Ultimate Pants?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Pronoid

Re: Ultimate Pants?

Post by Pronoid »

m741 wrote:I don't know whether Darn Tough is better made than Smart Wool, since I don't own Smart Wool socks. But I've torn through the toes of Darn Tough socks after about a year of wear. Will be mailing them in soon.
Try trimming the toenails? ;)

C40

Post by C40 »

m741 wrote:I don't know whether Darn Tough is better made than Smart Wool, since I don't own Smart Wool socks. But I've torn through the toes of Darn Tough socks after about a year of wear. Will be mailing them in soon.
I have a couple pairs of Darn Toughs and I'm disappointed with mine as well. They get stretched out and then are too loose, and also they get to feeling greasy/wet (when normal cotton socks would not)

MSfreeinHou

Post by MSfreeinHou »

None for us ladies, though.

susswein

Post by susswein »

I have a number of pairs of sft shell pants made from schoeller (or schoeller-like) material that have lasted me over a decade. Probably close to 1000 days of wear, including lots of canyoneering, climbing, skiing, and multi-month backpacking trips. While some are now more suitable for the campground than the office I've yet to "wear out" a single pair.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Has anyone ordered the Bluffworks pants unfinished and hemmed them themselves? DH needs a 38" length. I can do blind hems, but sometimes it's harder on wrinkle-free material.

@MSfreeinHou--I'm thinking of ordering a pair if I like DH's. Do they have to be "ladies" if they're the right waist and inseam? I'm built kind of boyish on the bottom, so I think they might work.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I highly suspect that duration depends mostly on how often clothes is subjected to the washing machine. I've have wool dress pants that lasted for years---mainly because wool doesn't need frequent washing machine punishment. Conversely, cotton or tech materials that we're worn regularly in rotation (I usually have two pairs of *main* pants) tend to last 2 years. Therefore one pair of pants that are worn all the time and washed accordingly will last exactly 1 year after being washed 50-some times.

Shorts last much longer!! I like 5.11 shorts.

Activity wears as well. If I do a lot of office work sitting on my ass all day, the first thing to give out is the area around the rear pockets. If I do physical things, the knees give out first. Military fatigues are reinforced in both those areas (and they're $20+... so army surplus just might supply "the ultimate pant").

As it is, I've found that either khakis or levis 501s fit me and my limited wardrobe best in the sense of creating the largest number of outfits applicable to a wide variety of situations.

Currently, I'm "winning" $40 slightly used filson khakis on ebay. These are $100+ pants new. I would never pay the new price. I think the ROI is way beyond shot paying new price, but buying "used", they're kinda nice.

As with most pants, the fit seems to depend on how "athletic" you currently are. For example, Levis 501 aren't cut for people who do a lot of legwork in term of ass/waist ratio.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The problem with jeans and cotton khakis is that they're hard to wash in the sink or shower when traveling. Those Bluffworks pants look like they'd pass as dress pants but would be easy to wash in the shower and would drip dry by the morning.

Of course, if you're allergic to traveling it's not an issue. ;)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

And if you don't mind drying them while wearing them, it isn't an issue either ;-P

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Walking around in wet pants might explain the dating issues you mentioned in the other thread. :P

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Hey, I have no dating issues! ;-P

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Jacob, have you tried the 5.11 pants?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Does anyone have any other pants recommendations? I'll need 1 or 2 pairs of khaki pants for my new job. Definitely technical and durable (preferably able to last two years of use). Would it be worth it to just get a pair of the Bluff Works pants? The $100 throws me off a bit. Any other similar, good options for less?

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Dickies work pants are cheap and durable. I get 2+ years out of them despite bicycle commuting.
http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/me ... 3696502468

The operant principle is using gear designed for blue-collar work, in a white-collar office environment. It's overbuilt so it lasts a long time.

The downside is that they may read as blue-collar. Maybe that's not an issue. IMO, if you cover the label and belt loops with an un-tucked oxford shirt, you can pass for office casual. If your dress code demands tucked shirts and cotton chinos then obviously these won't work.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I appreciate the suggestion.

