Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
JL13

Re: How to find BIFL products

Post by JL13 »

Go to ebay.com, search for item (i.e. "Pressure Cooker"). On the left side filter by condition -> "Used" and status ->"Sold". Sort results by price high to low.

Items that sell for high prices used are presumably higher quality, and many of these brands are professional grade and you've never heard of the them before.

Be careful - BIFL can be an expensive way to accumulate many rarely used items.

USAF Sgt

Post by USAF Sgt »

As far as I'm concerned something lasting a lifetime has more to do with the care the owner shows the item than it does with the item itself.

I too like owning high quality, durable, classic items that age well, appreciate or maintain value, and can be handed down to a younger generation, but with few exceptions, if you care for it, it will last, and if you don't care for it, it won't last.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@henders - This is one of those "unsearchable" problems. Basically, following many years of reading, I can read a lot of material in a fairly short amount of time to get a "diversified opinion". This means books, forums, reviews, magazines, ... in that order. This usually leads me in the right direction.

It's also worth developing one of those forgotten skills of "recognizing quality when you see it". Originally, there was a direct correlation between price and quality because the price was an indicator of the amount of labor spent and the cost of the materials where good materials cost more. This is generally not the case anymore and hasn't been so since robot manufacturing and branding took over, but people still believe in it. Consequentially if you know the technical details of what it takes to make something(*), you can also make an informed decision of whether you're buying quality of whether you're just buying something that looks like it. The more you know about "making stuff", the easier this gets (fundamental ERE principle).

(*) Actually, this knowledge can be quite depressing because you'll recognize most consumer goods for the flashy disposable junk they've become.

Finally, the best marker for quality is a product that has been in the market for many years (10+) without any changes/redesigns and which price is [typically] high and inflation adjusted.

Here's another example.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0234-6- ... B0000223HF

Read all the reviews and you'll see what I mean.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Can anyone recommend a BIFL daily carry backpack (preferred) or messenger bag (acceptable)?... I know there are some leather bags with 100 year warranties, but many of them also weigh 8 lbs, which I think would get annoying.

Ideas? Thanks!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@johnnyH - How big? Do you like internal organization or not? Where would you be carrying it daily? Through mud or boardrooms?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@jacob: Big enough to carry 3 days groceries, not so big it cannot be an airplane carry-on. Internal organization is nice, but can be worked around. Use 2x weekly for work and 4x daily for day trips and market trips in very dry climate... I prefer classic style, with muted colors (as opposed to big logos and neon colors) but it doesn't have to be so nice as to fit into a boardroom.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I have a goruck gr2, and have friends who have the gr1 and gr0. I can tell you that these bags are extremely high quality, and though it has a lifetime warranty, i wouldn't be surprised if i didn't need to use it. That said, they are also very expensive, so you might want to wait for a sale. If you're patient, they seem to have frequent sales of 15-20% off, especially if you don't care about the color. And make sure you plan on using it a lot. Otherwise the cost isn't really justified.

I spent two weeks in australia with only the contents of my gr2, and never had to do laundry. It's my catch-all bag from everything from overnight backpacking to multi-week trips. For a day bag, it might be too big. If you are 6' or over, i'd go gr1, and if you have a smaller frame, gr0. My brother has both the gr0 and the 5.11 pack that jacob mentioned, and he loves them both (gr0 for day pack, 5.11 for backpacking).

C40

Post by C40 »

For messenger bags:
- Chrome bags are definitely made to last.
- Timbuk2 are also good. Probably won't last as long as a Chrome. The additional pockets they have make them a little easier to use in many situations.

If you're planning to wear these on a bicycle, Chrome are more comfortable. They sort of wrap around your back, whereas Timbuk 2's are more like a bag with their shape that rests on your back.

bryan

Post by bryan »

C40 wrote:For messenger bags:
- Chrome bags are definitely made to last.
- Timbuk2 are also good.
You forgot the other San Francisco company, Mission Workshop.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some backpack alternatives:

If you're only walking a couple of miles, a good (non-plasticy) tote bag is very useful and very underrated. It packs to almost nothing (pants pocket) and as long as it has long handles, you can loop it over your shoulder and certainly carry three days of groceries. Alternatively, around your wrist, several times for a closed package. Bonus: If your homeland security enforcers want to search it, you don't need to waste much time since it's pretty obvious what's in it compared to a tacticool bag.

Scottevest (for the cell phone gadget crowd); alternatively any kind of jacket that features a "game pocket" (big pocket intended for dead rabbits or grouse but which allows you to carry 3-4 books or a sack of potatoes). Filson has become the main urban lumberjack brand here and prices has consequentially gone up a lot.

If you want to impress me: http://www.onebag.com/weight-watching.html (#really light packing)

bryan

Post by bryan »

Good tips jacob. I'm looking for a day pack to replace my laptop messenger bag (which has gotten too heavy with extra stuff to cope with the #vanlife), but so far have always used a drawstring bag (free overstock from a sports league in the city) to great effect (just nothing too heavy or sharp..)

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Freitag makes packs and bags out of truck tarp and other recycled components. Not a style for everyone, but I like the eco aspect and that you never have to worry about getting it dirty. Have used one for three years.

http://www.freitag.ch/

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/23909
http://killspencer.com/utility-backpack.html ($$$$)

First time I hear about this one. My experience with leather is that the stitches tend to die over time (~10 years). They're fixable though.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

bryan wrote:Good tips jacob. I'm looking for a day pack to replace my laptop messenger bag (which has gotten too heavy with extra stuff to cope with the #vanlife), but so far have always used a drawstring bag (free overstock from a sports league in the city) to great effect (just nothing too heavy or sharp..)
EDC Bag Forum

Main Page of EDC Forum with some bags

military style luggage (if you want plain black look under law enforcement, red is under Fire and EMS) They have a laptop backpack that says it also carries a helmet. I've always wondered if it would work for a bike commuter.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

http://www.sandpiperca.com/products.php

BTW I have a black Duluth Scout pack I'm willing to trade. n case anyone is interested. It's an ultrasimple design with a slim profile that doesn't hold a lot of bulky stuff. Excellent for carrying a few books and small incidentals. Not good for 2 heads of lettuce and a bag of rice. Also makes you look like a hipster.