How many of you wear glasses or contacts?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

How many of you wear glasses or contacts?

Post by TopHatFox »

Today I was thinking about my eyesight and how screwed I'd be if I wanted to live in the wild for a while--glasses breaking, getting lost, no solution for contacts, etc.

I don't like being dependent on glasses to be able to see well. Have you guys ever thought about improving your vision naturally (no surgery) to the point that glasses/contacts aren't necessary anymore? Any ideas how to go about it?

Ego

Re: How many of you wear glasses or contacts?

Post by Ego »

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

This is great! Training the eye to focus gradually on farther and farther objects or closer and closer, depending if one is near-sighted or far-sighted. Simple, requires long-term effort, and causes short-term discomfort. I like it.

I'll give this method a try starting now, probably every time I'm reading or using the computer.

Let's see what happens over a few months to a year!

chenda

Post by chenda »

I don't think there is any evidence that eye exercises can improve vision.

Laser surgery is the only way to remove the need for glasses. Or if your in the wild, just carry a spare pair :)

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Update: I can now read a few inches farther without glasses than I could 2 weeks ago.

Woo.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I wear glasses. I don't wear them most of the time though, since I don't want to become dependent on them. I'm nearsighted but can see functionally well without them; no optometrist seems to believe me.

The experts say you should get a new eye exam once a year to update your prescription, but I am definitely not going to do this. I feel like that would just make my vision worse and worse, and I don't need perfect vision for glasses I only wear some of the time. I used my first pair from August 2007 to April 2014 and am now on my second pair.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I wear glasses. Anything more than a foot away from my face is at least a little bit blurry.

I like my blurry vision, however, and would not consider permanent correction.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Eye examinations can detect various health problems at an early stage so they are definitely worth doing. Upgrading a glasses prescription though can be a personal decision, aside from statutory vision minima for things like driving.

makincaid

Post by makincaid »

I've done it. I managed to reduce my prescription from -3.00 to -1.50. I think I have too much eye strain from reading to ever get down to 20/20.

Check out "Relearning to See" by Thomas Quackenbush (Unfortunate last name).

workathome

Post by workathome »

LOL, Dr. Quack.

Ian

Post by Ian »

I wear glasses and to be honest it's never bothered me much. I suppose it's been long enough that I'm simply used to it.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I don't mind wearing my glasses, though the dependence annoys me philosophically a bit. Then again, I'd freeze to death without clothes too, so no matter how you cut it I'm not a totally independent and free mammal.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I wear glasses--progressive lenses (bifocals that don't look like bifocals....). Made that definitive move to official middle age about 4 years ago... I also have an astigmatism, so I've worn glasses since I was a kid. I am probably going to look into Lasik in another year or two; my eye doctor cautioned against it earlier because he said that a person's eyes change the most in their 40's and if I had it done then, I'd probably have to have it again. Ah, yet another joy of turning 50--AARP membership and Lasik...

I don't mind wearing glasses; had contacts briefly and couldn't stand messing with them. I like things low maintenance. But there are times when wearing glasses is inconvenient.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I broke my last pair of reading glasses (I usually keep some spares but haven't stocked up during COVID). Part of the reason I keep breaking them, aside from my propensity for breaking things, is that I always buy cheap readers. I was thinking of upgrading this time to see if they would last longer.

Have any of you used Warby Parker? They'll ship 5 different pairs of my choosing to try on and then I just ship back the ones I don't want for free. It's not a bad deal and I'd rather not go to a store and put glasses other people have touched on my face. At least with WP, I can wipe off the glasses and sit them in the sunlight a while before I try them on.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I like the try on feature from Zenni. As someone that is nearsighted it is easier than trying on actual glasses. I also like that I can get a pair on progressive lenses and frames for $60-90 depending on what frame I choose.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i “only” need them for reading and computer, but i’m reading all the time, so... i have them on all day.

and yeah i use zenni too. last appointment with optician was postponed due to pandemic so i just reordered to tie me over.

having said that, the frames i bought from costco for the computer are far superior. but of course pricier...

i used to have a book for vision improvement written by aldous huxley he wrote after “eyeless in gaza,” propounding a method by one... dr barnes i think it was. i wouldn’t mind trying that & see if i can focus closer, although no exercise will fix my mild astigmatism. should i have it punched into shape? :lol: but no, seriously, i might try the links above... i hate the dependence.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

i'm supposed to wear glasses but i don't. i can deal without them so i'd rather not bother. i only put them on infrequently, if my eyes are very tired. i tell myself this is why my eyesight has not deteriorated further

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

when i refused to wear glasses what deteriorated was my reading :(

but i’ll experiment with blurred vison nevertheless....

read in one of those links the doctor’s name was not barnes but BATES. apparently it was all bs? maybe huxley took too much mescaline.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've had good luck with https://lensesrx.com/ for re-lensing second hand frames with my prescription. Very inexpensive.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

39dollarglasses.com:

1st pair, 2018: $39 - $10 coupon +$5 shipping = $34
2nd pair, 2019: $24 + 4.95 shipping = $27.59

Both pairs are to correct both eyes (two different prescription) for distance only.