Though, I'm looking for something more technical like the Bluff Works pants. I.E. something that is quick drying and is water resistant. One of the uses will be guiding river floats. I may as well just pick up the Bluff Works.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@theanimal--I ordered two pair of Bluffworks for my DH. He hasn't worn them yet, but if you wait a couple of weeks, I'll post a review. I have to hem them before he can wear them.

Two things I'm not sure I like--the zipper on both pants (navy and charcoal) is brown. I want to see if it peeks out when my husband wears the pants. I wouldn't like that. The other thing is that I think the button is cheap looking, especially for $100 pants. It has the Bluffworks logo, so if logos are your thing, then you might like it. I might replace the buttons. Otherwise, I like the material. The navy is solid, but the charcoal has a slight grain in it.

This is what I mean ...

I've heard the Eddie Bauer Travex aren't bad, but they don't come long enough for my DH, so he hasn't tried them.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/horiz ... &color=707

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

I've still been rocking the 2 pairs of bluffworks pants for about six months now with no issues. They are the only pants I own so I wear them quite a bit for both work and active play. They still look like the day I bought them. I have the charcoal and gray which also have the brown zipper JP was talking about. I honestly had to just look down and check since I never noticed it. They never peak out for me. I still have nothing but good things to say about the pants. The logo buttons have been scuffed up a bit from wearing a belt so it isn't really noticiby anymore. But I always wear a belt so you can't see it anyways. Now that it's ridiculously cold outside, I just have to wear some merino wool long undies under them and they still work fine for the winter with the current -12F windchill. I am curious to see how they would hold up walking through bushes and such.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Thanks JP and IwantLess

Those Eddie Bauer pants don't look bad either, I wonder how they compare to the Bluff Works. I'll hold off until that review, I'm in no rush.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

theanimal wrote:Those Eddie Bauer pants don't look bad either, I wonder how they compare to the Bluff Works.
The Bluffworks don't stretch. The EB do.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Review time ... DH likes the pants. I gave up trying to hem them, and used a seamstress. The edge was raw and really needed to be serged and I don't own a serger. The pants wash well and drip dry quickly. DH insists on washing them after two wears so I'm concerned that they'll wear out. We'll see. Bluffworks says they don't need ironing. I think they do. The pants are wrinkle-free for the most part, but they also have memory. If you sit for long periods of time, you'll get creases behind the knees and in the crotch that won't wash out. It doesn't take much to iron them out, but I couldn't get the creases out without a warm iron (not even steaming them). The pants are on the thin side. He said he doesn't feel under-dressed but it's cold walking to work. I'm going to buy him knee-length boxer briefs to wear under the pants. Under Armour stuff would probably work, too. I wonder if they'll be hot in the summertime because they're synthetic. Again, we'll see. They also don't stretch at all ... just FYI.

I have to say the pants look nice, especially from the back. DH's ass hasn't looked this good in a long time. :D

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

tommytebco wrote:I have several pair of convertible hiking pants that I wear everywhere. The best pair is slate gray. They have cargo pockets. They convert to Bermuda length shorts. they are cotton/nylon blend. I have worn this pair for a month hiking and several times a month for nearly a year. They still look pretty good.The brand is Columbia.

wore this pair to Mexico for a month (only trousers I brought) they were perfectly adequate.

I usually buy here, when on sale for $20 or $30.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Sub ... _200368501
I have several pairs similar to these (maybe some are a competitor's brand, but most are Columbia PFG/Performance Fishing Gear), some now 9 years old. I wear them fishing, hiking, and working out in the yard anytime the job is too messy for just plain cotton gym shorts. They are lightweight and fast-drying and seem durable relative to anything I subject them to. The only thing I don't like is they have a lining similar to swimming trunks. I never convert them to shorts, so the lining is just annoying. I don't wear them every day.

I'm not sure if Columbia even makes them anymore, but Cabelas and Gander Mountain both make credible knockoffs. Don't think I've ever paid even $40 for a pair.