, rye toast, homefries and tea. After breakfast I'd go cross country skiing for for 6-8 miles through my favorite pine and beech forest. I'd like the tempeature to be around 20 degrees with partly sun/partly clouds. I'd then come home and have lunch with my wife (of 31 years) and decompress. Evening would consist of a light supper of possibly homemade soup and homemade bread. I finish up the day with a good book and great conversation with my wife.
To make it a really special day a blizzard would start in the evening----I love snow and inclement weather.
djc
PS (I'm glad I live in the snowbelt).

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

djc reminded me of another lovely enjoyment I had after retirement to the apartment business. My office was on a fairly busy US highway. I could sit at the desk and observe the vehicles flying by each day. On especially bleak, rainy or snowy days I would get up a bit early (about 0630) and watch the rush to work over ice, snow, and other less than pleasant road conditions. I would sip my coffee, and sink back in the big warm office chair and watch the road race to work. Many of these "on their way to work" people would be driving as much as 40 miles each way to and from work. I could see the lazy ones who did not garage their ride, or take the time to scrape the ice off them. I tried to imagine them peering through the little melted windshield holes to try and keep it between the ditches. I could see the ones "driving too fast for conditions" and that would be on the tickets they could get if a cop pulled them over. I would wonder if some of them would get from their boss "If you can't make it in today, we will get someone who can!". I would see those whose eyes would show me they would rather saw off their leg than drive on the ice or snow. I could sit in my office and see the ice forming on the steel railings outside. The temperature dropping as the day went on. If they made it in to work, they would be horrified all day thinking the temps would give them a willy ride home that evening. I would listen to the radio for school closings and be glad I was not a Superintendent having to be responsible for making that decision. How many snow days are built into the calendar? Can we afford to cancel classes prior to noon? How long into June will we have to go and make it up? I would pour another steaming cup of coffee. My office was open but no worries anyone will darken my door this icy day!!!

Yes I felt a little guilty doing this----NAAAAAAAAAAAA LOL

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Wake without an alarm clock, make some iced coffee. Take my dog for a walk. When wife & kids wake up make eggs, bacon and hash browns for breakfast, chocolate milk to wash it down. After playing with the kids for a bit, go out to the garage and work on my latest piece of furniture, which has now become the main source of my family's income.
Eat lunch, catch up on the interwebs and maybe take a nap or a walk with the family depending on my energy level. After that, work a little more in the shop.
About 4-5 pm come in and make dinner - ribs sound good. Pop open a Sam Adams or Newcastle and enjoy the sizzle and smoke from the grill.
After dinner, read or play with the wife/kids some more. After they go to bed, spend some adult time watching a movie, reading or talking with the wife.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Pop open a Sam Adams or Newcastle ---------------
Now here is someone who knows GOOD BEER!!!!!!!

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Thanks H, back at you! One of my favorite moments from college was a party we crashed - the host ended up having a Killian's Red keg. It was glorious when you're used to week after week of Bud Light or Natural Light.